Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

On 9/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 24: Since we're on the subject of Autumn, do you have a favorite Fall activity?

Thanksgiving dinner and holiday. Making a Turkey Cranberry Cornbread Dressing sandwich. 

Don’t care much about football but I do like the diminished air temps. 

• Like 10

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/23/2023 at 8:54 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 23: Happy Autumnal Equinox! It's officially Fall, the time of year when the sun crosses the celestial equator and day and night are of roughly equal lengths! While this is the official definition of the beginning of Fall - do you have any other personal definitions of when Fall begins?

Question September 24: Since we're on the subject of Autumn, do you have a favorite Fall activity?

For me, Autumn is when we get a good killing frost. The kind that the flies can't come back from. 

I love to go for walks with Lilly, but we do that year-round. I think I'm going with star gazing. I'm just starting to become a serious backyard astronomer and am learning more constellations. Fall is great because is gets dark earlier, but not super cold and we can still lay on the lawn. 

• Like 9

44 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system. What are you going to check out and why? What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

I have absolutely no idea whatsoever. 

I'm a technician, if I were to be involved in this mission in any fashion it would be installing, calibrating, and ensuring the proper operation of the electronic gizmos that they would be using.

• Like 9

54 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system. What are you going to check out and why? What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

A lander to the Sea of Tranquility on the Moon to see what kind of condition the previous Landers and Buggy are in after 50 years of exposure.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Hmm, maybe a lander to Mars, targeting one of the ice caps, to determine quantity and quality of water trapped in the ice, to determine viability for future missions.  If it could process and store some for the future as well...that might be useful.

• Like 7

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system.

Well that was ^^ foolish, but OK. 

This isn’t feasible (we have nothing fast enough) but the object is still in the solar system. It does have escape velocity and it crossed Neptune’s orbit back in March. But it ain’t gone until it passes the Oort Cloud!

What are you going to check out and why?

Oumuamua

Because it was strange, because it was probably outgassing H2, because it’ll be gone if not examined soon. 

What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

A succession of vehicles which separate as they approach. Flyby, followed by Orbiter, Followup with autonomous touch and go landers (hoppers really).

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Given our currently superior optic capabilities I'd like to kick something far enough out to look for the Oort Cloud.  Voyager's not going to make it for hundreds of years yet, but we might get something orbiting in the area of Pluto within a few decades.  Why? Because it's there and we can.  

• Like 11
  • Confused 1

On 9/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 22: If you could own any car/truck what would it be and why?

I would like to get a Porsche from my birth year and send it off to Germany for a full overhaul with modern parts, if nothing else so it would run on unleaded fuel.  

On 9/23/2023 at 10:54 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 23: Happy Autumnal Equinox! It's officially Fall, the time of year when the sun crosses the celestial equator and day and night are of roughly equal lengths! While this is the official definition of the beginning of Fall - do you have any other personal definitions of when Fall begins?

Fall starts when the leaves start changing and it's no longer shorts weather in the morning.  

Hmm Fall activity...  sipping a hot beverage outside when the air has just that crisp edge to it.  Not quite hat/gloves weather, but just before...  

On 9/22/2023 at 11:03 PM, Corsair said:

Ultra Magnus?

Optimus Prime.  Ultra Magnus is more blue/white with red missiles on his shoulders...  🤓

I would support launching another (more?) deep space telescopes.  We don't have the tech to really travel far but having a better look at what's out there is still super useful.  

• Like 10

I can help with two of the most important aspects...  Logistics/warehousing, and COFFEE. The amount of things I could do having that kind of power over an entire organization, since so many engineers, technicians, and designers rely on coffee... 

Edited by WhiteWulfe
  • Like 8
  • Haha 2

On 9/23/2023 at 9:54 AM, Thoramel said:

September 23: Of course! When the weather actually begins to "fall" below triple digits! No...but really, when it probably hits about 70's does it feel like the season has changed. 

September 24: Absolutely! I really enjoy seasonal activities, like going for walks over the course of the fall transition to watch the leaves change from green to gold to orange and finally disperse themselves on the ground. And of course drinking and eating "seasonal" foods....I mean, sure I can could have a pumpkin latte or eat pumpkin pie anytime of the year; but it doesn't feel quiet the same. 

• Like 10

On 9/22/2023 at 9:42 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 22: If you could own any car/truck what would it be and why?

Though I'm quite content with my hybrid RAV4, I would like to own a Mitsubishi Lancer EVO. Unassuming at first glance, but monsters under the hood.

But I have to wonder how they handle winter snowbanks.

Easy as I live somewhere where the colour change in leaves coincides nicely with the equinox.

Just walking outside in wooded trails with half of the leaves fallen on the ground, the other half colourfully still in the trees. The cool dry air mixed with the low warm sun.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I have no idea why I have been given such a responsibility, but I would make sure to do plenty of research before deciding on a target or how to get there.  Given current technology, I think unmanned missions to objects farther away makes the most sense, but I have always been at least a little fascinated by the idea of a colony on the moon or Mars.  Though I have read enough about the idea (and enough dystopian literature!) to know how bad it would probably be to have such a things established by private enterprise, and I'm not convinced government would be much better, so maybe it's best if we just don't do that.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Ladies and gentlemen, WE'RE GOING TO CERES! Our closest dwarf planet (formerly largest asteroid) in the asteroid belt. Why should Pluto get all the attention?

All unmanned missions. An orbiter and lander would be planned at first. Long term low-gravity experiments (3% of Earth's) would be interesting. A few mining endeavours and throw in a few telescopes on it (both optical and radio).

Long-term, it could become a way-point for deeper solar system exploration. Particularly for refuelling with mined water (assuming we manage fusion propulsion one of these days).

Really long-term, build a battle space station out of it (forget Mimas, too obvious).

• Like 9
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I’m going to the moon, specifically, Mare Crisium, where a mysterious pyramidal structure has been detected.  I’m bringing a collection of spectral readers, solvents and explosives to determine the best way to penetrate the invisible shield that prevents approach…

• Like 8
  • Confused 2

11 hours ago, Thoramel said:

To Cthulhu, and BEYOND!

80etu6.jpg.18fafbcd2a4171c76791e3ea76108d74.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 12
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1