Getting to Know You - September Edition

Thoramel

9 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 29: Do you have a fixed hobbying budget? Or do you just buy stuff as the mood strikes you?

No to both questions. I used to do the second one a lot, but now I'm trying to keep purchases related to projects that I'm working on.

• Like 8

• Replies 513
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

59 minutes ago, Thoramel said:

Question September 29: Do you have a fixed hobbying budget? Or do you just buy stuff as the mood strikes you?

Yes, when LadyC and I married we set up a budget for fun stuff. Sticking to it has kept a lot of stress from our marriage for 39+ years. If I want to make a big purchase, I worked some overtime.

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

No, I do not have a budget.  Fortunately, my wife and I have plenty of income to support my habit.  It helps that I usually don't spend that much; the full cost of ReaperCon, including travel, is probably a majority of my annual miniature-painting-related spending.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Thoramel said:

yes and no.  My wife and I have a joint account where a predetermined amount of money goes in from each of our paycheques to cover the household costs.  We have sat down and reviewed this each time our income has changed or if the joint account was looking a little rough.  Whatever we have left in our own accounts covers other savings/retirement contribution, gym memberships and any fun money.  If she buys more shoes or I save up for another 3d printer, it doesn't impact household budget.  

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Sort of.  We have plenty to spend on hobbies but large purchases are supposed to have joint approval.  These days it's more a matter of having a fixed amount of hobby storage space than cash.  I do sometimes buy stuff when the mood strikes, but more than likely I've got 3 just like it at home already. 

• Like 10

No budget limit per se, but I do try to get the best deal out of anything I want. And I'm normally not an impulse buyer.

That being said, I have a Michael's opening next week, so I may completely disregard my previous answers.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Yes, I do have a hobbying budget.  I even occasionally not only stay within it, but also occasionally have some money left over!  This new shift making it almost impossible to make it to the game store after my shift is working wonders!  (actually it's the fact I'm just not buying all that much right now, but the previous sentence sounds funnier, doubly so since I tend to do online ordering most of the time). 

End goal is to basically have a reserve sitting there, allowing me to do things like "oh, this new thing came out" and whatnot and be able to order here and there, instead of waiting and whinging.  I'm getting there, just takes a bit, but it also makes it a lot easier to sift out which things I want the most, as well as help avoid the whole "you'd think I run a hobby store out of the living room" stockpile.  I've found I don't really touch some things after getting ones more to my style (this includes my collection of Reaper Bones paint), and it has definitely helped with the "I only have souch room in the place" stuff too. 

I also have a dedicated budget for filament purchasing, since I can chew through a kg of filament in as little as two and a half days...  Or even less if it's the right model. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Sort of the second one.

Since quite a lot of the stuff I get is limited availability I can't really budget for it, but I do try and balance out the expensive months with ones where I buy very little, if anything.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

No, and yes, although I'm trying to be good and pay down some debt right now, so minimizing hobby expenses for a bit.  Luckily I have "one or two" things lying around to keep me busy.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Thoramel said:

Kind of, but not really.  If it is miniature or jewelry related (except for mini or jewelry acquisitions), it is a business expense.  As such, I only spend money from profits I have made sculpting minis or making jewelry.  Most of the profits I have made over the last 10+ years have been reinvested in the business in the form of tools and equipment to help me expand the business, make my products, and serve my customers and to travel to ReaperCon every year.  

Mini acquisitions on the other hand come out of the main family budget, but those are rare these days as I only paint a couple minis a years and already have pretty much all the Bones minis ever made.

• Like 10