Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

September 17th : weekend hobbying? 

I went to paintclub for 4 hours on Saturday,  which is likely to be my only hobbytime until   Monday.  
I took 3 figures to work on, 2 partially finished.  I never got passed the first one.

painting in a comic book style is completely foreign to me, and I spent way longer than I though I would getting it right. 
then I took this photo and realized how mismatched the eyes actually were.  aiming to finish on Monday.

Solid bold colors, no mixing paint,  all shadows created by black lines or hatching. 
blue and white are the only suitable colors for highlights.   

anime.jpg

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

No, probably not.

There are PEOPLE out there! :wow:

But there's also rum, or (insert favourite beverage here)!  I do agree though, my miniatures don't bug me, don't talk back, and most importantly, it isn't a long trip to get TO my minis.  Seriously, I spin my chair and roll it like three feet and I'm at the painting desk...  Takes me longer to pick whatever song or mix I'll be putting on in my headphones than it does to get to my painting desk! 

• Like 9

On 9/16/2023 at 1:01 PM, Thoramel said:

Weekend Questions!

Question September 16: Are you getting out of the house to do anything fun this weekend? If so, care to post a picture? If not, what's keeping you from getting out?

Question September 17: Did you get any hobbying done over the weekend? If so, care to show us a picture of what you're working on?

Bonus: If you answered no to both of the above, can you share a picture of what you're getting up to? 

I just kind of want to see everyone sharing pictures!

16: didn't get out much.  A picture of why:
image.png.a4761c45fff364134226d222146ad6dc.png

17: did some assembly but didn't get to painting as things kept coming up (mostly a work issue I was on call for that dragged on for most of the day).
20230916_IMG_1456.JPG.99ba34f7d29ecdc36747daacbcf458cb.JPG

I have tomorrow off so the plan is to get some painting done tomorrow morning.  Hopefully.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 9/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, Thoramel said:

Weekend Questions!

Question September 16: Are you getting out of the house to do anything fun this weekend? If so, care to post a picture? If not, what's keeping you from getting out?

Question September 17: Did you get any hobbying done over the weekend? If so, care to show us a picture of what you're working on?

Yes, I went to Paint-a-Thon in a large town on Saturday afternoon. They took lots of photos of the events, including my minis. They haven't posted the photos yet, ergo, no photos. I learned a lot about myself.

First of all, I learned I do not like painting in a social environment. There was nothing wrong with the lighting and lots of people were producing very nice painting under it, but it's not my thing.

Secondly, I tested out AP Speedpaints and I don't like them. The colours are super vibrant, but not my thing. That was the extent of my painting at the event, I slopped some sample paint on a little 3D print and left it there.

Thirdly, my ego is quite fragile. My unit of 10 pink horrors took first place in the group category--for beginners. I am not a beginner, I've been painting something like 15 years. I told the event organizer that I felt my award was wrongly earned, but he said to keep it anyway. So my nose is a bit out of shape that I got put in the beginner group. Honestly, I would rather not have placed in the expert category. Then I pouted for the rest of the weekend and poured over photos in the wargaming magazine and decided my painting isn't any worse than what is published in most of the articles. Then I thought about why I paint. I paint for me. I enjoy it. Marathon runners run because they enjoy it--I'll never understand why--not so they can place. (Not all, there are notorious cheaters and super competitors, of course.) I paint so I have monsters when I will finally find people to play games with. If someone dings up a mini, I won't freak out. I want you to touch them and move them on your turn. It won't be long until I get back on the hobby horse. 

Finally, I doubt I will ever go to ReaperCon in person. It's not that I'm not a people person, it's just that given my self-discovery journey of mini mini con, I'd rather go to a con to play games. 

I did have a nice time. I met lots of nice people. The box of still in blister minis went on the prize table and we gave them out to anyone who didn't place in a category. They will find happy homes. Someone else will have the opportunity to enjoy the excess of Breast Cancer Pink I get every year with my October order. I met lots of nice people.  

• Like 15

On 9/16/2023 at 5:01 PM, Thoramel said:

Weekend Questions!

Bonus: If you answered no to both of the above, can you share a picture of what you're getting up to? 

Nope to both, was feeling too low and frazzled to do much over the weekend.

• Like 3
  • Sad 7

On 9/16/2023 at 11:01 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 17: Did you get any hobbying done over the weekend?

I did not. 

F in chat. 

Like them gamer kidz say. 

I clocked up a double No. 

Bonus: If you answered no to both of the above, . . .

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

I did not manage to hobby.  Sunday I groceried.  That was so exhausting I then slept.  Then I woke up, ate something, took more cough meds, and slept in the recliner.  I just woke up enough to go sleep in bed. 

I could share a picture of pretzel buns from krogers, but too sleepy and who'd really care?

• Like 7
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 18: Today is National Cheeseburger Day. Do you like cheeseburgers (either beef or some other meat/meat alternative)? If so what are your favorite burger toppings? What kind of side dishes do you like with your burger?

@TGP, this is the day you've been practicing for!

Yes, I do. 

Beef, please. Bison is also good. No turkey, or veggie patty wannabes.

I like the usual toppings. (tomatoes, pickles, onions, lettuce, ketchup and mustard or BBQ sauce, bacon, cheese. Also willing to try new things.)

Some kind of potato (French fries, chips, etc.). I made grilled seasoned potatoes last night to go with the burgers that I grilled.

I will be having one for lunch in a few hours.

Now that the weekend is over, I'll circle back and answer the Sunday question later on, BTW.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Luckily - I got resupplied with the essential ingredients (buns, beef) yesterday. 

I had no clue it was NCBDay. 

Question September 18: Today is National Cheeseburger Day.

I. Did. Not. Know. That. 

Do you like cheeseburgers??

Yes. 

(either beef or some other meat/meat alternative)?

I tried Emu once. Bison might be acceptable. 

Do you guys know that Burger is from Hamburger ? Meaning the way the folk of Hamburg, Germany (I.e.: Hamburgers) prepared beef back in the day?  True story. Word is from the town. 

If so what are your favorite burger toppings?

The search is ongoing. There may not be ..Only One.. set of toppings. 

I sometimes enjoy an Archer Burger. Named after Captain Jonathan Archer, Starfleet, circa 2014. 

What kind of side dishes do you like with your burger?

Onion Rings, Sweet Potato Fries, Red Robin’s French Fries, Chips (British) or Chips (as in crisps) American, Baked Potato, Mustard Potato Salad, Pickle Spear. There are probably a few more. 

• Like 10

Question September 18: Today is National Cheeseburger Day. Do you like cheeseburgers (either beef or some other meat/meat alternative)? If so what are your favorite burger toppings? What kind of side dishes do you like with your burger?

I can no haz cheesburger. I'm celiac. I miss hamburgers so much. I will tell you that we make meatloaf with pork rinds instead of bread crumbs and it is amazing! I used to have that national favorite, KD. (Kraft Mac 'N Cheese for you Yankees.) I used to love onion rings and a root beer with my burger. That was a match made in heaven. 

• Like 8

On 9/16/2023 at 12:01 PM, Thoramel said:

Weekend Questions!

It was a quiet weekend.

The only "major" thing I had was that slow cooked picnic pork shoulder that took 10 hours to reach the right temperature for pulled pork. I started it later than expected on Saturday and only turned off the oven around midnight. I crackled the rind later the next day.

My hobbying will be this evening.

• Like 9

Weekend Questions!

September 16th: I did get out of the house this weekend with my significant other! We visited some family and had some authentic rum they brought back from their Carribean vacation! 😋 

September 17th: Just a little bit! I finished out painting a Demolitionist for Gloomhaven: Jaws of the Lion! (Don't worry, there's no spoilers as it's a starting character!) 

Bonus: Pfft...who needs bonus when you have all the answers?! 😆

71634114818__5EEAC1DF-5123-42A3-B868-A0E9DE3A1228.JPG

IMG_0773.JPG

IMG_0775.jpeg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

I like burgers in all forms. Beef, chicken, fish, ham, etc. With or without cheese.

For toppings, I find my burger never has enough room for everything, so it varies. But I usually add something spicy, either hot sauce or hot peppers.

Side dishes? The classic french fires is a safe bet, but I'm open to onion rings, rice, nachos or whatever. Even better, get a second burger as side dish!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I find uses for ground meats, but cheeseburgers are not one of them.  I like my meats thoroughly cooked: no pink, well done.  The patty form does not facilitate this.  I break the meat into crumbles. Season with any number of spices, maybe caramelize some diced onion along with.  Serve with mashed potatoes or such. 

I also do not like many of the traditional toppings, tomatoes and their products, pickles, mustard, mayonnaise or facsimiles thereof, raw onions, or iceberg lettuce. Or standard commercial white bread.  Haven't been able to stomach that since the sixth-grade ecology camp trip where they made no effort to deal with my inability to stomach tomato products when making the menu, (they were told beforehand by my parents), thus wonder bread style buns were the only thing I ate for lunch and dinner for four days.  They didn't even have butter.  I got so desperate for flavor I sprinkled one meal with pepper.  It's been almost 30 years and the thought of such bread still makes me gag.

• Like 8