Thoramel

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Game or Movie reference ?

It could probably be considered all of the above, plus “story.”  Arthur C. Clarkes short story “The Sentinel” formed the nugget that the movie (and later - yes later - the book) 2001 was based on.  Kubrick and Clarke changed the location on the moon and shape of the monolith, as well as a few other things, but I’m traveling back to my own preferred fantasy universe, thank you very much!  I’m still hoping to get my evolutionary payoff for my troubles! 

• Like 7

22 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system. What are you going to check out and why? What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

Maned Mission Mars.  (Maybe we can get Corporate sponsorship from some company? Talking you, 3M)

8 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 26: If you were to start your own country what would it be called? What colors would your flag be? And what would be pictured on your currency? 

Piland, Blue on Blue flag and my picture on currency.

For those wondering why Piland my two initials are T.  Put together they are π.

• Like 13

10 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 26: If you were to start your own country what would it be called? What colors would your flag be? And what would be pictured on your currency? 

Starting a country sounds too much like work, what with dealing with civic projects, taxes, infrastructure, city planning, etc.. Better to just create your own quiet little demi-plane where reality can be changed on a whim, less hassle that way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 7

12 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

If my plans come to fruition, you'll all find out in about 10 years. :devil:

• Haha 13

25th:in 8th grade I did a very serious science fair project discussing possible lifeforms on the planet Uranus. Our teacher was incompetent, but a Carl Sagan nut, so we were allowed to do flights of space fancy instead of actual experiments.  Gill fringe on their heads to absorb methane from the atmosphere, water strider legs to float on the surface of the hydrogen lakes, and feathery mouthparts to filter feed as they floated along.  Made a mockup out of a Foil Covered Styrofoam ball with feathers, bargin bin fringe trim, and part of a kinex set.  So I'd send the probe there, flyby closer and closer before descending into the planet and dying with a final burst of info. 

26th.  Trying not to get too political, but I think I'd call it Proudlandia, and co-opt the "more colors more pride" flag.  The currency would feature famous works of secular art from around the world, similar to Italian euro coins.  Starry night on the five proud bill, Hokusai's great wave on the 1 proud coin.  Our motto could be Shakespeare's "this above all: to thine own self be true."  National animal axolotls, just because.  They'd be on the pennies, which would be nicknamed axys. Then we could joke that it take a lotl axys to make one proud.  

• Like 12

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Mine would be a theocracy. I'd let the people choose the name. My flag would have a lot of blue and the stars in the sky, representing our nation's heavenly goal. Our national animal would be the honeybee, because they are industrious and selfless--and they made delicious honey! Our currency would have pictures of industries like farming, fishing and the like on one side and holy sites and people on the other side. It would be colourful money. The coins would have different industry symbols on them, like a rock hammer and a wheat sheaf. 

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

(-insert generic country name here-) That would be the name, the flag will be a solid field of purple with a teal streak running through it. I would want to use that one currency system where they trade really big rocks that have been carved into rings and the people just trade possession of the rocks.

• Like 12

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Let's be silly and call it Catlantis.  All cats are equal citizens with voting rights.  Our flag would be covered in cat hair, along with everything else.  Our currency would be affection. As the Beatles said, "All you need is love." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

The Isle of Ted.  I figure we’ll start out small and sensibly defensible - kind of like starting Risk! with Australia.

Our flag would be iridescent, a shimmering field of blues, greens and purples embedded with a 3D holographic hypnotoad.

Our currency would feature rotating tools to improve the practical literacy of our populace: earths orbital diagrams, ideal gas equations, conjugation charts for verbs and maybe the cycle of fourths/fifths, etc…

I’ve been accused of viewing “Captain Fantastic” less like fiction and more like an aspirational training film… this would be my chance!

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

3 hours ago, Inarah said:

Let's be silly and call it Catlantis.  All cats are equal citizens with voting rights.  Our flag would be covered in cat hair, along with everything else.  Our currency would be affection. As the Beatles said, "All you need is love." 

This one doesn't sounds too bad at all.  The cats are currently clawing at their paperwork to join......

For myself, Jasperia sounds good.  Flag is Black and Purple, not sure of the exact design yet. Stripes or angles or something.

Currency would have cool big stompy robots on it, just because.

• Like 9

On 9/25/2023 at 7:55 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system. What are you going to check out and why? What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

I want to check out the proposed orbit of "Planet 9."  Maybe the planet exists, maybe it doesn't, but I'd like to find out.

12 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I have no such designs.  I wouldn't even know what to do with millions of adoring subjects.

• Like 8