Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

9 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 21: Do you prefer to see new movies at the theater, or would you rather wait and watch them at home and why?

Bonus: Have you ever tried Pawpaw fruit? 

There are some that are just better on the big screen.  Some I don't mind watching at home.  Now that movie passes are not a perk of DH's job we don't go to the theater any more. 

I have not tried pawpaw, though they grow here.  

• Like 8

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 21: Do you prefer to see new movies at the theater, or would you rather wait and watch them at home and why?

Bonus: Have you ever tried Pawpaw fruit? 

Well, I would prefer to see things in the theater, but it's just too expensive and no fun anymore.  Plus the assigned seating really put me off going to the movies anymore.  I used to love getting in there and picking my seat, watching trailers, etc.  But now?  No thanks.  I'll watch at home, with a really good picture on the TV, good food in the kitchen, etc.  And it's still the same price, or pretty close, when you buy the Blu Ray (even though they've jacked the prices on those recently as well).

I am unfamiliar with the pawpaw.

• Like 7

My sensitivity to noises and moving lights has pretty much stopped me from going to movies in the theater. Last commercial movie I saw was les mis. Javier and the Thenadiers were horribly miscast. I get splitting headaches and motion sick.  Too much time in front of our moderate sized TV can do the same thing.  I prefer my 13" laptop screen for most viewing.  It's small enough my eyes don't start hurting.  A 17" screen will cause pain.  I watched Evangelion 3+1 on my phone with the Amazon app, and that was just fine except for hand cramps. 

I am vaguely familiar with the pawpaw festival that was somewhere down by OU, but never got there in college. Not much on mangos, so haven't gone out of my way to find a source since. 

• Like 8

On 9/21/2023 at 1:02 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 20: What's the oddest way you have ever been injured/injured yourself. 

For example, my wife managed to somehow give herself what amounts to a deep paper cut on her eyeballs yesterday while removing a mask. Quite the odd injury and now I'm sitting here at home taking care of her and letting her know I will be using this to make fun of her for being a klutz for a long time to come.

Broke my toe having my son slide into it playing stuck in the mud

11 stitches (3 internal) a few weeks ago falling through a partially built floor frame...

• Like 7

54 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 22: If you could own any car/truck what would it be and why?

I would want something I could drive(?)  get in and out of. But, I have not shopped for vehicles in so long I have no clue what make or model it would be. 

Practical ^ answer. 

I wouldn’t want to blow money on something that just sits in my showroom:   Lamborghinis Porsches Ferraris. I suppose something like that could work as an investment, if it was rare enough. But that’s not my scene. I’m not much of a gearhead?

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

This is a tough one, because...  Oh wait, not really all that difficult... 1990-1992 Toyota Corolla GT-S with the 20V black top, open stack for the individual throttle bodies, G52 transmission (G60 would be tempting with six speeds, but the G52 is more  rugged), and a few other things. 

If I were to go newer, I'll take the Toyota GR86 or a Subaru Impreza WRX STi... 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

I’ve been on the waiting list for an electric Chevy Silverado since Jan of ‘22, so there’s that.  If I wanted to continue to burn dinosaurs for mobility, I think a classic limousine would be pretty fun.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

I'm happy enough with the Kia soul I drive now.  So same thing only a hybrid, deep teal colored, and a cd player.  I miss checking out piles of cds from the library and listening to them while driving.  I'm not as likely to listen to new music from my phone, and it is somewhat dependent on a wifi signal.  Even if I've downloaded a cd or two from the e-library, I need a signal to sign into the app.  Guess whose doctor's office is in a dead zone? 

• Like 9

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

While a hyper car would be fu (McClaren P1? It's even a hybrid) a nice big 4x4 quad cab full bed truck with all the towing capacity to haul whatever I needed would be a lot more useful.

Of course I'd need to win a lottery to buy a new one now, since prices have gone nuts.  And then win another lottery to afford to fuel it regularly......

• Like 8