Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 23: Happy Autumnal Equinox! It's officially Fall, the time of year when the sun crosses the celestial equator and day and night are of roughly equal lengths! While this is the official definition of the beginning of Fall - do you have any other personal definitions of when Fall begins?

Question September 24: Since we're on the subject of Autumn, do you have a favorite Fall activity?

Over here we're going to have some more sunny days maybe even a few weeks with temps in the 20's ( celsius).

So maybe Fall won't be so bad this year.

My favorite Fall activity is walking in the Woods spotting mushrooms and animals!

• Like 10

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

36 minutes ago, Glitterwolf said:

Over here we're going to have some more sunny days maybe even a few weeks with temps in the 20's ( celsius).

So maybe Fall won't be so bad this year.

My favorite Fall activity is walking in the Woods spotting mushrooms and animals!

Be glad you don't live near @malefactus Spooky Woods!

• Like 5
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 23: Happy Autumnal Equinox! It's officially Fall, the time of year when the sun crosses the celestial equator and day and night are of roughly equal lengths! While this is the official definition of the beginning of Fall - do you have any other personal definitions of when Fall begins?

Question September 24: Since we're on the subject of Autumn, do you have a favorite Fall activity?

I generally note the collective sigh as we northerners realize that the bill for those long days of summer is coming due.  But generally, the calendar works for me.  

I do like when the Fall bowling leagues start up!

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Death of the mosquitos, or there's at least a whole lot less of them around, making it a week or two of good times for going out for a walk. 

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Nothing really comes to mind, although half off candy day is always nice. (November 1st)

• Like 9

On 9/20/2023 at 11:02 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 20: What's the oddest way you have ever been injured/injured yourself. 

I somehow injured my left arm last week at work by doing nothing. First two hours of the shift I was just walking around the line, legitimately not doing anything. After our break time I came back and suddenly it hurt to bend my arm at the elbow through my forearm. Didn't do anything at all. Hurt for about 5 days. I applied some kinesiology tape to it, which took some of the edge off. Now it's back to working fine.

On 9/21/2023 at 7:13 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 21: Do you prefer to see new movies at the theater, or would you rather wait and watch them at home and why?

I'm an at home person. The price of buying the movie when it comes out on home media is equivalent to the price of going to the theater plus snacks. Plus I can rewatch it as many times as I like.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 22: If you could own any car/truck what would it be and why?

All I humbly want is a Honda CR-V. Leased two in the past, and had pleasant experiences. Didn't feel cramped in it, it drove nicely, and could handle my cargo needs with the gas mileage that I deemed acceptable. Though something a little lower to the ground would be more friendly towards my canine companions as we both age, easier to get them in and out.

Alas, after being rear-ended the insurance company is now trying to scrap my Honda Accord, which is of particular value to me as it was the last year that model came with a V6 engine. Trying to fight them on that one, though the outlook is bleak on it.

7 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Well, I was worried Fall was going to happen today while I was up on the roof painting some siding. The soles for my roofing shoes that say they are for asphalt shingles definitely don't grip as well as I would like.

To me, Fall is when a hoodie/sweatshirt becomes standard attire. I do love my hoodies.

• Like 10

8 hours ago, Thoramel said:

23: When the leaves start changing colors. There aren't many trees around here (damn you evergreens!) that do that.

24: Drinking cider and reading a book. Cuddling up and playing video games.

• Like 10

11 hours ago, Thoramel said:

The equinox is good enough for me.

H-O-C-K-E-Y Season is HERE!!  We're season ticket holders for the local NCAA team so we go to most games.

3 hours ago, ManvsMini said:

All I humbly want is a Honda CR-V. Leased two in the past, and had pleasant experiences. Didn't feel cramped in it, it drove nicely, and could handle my cargo needs with the gas mileage that I deemed acceptable. Though something a little lower to the ground would be more friendly towards my canine companions as we both age, easier to get them in and out.

Take a gander at the HR-V.  It's a little smaller, but it's lower to the ground and our mileage has been pretty good so far (25+ MPG city).  It's got enough room for two grandkids and groceries!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I live in central Texas, where there is no fall, only a slightly cooler version of summer (you know, highs in the mid- to upper-80s) until we get to generic kind-of-cool-weather season.  Sometimes there are a few days or a few weeks of mild winter, and there is something resembling spring, and of course 6-8 months of summer.  But there is nothing that can be reasonably be called fall.

I don't really have a favorite fall activity, but I do generally enjoy both Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Fall holidays are nice; if only they could more effectively fend off the appalling encroachment of Christmas.  The holiday gets the whole month of December, it doesn't need November or October.  (Or, increasingly, September.)

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Fall is when I stop wearing shorts.  Still has not started yet.

Fall activities: Mulled Cider, Vacation trip, Birthday.

• Like 10

22 hours ago, Thoramel said:

22 hours ago, Inarah said:

Fall starts on the equinox.  That's a reliable measure for me.  I don't go by air temp, leaf color, or the availability of pumpkin spice cronuts, since those are highly variable and promote seasonal revisionism. 

This.

11 hours ago, strawhat said:

H-O-C-K-E-Y Season is HERE!!  

HUZZAH!

9 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

I live in central Texas, where there is no fall, only a slightly cooler version of summer (you know, highs in the mid- to upper-80s) until we get to generic kind-of-cool-weather season.  Sometimes there are a few days or a few weeks of mild winter, and there is something resembling spring, and of course 6-8 months of summer.  But there is nothing that can be reasonably be called fall.

I don't really have a favorite fall activity, but I do generally enjoy both Halloween and Thanksgiving.  Fall holidays are nice; if only they could more effectively fend off the appalling encroachment of Christmas.  The holiday gets the whole month of December, it doesn't need November or October.  (Or, increasingly, September.)

I agree with all of this.

When I lived in a climate that was courteous enough to have separate and distinct seasons, going for a walk was an enjoyable fall activity. I'd do it during the other seasons too, but the temperatures made it more pleasant. 

Now that I'm currently living in Texas, the slightly cooler temperatures make it more possible.

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Thoramel said:

23rd: The equinox is fine for me.

24th: Doing things outside without sweating (too much).  I tend to save all my "summer projects" until fall, when I don't mind the heat so much.  I'd much rather work outside when it's in the 10-20C range. 

Main projects this year are replacing the shed doors and (the never ending) organizing the garage. Also working on heavy Mando armor now that the garage doesn't get up into the "warp PLA" temperatures.

• Like 9

On 9/23/2023 at 8:54 AM, Thoramel said:

Being able to go outside without getting fried, frozen, or eaten by bugs is high on my list.  I enjoy the seasonal culinary delights, apple cider, butternut squash, pears, brussels sprouts, as well as baking bread and muffins more often, enjoying cosy soups and stews. 

When I was younger I would go to harvest festivals and the state fair, make the rounds of farm stands on country roads, or go camping.  Those aren't things I can do in this region. 

11 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

Or July or August. 

Halloween can be fun with the right people, but I haven't been to a good party where people got into it in a long time.  I absolutely LOVE Thanksgiving, especially the food.  I'm fortunate to have friends who WANT to get together for Friendsgiving. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 9/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, Thoramel said:

Trips to apple orchards to buy apples are always fun. My favorite one sells a dark chocolate candy with a potent lemon filling. This is also the season where I start to drink more hot tea with honey and lemon.

My least favorite fall activity are gutter cleaning and all other forms of winterizing the house. We were finally going to get leaf-guards for the gutters, but the contractor could only come out on a Sunday, and my brother is staying with us while he recovers from surgery, sleeping during the day to work at night remotely. So no banging on the house allowed, which means no leaf-guards this year. *sad trombone*

• Like 9

On 9/21/2023 at 6:13 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 21: Do you prefer to see new movies at the theater, or would you rather wait and watch them at home and why?

Bonus: Have you ever tried Pawpaw fruit? 

Usually wait and watch at home, if at all.  Once in a great while there is a movie I am excited enough about and is epic enough that I want to see it at the theater.   Then I usually wait until a few weeks go by and go see it in the theater (this typically only happens every 5 years or so).

On 9/22/2023 at 8:42 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 22: If you could own any car/truck what would it be and why?

2023 Toyota Rav4: Woodland, but the kid's college isn't going to pay for itself, so I'll just keep driving the old one.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, Thoramel said:

When the mosquitos start not being as annoying in the evenings.

Fires in the evening, kayaking on the Yellow river through the wild rice stands, and watching the leaves turn.

• Like 9