Mini Holder

Marc

Just curious … what do folks use / prefer to use for a mini holder when painting?

I’ve seen people using mini holders from Citadel, Blu Tack on a cork, wood dowel, pill bottle etc.  I’ve seen the mini holders from Game Envy and others as well.

What do folks here use? What have you had the most success with?

• Like 1

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I tend to use Citadel.  I've done blue tac on a pill bottle, that works, but I think Citadel works better.  I've got a game envy holder.  I like the idea of bottle caps for temporary basing, however, it never really clicked with me.

I'm not a fan of the new thinner citadel holders.  However, the base with the alligator clip ended tentacles is really quite useful for assembly.  It's citadel, so you know it's stupid expensive out of the gate though :(.

• Like 2

I have several mini holders.

The oldest I have is the Citadel one that uses springs to clamp on the base and is my least favorite.

The two others, I got at ReaperCon. Both are the handle kind that use bottle caps and blue-tak. One was from a seller that made 3D FDM holders, and the other Game Envy model was from an RCon swagbox. Of the two, the FDM one is my favorite, probably because of the fine line texture and size that fits my hand comfortably. Sometimes I use the finger rest/grip, but more often I don't.

• Like 2

KISS theory on paint holders.

I use either empty Tamiya paint cans for bigger minis & depending on the material of the mini either poster putty, double stick tape or masking tape - double-sided. For medium size minis I go with craft paint bottles or bottles like Ral Partha or Testor's Master Model bottles with the above adhesives. No need to go expensive on these.

• Like 2

I've got a couple of the Game Envy holders.

I drink enough soda (I'd quit if I could) that it's easy for me to keep a steady supply of caps on hand.  In my experience the caps from two liter bottles and 20+ oz. bottles are a little sturdier than the usual 17 oz. six-pack variety.  I also found that when I'm working I don't much like to switch between holders and often just hold the mini by the bottle cap.  I also found that I like to configure the holder with the "handle" pointing down into my hand which makes it tough to set it down anywhere.

But I also kind of wish I had just taken the less expensive route and started using some of my old pill bottles (potassium supplement) as they're pretty chunky and would easily hold small, medium, or large bases.

• Like 2

I have three I alternate between: Red Grass Games' v2 handle, the older GW painting handle, and Motrin bottles.  Each is used for different things, although I suspect the GW one will be used a lot less once I get more caps for the RGG v2 handle. 

I rather like the RGG caps - they're bigger than bottle caps, and the tack they provide doesn't seem to dry out, which is super handy, plus they're reasonably easy to swap out.  For larger models I'll use the Motrin bottles, because they have a nice wide base, and fit in my hand rather well. 

I've wanted to try the Game Envy ones for a while now, but haven't yet, and since I'm happy with the RGG one I honestly am not sure if I will or not. 

• Like 2

I have no fancy mini holders.  I use several options.  Mostly I use either a wooden candlestick holder or a pill bottle.  (I acquired a bunch of the latter all at once when my Mom passed away last year; she had many, many pills.)  Wooden spools will work too.  Sometimes I will use a wine cork; I like holding them, but it is difficult to get them to stand up straight when I'm not holding them.  If I am painting multiple similar minis, like a bunch of kobolds or something, I will attach them to a short scrap of wood; I use the wood scraps for larger minis and terrain too.  And sometimes I will just hold the mini by the base.  One day I aspire to try a fancy miniature holder, but so far the cost has held me back.

30 minutes ago, ManvsMini said:

2" diameter wood dowel cut to a length appropriate to fit my hand. Epoxied to a peanut butter jar lid. Mini base gets hot glued on for painting. I can hold it a variety of ways without cramping my hand, and then screw the empty jar on to keep dust out between paint sessions.

paintgrip8a.thumb.jpg.aae032de2c2a1afbce555e0a2dfadf03.jpg

upsidedown0a.jpg.78e58bec77619d8edff32afd26049324.jpg

I love this idea.  I think I will have to borrow it.

Edited by GoldenPiggy
  • Like 2

Ive got 3 holders.

1 Game Envy Hobby Holder

1 Grim Grip(I dont think these guys are in business anymore)

and 1 Painting hilt Pro(least favorite of the three)

I mainly use the Hobby Holder because i have a bunch of soda caps, and only 2 of the bases that attach to the Grim Grip.  I think ive got the pieces i need to creat some more, but i need the time to do so.

• Like 2