why oh why do ebay bidders do this

haldir

Actually, do you think people really pay that much attention to the rating on cmon?

My highest selling miniature was actually my lowest rated on cmon...

I suppose you are refering to the practice on CMON of giving low score votes to miniatures that are Featured Auctions, supposedly to bring down the price that item will fetch on eBay.

I've noticed that stuff I posted and put on sale immediately ends up with lower scores than pieces I've just posted but is not for sale. I'd say the exception to this is a Fairy that is one of my best-scoring pieces. Makes me wonder what kind of score she'd have if I hadn't posted her as an auction piece.

I've been tempted to post a piece and then wait a week or two to set it up as an auction item, just to see how it would do.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm... I might try that one day. At the moment I kinda need the money though so yeah.

All my stuff tends to stick around 7-7.5 except for one guy that is staying on 8.1

The one that fetched the most at auction was rated 6.8 though. Pretty horrid rating imho, but what can you do :)

Actually, do you think people really pay that much attention to the rating on cmon?

Obviously I can only speak for myself, but when it comes to auction items, the CMoN rating means quite a bit to me. I only click into items rated less than 8.7

Then again, my collection is to the point where I only have room for the really good stuff, and money isn't really a factor.

I could have won more auctions had I played the sniping game

:devil:

Sniping game? :huh:

Tommy.

I hate sniping. <_<

Sniping is when someone wants until the last 30 seconds or minute of the auction. Then, places his maximum bid, but it normally turns out to be below it due to eBay's autobidding system. (I bid $15, but the current price is $10.50 so eBay turns my bid into $11.50.)

Even if the previous bidder wants to bid higher, there is simply not enough time left for him to bid more. The auction is over.

This is truly anti-auction like and very inefficient. When I sell an item, I hate it when I see it turning out like this. Bidders waiting til the very end, trying to save a few bucks by chiming in at the end. I truly do appreciate people that place their maximum bid early. ::):

I wished eBay changed their system to the one at www.bidz.com . Another site created by the folks at eBay. That system is like a true auction because when someone places a bid, the time remaining increases by 30 seconds. Thus, eliminating the possibility of sniping.

The problem is a potential buyer would have have the time to post a higher bid over the "sniper". By the time he's entered his information and confirmed his new bid, the auction would be over and closed. Winner: Sniper.

A higher starting price is one method of reducing this, but you'd have to start basically around the price you're aiming for. The only problem with that is you'll get less watchers to your item. A lower item will have more watchers simply because they feel they can get a deal out of it. But, that's my opinion on it. Others have valid points to start higher.

It's not necessarily a bug. If this was a video game it'd be an exploit. But, Fuzzy has the main and only response. You just deal with it. eBay won't be changing it and you can't specify "no sniping" in your auction. On the basic level, they're placing a bid on your item. Can't tell them not to do that. ^_^

Hmm... I might try that one day. At the moment I kinda need the money though so yeah.

All my stuff tends to stick around 7-7.5 except for one guy that is staying on 8.1

The one that fetched the most at auction was rated 6.8 though. Pretty horrid rating imho, but what can you do :)

When it comes right down to it, the ending price on a mini is determined by the demand for it. While a score on CMON might influence demand, that isn't necessarily the case. I'm sure there are thousands of people buying minis who don't know what CMON is and don't really care, as long as they get a mini they like.

And yes, there are some aweful minis going for prices that seem exhorbitant. But you can bet the seller has an extensive and impecable reputation, and likely has a lot of followers looking to buy his or her items.

When it comes right down to it, the ending price on a mini is determined by the demand for it. 

So very true. I needed one last blister pack to complete my Ral Partha Ravenloft collection; one that hadn't shown up on ebay for over two years. When one showed up recently, the high bider paid over $50 US for a pack that cost $7 when it was released. I just wouldn't pay that high. Turned out, the very next week, the same seller put another one up. That one went for $45, and again I was not high bidder. The next week, the seller put up another, and I did get it for $25. Finally, he had one more the week after that went for $12.

Must have just been the three of us that were actively looking for it and when the insane collector demand was met, the price went way down. :rolleyes:

When it comes right down to it, the ending price on a mini is determined by the demand for it. 

So very true. I needed one last blister pack to complete my Ral Partha Ravenloft collection; one that hadn't shown up on ebay for over two years. When one showed up recently, the high bider paid over $50 US for a pack that cost $7 when it was released. I just wouldn't pay that high. Turned out, the very next week, the same seller put another one up. That one went for $45, and again I was not high bidder. The next week, the seller put up another, and I did get it for $25. Finally, he had one more the week after that went for $12.

Must have just been the three of us that were actively looking for it and when the insane collector demand was met, the price went way down. :rolleyes:

If that were me with four blisters to unload, I'd have done Second Chance Offers to the highest three loosing bidders on the first offering. Why pay three more listing fees?

Probably got greedy and thought he'd (or she'd) get another $45.00 sale. Probably lost money by not making the offer to people on that first auction.

The people who bid high on the first auction may have either missed subsequent listings or been ticked-off enough by the "hold and sell" tactics that they decided they didn't need that package that badly after all.