Jump to content

Wet Palette Mold


GoldenPiggy
 Share

Recommended Posts

I started using a makeshift wet palette a little over a year ago, and I never had a problem with mold.  I switched to a nice new wet palette a few weeks ago, complete with little copper things in the corner to prevent mold growth, using only distilled water, and now I have mold in my sponge.  Fun times.  (And no, I do NOT lick my brushes.  Ever.)  Honestly, I might just go back to the old plastic container.

 

I probably should have posted this somewhere else, though, since I am just venting and not really looking for advice; there is plenty on information so I know what to do.  It's just frustrating.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Judging from everyone's experience, I'm still amazed that I never got mould on mine, even when months would go by. I've had paint stains that looked like mould, but it was my original paper that let paint bleed through.

 

To this day I wonder if it's because I occasionally let my sponge (though it's really a synthetic shammy) dry out then re-hydrate it with boiling water.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Cranky Dog said:

Judging from everyone's experience, I'm still amazed that I never got mould on mine, even when months would go by. I've had paint stains that looked like mould, but it was my original paper that let paint bleed through.

 

To this day I wonder if it's because I occasionally let my sponge (though it's really a synthetic shammy) dry out then re-hydrate it with boiling water.

 

 

Um, yeah cleaning your sponge on occasion with boiling water would be a pretty straight forward way to avoid mold. Just putting it through the laundry every once in a while is another good option. 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/26/2023 at 9:56 PM, GoldenPiggy said:

I started using a makeshift wet palette a little over a year ago, and I never had a problem with mold.  I switched to a nice new wet palette a few weeks ago, complete with little copper things in the corner to prevent mold growth, using only distilled water, and now I have mold in my sponge.  Fun times.  (And no, I do NOT lick my brushes.  Ever.)  Honestly, I might just go back to the old plastic container.

 

I probably should have posted this somewhere else, though, since I am just venting and not really looking for advice; there is plenty on information so I know what to do.  It's just frustrating.

scratch games

Well, you might keep your sponge mold-free by giving it the occasional boil-over. Another alternative is to just wash it in the washing machine every so often. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...