Reapercon 2024 Excitement thread!

Corsair

On 12/29/2023 at 7:57 PM, chaosscorpion said:

Any word yet on ReaperCon 24's facilities?  Has an agreement been negotiated with the Denton Embassy Suites or is a new location being sought out?

This is precisely what I came to the thread to find out! 

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, WKNolen said:

This is precisely what I came to the thread to find out! 

They are currently in talks with whoever (I'm assuming the previous hotel) for the dates. As this year (2023) was the final year of the contract. What I heard at the Con was there may be some major changes to the Con, so it's taking a bit longer then usual this time around.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colonel Kane said:

Any words on this yet????? I sometimes miss stuff and my internet connectivity it below average. 

Hinted it's labor day weekend but nothing confirmed where & actual dates.

• Thanks 1

On the last ReaperLive Ron said that they couldn’t quite make an announcement yet, but they were very excited.  Reading between the lines, it sounds like everything is looking good for the same time, same place… they just haven’t finalized and signed contracts.  

I expect they’ll probably be able to make the announcement on the Jan 25 ReaperLive, but that’s just me guessing.

• Like 5

Yah, I have 2 trips on agenda this year. 1 is a definite trip, that being a trip to the OR coast for 5 days & then finish off the trip a couple nights in Portland to see the Winterhawks hockey game. It'll be funny, listening to the game the Friday we get into Portland, then Saturday night is the actual game.

ReaperCon is a 80% sure trip. I'm just waiting on dates to really get things going for that. I did do my usual pre-plan of a overnight hotel in Boise the Tuesday before Labor Day Weekend, as the rates were more then last year's except for a couple. I've stayed at one of the places before & the other, yah I'm "forbidden" to book with them due to the "no locals" policy :rolleyes:

Oddly, I see the "things that fly" are already up to August/Sept for booking, that's allot different then last year as it wasn't until March or April before I could do that.

• Like 5

On 1/20/2024 at 10:04 AM, haldir said:

Yah, I have 2 trips on agenda this year. 1 is a definite trip, that being a trip to the OR coast for 5 days & then finish off the trip a couple nights in Portland to see the Winterhawks hockey game. It'll be funny, listening to the game the Friday we get into Portland, then Saturday night is the actual game.

ReaperCon is a 80% sure trip. I'm just waiting on dates to really get things going for that. I did do my usual pre-plan of a overnight hotel in Boise the Tuesday before Labor Day Weekend, as the rates were more then last year's except for a couple. I've stayed at one of the places before & the other, yah I'm "forbidden" to book with them due to the "no locals" policy :rolleyes:

Oddly, I see the "things that fly" are already up to August/Sept for booking, that's allot different then last year as it wasn't until March or April before I could do that.

ReaperCon Rule #1

Every ReaperCon is always Randy’s last ReaperCon.

• Haha 8

22 minutes ago, Adrift said:

ReaperCon Rule #1

Every ReaperCon is always Randy’s last ReaperCon.

Well the way the last couple months of 2023 went & this month, there a good reason why I'm stopping. $300+ kitchen faucet/pipes repair & then this month, news about the furnace. Furnace is old like 30+ years old, so we are gonna have to get that replaced soon. I can go to RCon multiple times for the cost of one of those....jeesh.

I did say '23 was my last consecutive RCon, which means I'm not gonna make it down each year. I'll just pick & choose which ones I want to try & go down to. This being the anv year for Reaper + having 2 KS fulfill before RCon, makes that a good choice to come back again.

Also, some things are still in place when it comes to the overall feel of the Con for me. I figured keep that going one more time, for now.

Also, the feel that comes out running for people at the Con vs say here at home is different, I don't know if it's cause it's 4 to 6 strangers (overall) that come together cause of their shared love of a hobby. I don't know. I just don't get that here. Hell, my Weds night players are mercs when it comes to rpgs. "Job? How much does it pay?" is pretty much their #1 driving goal. Who cares if the children have been snatched by a evil beyond, or the fate of the world rests in your hands - "How much?"

I did say I was running 3 games, but I've added a 4th cause I was looking through game files & came across an adventure I bought/downloaded a few years ago that I really liked. I also know RCon gamers can get through it in the amount of time vs my home group (which btw they take forever to go through a short adventure!!). I really like my home group guys, just they aren't what I consider a ideal gaming group (not to mention none of the politics at RCon vs here).

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, haldir said:

Well the way the last couple months of 2023 went & this month, there a good reason why I'm stopping. $300+ kitchen faucet/pipes repair & then this month, news about the furnace. Furnace is old like 30+ years old, so we are gonna have to get that replaced soon. I can go to RCon multiple times for the cost of one of those....jeesh.

I did say '23 was my last consecutive RCon, which means I'm not gonna make it down each year. I'll just pick & choose which ones I want to try & go down to. This being the anv year for Reaper + having 2 KS fulfill before RCon, makes that a good choice to come back again.

Also, some things are still in place when it comes to the overall feel of the Con for me. I figured keep that going one more time, for now.

Also, the feel that comes out running for people at the Con vs say here at home is different, I don't know if it's cause it's 4 to 6 strangers (overall) that come together cause of their shared love of a hobby. I don't know. I just don't get that here. Hell, my Weds night players are mercs when it comes to rpgs. "Job? How much does it pay?" is pretty much their #1 driving goal. Who cares if the children have been snatched by a evil beyond, or the fate of the world rests in your hands - "How much?"

I did say I was running 3 games, but I've added a 4th cause I was looking through game files & came across an adventure I bought/downloaded a few years ago that I really liked. I also know RCon gamers can get through it in the amount of time vs my home group (which btw they take forever to go through a short adventure!!). I really like my home group guys, just they aren't what I consider an ideal gaming group (not to mention none of the politics at RCon vs here).

That’s an awful lot of justifying for a one sentence joke.

It’s ok—you’re among friends. We’re here to enable you all day, no mental gymnastics required 😂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Adrift said:

That’s an awful lot of justifying for a one sentence joke.

It’s ok—you’re among friends. We’re here to enable you all day, no mental gymnastics required 😂

That's what's great about this community, we are just a bunch of enablers.

That is a good thing, right?

• Like 7

For those that don't click the banners:

ReaperCon 2024

As you all know, our contract with the Denton Convention Center ended last year at ReaperCon2023. We have approved the initial new contract and are currently waiting for the final draft to be signed, sealed, and delivered! So please wait for announcements coming very soon! Hotels, Class/event submission, Volunteers, and much more very soon! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

I am hoping to come to ReaperCon this year with my husband.  I have almost no idea what to expect, but I know I'd like to enter some minis on the competition, and it sounds like some table top games and painting classes are available, as well as painting rooms with people I can talk to informally about whatever I'm painting.  Do I need to have a mini painted for my character at the games tables? 

If I want to find someone to trade my December Reaper freebie tiefling wizard mini for a November dragonborn paladin mini, would that be a good place to do it?  Are reaper and other cooperative mini companies likely to have minis for sale?  If I'm considering replacing my paint selection (it's petty small and getting smaller), would that be a good place/ time to buy a full set of reaper paints?  I'm debating between them and Vallejo (or the kromatic kolors that someone mentioned in a post in her earlier).  

• Like 4