Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

11 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 19: What's the earliest time of day you are required to get out of bed for work/adult responsibilities? 

Brought to you by a guy who had to roll out of bed at 5AM today. 

Normal time to rise and not shine is 6:20.  Mrs.  Strawhat is up a little before that,  and the cat a little before that! 

Despite being a not-morning person, I can get up earlier. But I really prefer not to do that. 

• Like 7

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

17 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 19: What's the earliest time of day you are required to get out of bed for work/adult responsibilities? 

With previous position, it was 04:30, which is a terrible time to be getting up.  New position (currently temporary but in the process of becoming permanent) I'm up at a much more agreeable 09:00.  Would be even later, but I need time to do the be awake thing. 

One exception is currently on Sundays, where I have to be up at 07:30 in order to be awake for my meal kit delivery, since Good Food can't decide what time of day I'll get my delivery. 

• Like 7

On 9/16/2023 at 10:01 AM, Thoramel said:

Weekend Questions!

Question September 16: Are you getting out of the house to do anything fun this weekend? If so, care to post a picture? If not, what's keeping you from getting out?

If going out for a bit to meet with a delivery driver counts, sure!  I don't do much on weekends really, other than relax, hobby, and get caught up on this or that. 

Question September 17: Did you get any hobbying done over the weekend? If so, care to show us a picture of what you're working on?

Got some painting done on my Pathfinder Red Dragon.  Pics aren't it's current progress, but, y'know, that requires taking more pictures to be able to show things off 😛

20230917_005419.thumb.jpg.c6c5a83f7d5111e9475443fa57d943ab.jpg20230917_005433.thumb.jpg.62fa44c8e77b390658c3af0e041c65d4.jpg

Bonus: If you answered no to both of the above, can you share a picture of what you're getting up to? 

I just kind of want to see everyone sharing pictures!

I'm up to no good... I think?  No idea, really. 😛

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 9:49 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 18: Today is National Cheeseburger Day. Do you like cheeseburgers (either beef or some other meat/meat alternative)? If so what are your favorite burger toppings? What kind of side dishes do you like with your burger?

Yeah, I eat them, but I limit myself to only a few in a month. Too much fat content doesn't agree with my stomach these days. I'll just about any kind of burger, beef, turkey, even had a bison burger once. I'm a simple man, so I really just want mustard and a few slices of tomato on my burger. And french fries or tater tots for a side, please. That way I can share some with Molly and Dixie.

19 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Currently, I work a flex shift that starts at 2:30pm, so I don't have to be out of bed until around 10am (provided a canine nose isn't prodding me awake). I've worked a job before where I've had to wake up at 3:45am to drive 1.5 hours for a 6am start time. That was horrible, and is why I currently work at my current job, much closer to home.

• Like 10

On 9/18/2023 at 3:49 PM, Thoramel said:

Question September 18: Today is National Cheeseburger Day. Do you like cheeseburgers (either beef or some other meat/meat alternative)? If so what are your favorite burger toppings? What kind of side dishes do you like with your burger?

@TGP, this is the day you've been practicing for!

As it is we had a Burger for Dinner last Tuesday.

A Burger is made of BEEF! Feel free to have a another ( wrong) opinion.

Topped with Iceberg Lettuce, A Pickle, Bacon, Cheese and a Fried Egg,

Curry and Mayo.

Sides: White Beans in Tomato Sauce and French Fries.

20230914_175905.jpg.8796b366c9f18c5fb3a51b60296349c7.jpg

19 hours ago, Thoramel said:

6:15 Hours.

• Like 9

On 9/19/2023 at 7:19 AM, Thoramel said:

I roll out of bed at 6:30 and rouse the kids and start getting things ready for the day (lunches packed, etc...)...  When I met my wife, we were working a job where we had to be in the office for 5am...  I don't miss those days.  😉  

• Like 10

Question September 20: What's the oddest way you have ever been injured/injured yourself. 

For example, my wife managed to somehow give herself what amounts to a deep paper cut on her eyeballs yesterday while removing a mask. Quite the odd injury and now I'm sitting here at home taking care of her and letting her know I will be using this to make fun of her for being a klutz for a long time to come.

• Like 3
  • Haha 6
  • Sad 4

4 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 20: What's the oddest way you have ever been injured/injured yourself. 

For example, my wife managed to somehow give herself what amounts to a deep paper cut on her eyeballs yesterday while removing a mask. Quite the odd injury and now I'm sitting here at home taking care of her and letting her know I will be using this to make fun of her for being a klutz for a long time to come.

Nothing particularly odd here. Just the usual childhood misadventures, and 'should have more carefuls' of adulthood.

Laughing at you picking on your wife, BTW, not her injury.

• Like 9

2 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 20: What's the oddest way you have ever been injured/injured yourself?

I skied onto a snow bank. Then I crunched through the top hard layer into the slushy squashy snow below. Boots now buried, I stopped abruptly

Rookie skier that I was, I had anticipated a nice gentle pile of powder that would slow me gradually. 

A lifetime of suffering later I now know better. 

• Sad 9

15 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

As a kid, I once got a toy spring stuck in my finger.

It was a toy prize from a fast food joint, that I quickly dismantled, and somehow one of the curvy pointy ends of the coiled spring got stuck in my finger like a sliver. I couldn't get it out until we got home. So we were driving home with me with a dangling spring on a sore finger. We got it removed quickly once home, but my brother and sister were joking and surmising my life with a stuck spring.

• Like 11

23 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I once partially tore my left calf walking on pavement.  I was marshaling, it was a practice session for the middle guys (not fast or slow) and one bike came through my corner (turn 2, the slowest corner on the track) and dropped his shift lever (which was dangling on the lock wire the whole way out of Turn 1) right on the line at the apex of Turn 2. I get out the debris flag and the first 4 or 5 guys to come through all avoid it.  Then comes this young guy on a Triumph and he runs Right Over It. (Discussions after, turns out he thought it was a candy bar wrapper.....which I also don't recommend running over at the apex of a corner on a race bike). He washes out the front end and ends up with his leg pinned under the bike lying right across the track.  We throw a quick Red Flag and once the field is past I just head up the track to check on him.  Half way there (just walking, not even really rushing) I feel a POP in my left calf.  I hobble over to him and he says, "It's ok, I think my leg took the worst of it." Perfect set up, so I couldn't resist replying with, "Yeah, me too.".....  I manage to get the bike up off him while standing on one leg, and then Rescue rolls up.  They spend two minutes on him and 15 minutes on me.  I spent the rest of the afternoon with an ice pack strapped to my leg sitting in the stand, instructing the newbie I was training. Went to emerg that evening, where they did nothing except confirm it was a partial tear, and give me an RX for some pain meds.

The actual cause was probably my sprint through the ravine behind 2 about an hour before that, when we had a "fast" rider high side going through Turn 5. He was laying on the track and there were about 7 bikes still to get through turn 5 before the marshal there could do anything but wave the Red.  Turn 5 is a fast right over a crest so the riders wouldn't be able to see him, so I handed the Red to my assistant and turn off running to get to him before anyone could run him over.  I probably over stressed the muscle then but it didn't pop until an hour later....
FYI, for anyone wondering why turn 2 and turn 5 are close together, here is the track map.
image.thumb.png.89318b0ba1533b2e9e7109087a68073c.png

• Like 9

41 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

When working at a Maximum Security Prison, I was stabbed twice [different occasions] and scalded 4 times, once with a face full of hot bleach.

Edited by Corsair
  • Sad 13

35 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I gave an impromptu piggy back ride to my wife while we were on vacation.  I remember the day, May 5th, but I'm fuzzy on the year, I think it was 2006.  I got a running start (with her on my back) and made a jump up onto a low retaining wall.  I couldn't quite make it, and we fell backwards, and I reflexively put my arm back to break the fall.  After celebrating 6 hours in the El Paso emergency room, we got up early the next morning and made the flight back to Seattle, my mangled arm/wrist packed in a cast, and x-rays packed in my carry on.  I toast it every Cinco de Mayo!

My condolences to your wife.  I've had a string of eye injuries over the years (in fact, I'm recovering from PRK right now) and they can be excruciatingly painful.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

I was combatting an adjustable dolly's handle during a house remodel. In my futile attempts to loosen up the handle to change its position...the handle decided it would protest and punch me right in the lip! Needless to say, I looked like a vampire who drank too much blood as I was accompanied to the local Urgent Care. 

• Like 10