Questions about airbrushing bones

PainterFaolin

I am about to try airbrushing some bones minis for the first time and had some questions. Should I prie the bones before airbrushing? Will the paint bead up on the bones after thinning? Is there a recommended airbrush medium for painting on bones?

I did a test with a bones skeleton by diluting some paint with liquitex airbrush medium and found that it would bead up when brushed on, is that because I brushed it on?

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PainterFaolin said:

I am about to try airbrushing some bones minis for the first time and had some questions. Should I prie the bones before airbrushing? Will the paint bead up on the bones after thinning? Is there a recommended airbrush medium for painting on bones?

I did a test with a bones skeleton by diluting some paint with liquitex airbrush medium and found that it would bead up when brushed on, is that because I brushed it on?

I prime (washed) bones figures by airbrushing with un thinned Stynylrez, let it dry for 24h, then paint any which way.  The white pvc bones came be a huge PITA, especially if you thin the paints, regardless of the application method.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wash the models and let dry.  airbrush some primer or some reaper liner on them if they're bones classic.  later formulations i'd recommend just some airbrushed primer.  stynylrez is a good choice.  i've had success with other brands as well.

• Like 3

Hey all - I came here to post the same thing.

I have old Bones (literally and figuratively) and was thinking it would be fun to give my son and his friends a few to paint.  They're the white bones, from the first and second kickstarters.  I don't want to give them to the boys unprimed, as those really don't take paint well and would likely lead to frustration.  I was thinking of airbrushing them (since I've had such rotten luck with rattlecan primers and Bones) and I have vallejo (multiple colors), army painter (black and grey), a brand called "Wicked Colors", and Stynylrez white.  I love the Stynylrez, but it's very thin which I'm thinking won't work well for bones, plus it'll be a little hard to see it go on over the white Bones material. I am planning to wash all the figures with warm soapy water, as they've been sitting around for a while - just getting the dust off will likely be important!

Before I dive in and experiment, I'm wondering if others have tried a few of these airbrush paints.  PainterFaolin, any attempts that were successful?

Maybe I should just stick with rattlecan?  https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/48669-bones-the-first-coat-is-the-difference/ 

1 hour ago, Pancakeonions said:

I love the Stynylrez, but it's very thin which I'm thinking won't work well for bones, plus it'll be a little hard to see it go on over the white Bones material. I am planning to wash all the figures with warm soapy water, as they've been sitting around for a while - just getting the dust off will likely be important!

Washing is key for paint adhesion.  You can add a little colored paint to the white primer so you can see it, it should be fine.   You don't need a thick coat of primer, you just need enough for the paint to hold on to. 

• Thanks 1

The point about thoroughly washing and degreasing is important.

I prime with Vallejo Surface Primer, and I first do a fine mist coat and let that dry thoroughly before going on to the primer coat proper. The mist coat doesn't bead, as it's basically just laying down individual microdrops of paint, and when it dries it provides a tooth to keep the successive coat from beading.

An alternative is to use Rustoleum primer for plastics from a rattle-can. It's an acrylic primer, but it's carried in some kind of spirit medium that doesn't bead on plastic, and it seems to cling better to plastic than a lot of others I've tried.

• Thanks 1

To close the (mine, anyway) loop here - I successfully airbrushed a bunch of Bones I (the softer white stuff) with AP Warpaints Matt Grey this weekend.  They had all been washed in warm water with a little bit of dish soap and air dried for more than a day.  I have an Iwata Revolution, which can put down a lot of paint, and once I was able to carefully control the application (i.e., not glop it on, full blast), it went on quite nicely and did not bead up at all.  The grey Warpaint did not require thinning at all, and went on great. The minis, 24 hours later, are not even slightly tacky to the touch.  This is how I'm going to proceed with Bones (early Bones, anyway) from now on!

/chefs kiss!

Edited by Pancakeonions

On 10/31/2023 at 1:50 AM, Pancakeonions said:

To close the (mine, anyway) loop here - I successfully airbrushed a bunch of Bones I (the softer white stuff) with AP Warpaints Matt Grey this weekend.  They had all been washed in warm water with a little bit of dish soap and air dried for more than a day.  I have an Iwata Revolution, which can put down a lot of paint, and once I was able to carefully control the application (i.e., not glop it on, full blast), it went on quite nicely and did not bead up at all.  The grey Warpaint did not require thinning at all, and went on great. The minis, 24 hours later, are not even slightly tacky to the touch.  This is how I'm going to proceed with Bones (early Bones, anyway) from now on!

Friday Night Funkin

/chefs kiss!

huh?

Edited by dryfirewood