Fun ideas: What to do with old resin?

Zloyduh

Hey!

And another thought I just had.  I got two 500ml bottles or resin sitting here.  Each one is about a quarter to a third still full.  But they have been sitting here for a good...  3-2 years or so...

I kind of want to get rid of this resin and start fresh with a new printer.

Any fun ideas on what to do with the old resin?

So, for example, I remember reading a while ago how someone bought some potion bottle looking vials on Amazon, mixed in some color into the resin and poured it into the vials.  Then gave them out to his players as like Christmas gifts or something like that.

Anyways, just looking for some cool, creative ideas on what to do with an old resin!

Thanks! 🙂

~Z

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be hesitant about giving a toxic chemical away as a gift. 

Personally I would shake it up and try to use it. If you don't want to go that route I would suggest you contact your local waste management company and find out the safe way to dispose of it.

I'm sure I sound like a stick in the mud but please be respectful of the substance. Experimenting and/or playing with toxic materials often leads to cancer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ok, sorry!

I thought it was kind of obvious that a resin has to be handled safely with absolutely no harm intended to friends, kids, animals or the environment.  And no matter what the use is, it always has to be cured in the end - whether you're keeping it or throwing it out.

I was just asking for a craft kind of ideas.  Something like, maybe I can make a transparent mold, pour the resin into it, and have it exposed to the sun.  Just like making something fun with it without the use of a printer.  That's all.

Thanks.

• Like 1

Not sure if it is the same kind of resin, but you can buy molds at craft stores and make things like coasters, jewelry, keychains, etc.  If you have clear resin you can embed small items, like  glitter, confetti, sea shells, etc to make them more decorative.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Be careful casting items with a thickness to them.  UV light doesn't penetrate very far.  If you just poured resin into a potion bottle and put that in the sun, I'd be concerned that you'd end up with a shell encasing uncured resin.  Said uncured resin has a habit of causing models to fracture and release uncured resin.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

yeah, I experimented one time with trying to use some clear printer resin to do a water effect on a small base, I had an area that ended up I think about 3/8 thick.  Because of an air bubble that had formed I could tell that the core of it was still not cured, and that was after putting it back in the cure chamber multiple times, it was in there over an hour and still hadn't cured.  Ended up having to break it open so it could cure completely, so I had to redo it again with normal pouring resin.

Edited by Cygnwulf
  • Thanks 2