Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

10 hours ago, strawhat said:

I want to check out the proposed orbit of "Planet 9."  Maybe the planet exists, maybe it doesn't, but I'd like to find out.

That mission is ongoing. **Currently being pursued. At this point the area to “check out” is impossibly vast to be sending spacecraft to look at portions of it. The potential swath that could contain its orbit extends out close to the Oort Cloud with the closest approach to the Sun being beyond Neptune’s orbit. 

(We’d need USS Enterprise D and it’s combination of speed and sensors and even then it would take a few days to scour the whole gargantuan ellipse.)

**At this point telescopes are being pointed, and old telescopic imagery is being scoured, to see if by chance Planet 9 was a blip in the background. 

This one is as unfeasible as my idea. 

• Like 6

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/26/2023 at 7:15 AM, Thoramel said:

Question September 26: If you were to start your own country what would it be called? What colors would your flag be? And what would be pictured on your currency? 

It'll be ReaperLand! Not the show but an actual country.

• Main industry: Hosting ReaperCon
  • Currency: Reaper Bucks. Ed Pugh will be pictured.
  • Flag colours: Midnight black; walnut brown; breast cancer awareness pink (because we all seem to have a lot of those paints).
  • National animal: Kolinsky sable
  • Notable landmarks and locations:
    • Statue of Ed Pugh
    • Sophie museum of arts & crafts
    • Sir Forscale agency of standards and measures.
    • @buglips*the*goblin pest control centre.
    • Pugh Bros garage
    • Reaper Jon news station
    • Reaper Ron Wombat dance studio
    • Ye Olde Paint Shoppe

So many possibilities.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 11

On 9/25/2023 at 2:55 PM, Thoramel said:

Question September 25: You (yes, you behind the keyboard) have been selected to help plan NASA's next exploration mission of an object within the solar system. What are you going to check out and why? What are the details of the mission (flyby, lander, etc.)? 

Right, an robotic explorer that can break through the ice and see if there's an ocean ( and what is in there) on Europa and Titan.

On 9/26/2023 at 1:15 PM, Thoramel said:

Question September 26: If you were to start your own country what would it be called? What colors would your flag be? And what would be pictured on your currency? 

What makes you think I didn't already citizen?

ALL HAIL WOOF!!

Now salute the black flag with the white paw!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

• Flag colours: Midnight black; walnut brown; breast cancer awareness pink (because we all seem to have a lot of those paints).
    • Statue of Ed Pugh
    • Pugh Bros garage
    • Ye Olde Paint Shoppe

So many possibilities.

WINNER!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4

On 9/26/2023 at 6:15 AM, Thoramel said:

The idea that I would pick a name, and design the flag and currency, suggests some sort of authoritarian regime.  I am definitely not an authoritarian type; I would much prefer something democratic.  (Though I have noticed many people, probably the vast majority, seem to have no problem with authoritarianism, as long as their preferred people are the ones in charge.  Most people seem to agree in general idea with George W. Bush's quip, "If this were a dictatorship it would be a heck of a lot easier... as long as I'm the dictator.")

Plus, there is no way I can beat the idea of ReaperLand:

50 minutes ago, Cranky Dog said:

• Statue of Ed Pugh
    • Pugh Bros garage
    • Ye Olde Paint Shoppe

So many possibilities.

So now back to my schemes for taking over existing countries rather than founding new ones...

• Like 2
  • Haha 8

40 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 27: Would you say you're more of an introvert or an extrovert? Do you ever find yourself in situations where you're more intro or extroverted than you would normally be?

Naturally an introvert. I don't like making a fuss and appreciate the quiet times.

I'm less of an introvert in family gatherings or geek events like RCon.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 27: Would you say you're more of an introvert or an extrovert? Do you ever find yourself in situations where you're more intro or extroverted than you would normally be?

Yes, both.

I'm a very extroverted introvert. I do ok at things like Reapercon where everyone is all more or less there for the same general thing. Other large gatherings of people are very situational.  I can get on a stage to make an announcement, but when it comes time to talk to people one on one, especially if I'm initiating the conversation, it's a lot harder.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Definitely an introvert, but there are groups that I am more comfortable with where I can do a passing resemblance to an extrovert, for a time. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

It really does depend on the situation, but I would argue I lean heavily towards introvert, although interestingly with work it seems to flip.  In the end, I've no real idea where to put myself on said scale, but since 90% of the time I'm much happier with the idea of just sitting in my chair and painting (or going out to take photos of the sky, nature, whatever) my habits definitely lean towards introvert, doubly so since my social batteries can drain rather quickly. 

It really does depend on the time commitment, what's involved, and what other things I really want to be doing at the time. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

So very introverted.

I can tolerate social gatherings for a little bit, but nothing really brings me out of my shell as it were. 

• Like 9

It’s definitely situationally dependent for me.  My inclination is to hang back and observe, but I’m strangely comfortable with large groups.  Give me a microphone and I’ll entertain or at least engage the crowd.  Talking to a group of four?  Finding a seat in a half full cafeteria? Long elevator ride?  Uh oh - I can’t think of anything to say.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I started out as very introverted,  but I have gradually moved closer to the line.  the COVID lock down really just increased my appetite for social interaction.
I am more talkative in small groups of friends or Reapercon 
(which I still think of as a gathering of 1000+ mostly socially awkward introverts.)  and I enjoy it thoroughly.
Even at ReaperCon, I would withdraw for some time and quiet in my room before diving back in.  

When traveling --  I really like just striking up conversations,  short glimpses of people lives, who I will never see again, but I will hold onto their stories. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 9

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Very introverted and a bit of a loner.  Unlike most people, my lifestyle didn't change at all during COVID.  My primary socialization is with my wife, if I get out to see other people once or twice a year, I'm fine with that.

The Egg

• Like 9

6 hours ago, Thoramel said:

I am a fairly extreme introvert, as I find most social interactions draining.  Most people are surprised when I tell them that, especially since I have a job that requires getting up and talking in front of groups on a regular basis, and a lot of social interaction in general.  I am good at public speaking and effective in social situations, but I suspect I will always find them exhausting, and I will always prefer time alone.

• Like 9