Green Stuff World UV Resin Water Bases

Marc

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I found it very easy to work with, you just need a container for the pour (GSW has some silicone molds in standard base sizes). Basically it's just pouring, hardening with an uv-torch and then using gloss varnish for the sides (because they come out matte from the mold).

It's a bit on the expensive side, though...

Used it here in combination with water gel by vallejo (for the waves, UV-resin is self-levelling):

IMG_5786.jpg.bad65b59189a9611eac18e752c53f3d6.jpg

• Like 5

Yep, Green Stuff World does make a set of silicone molds (I actually have the set on order) but I play RPGs like D&D, Pathfinder, Tales of the Valiant, etc. which use a 1” grid, so only 2 of the 6 molds are of any use to me (not sure what the other 4 sizes are for … Warhammer maybe?)

For folks that have made bases like this, what have you used as molds for sizes other than the 1” (25 mm) and 2” (50 mm) molds that come in the set? I need to find something to make bases of 3”, 4” etc.

Edited by Marc
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Marc said:

Yep, Green Stuff World does make a set of silicone molds (I actually have the set on order) but I play RPGs like D&D, Pathfinder, Tales of the Valiant, etc. which use a 1” grid, so only 2 of the 6 molds are of any use to me (not sure what the other 4 sizes are for … Warhammer maybe?)

For folks that have made bases like this, what have you used as molds for sizes other than the 1” (25 mm) and 2” (50 mm) molds that come in the set? I need to find something to make bases of 3”, 4” etc.

Are you talking about just round silicone molds? Take a look at baking supplies on Amazon.

I own several sets of Greenstuff Worlds silicone moulds for creating water bases and they have been incredibly useful.  Here is a water base I did for one of my Reaper Lizardmen using the moulds as an example.  You can buy silicone cake moulds for baking (as the above poster mentioned), but I have found it hard to source anything small enough for miniature bases, whereas the green stuff sets pretty much cover all of the common shapes and sizes for typical wargaming bases, which is very convenient.

Base.thumb.JPG.a3d5e3cc1522805139767ae949d043ba.JPG

As I am a frugal crafter, I am just going to throw this out there, and if you still want to buy their resin then go ahead.  But I personally feel their resin is a tad over-priced for what it is .  The company have a reputation for sourcing generic items, tools and resources (that are not necessarily of better or good quality), slapping their branding on the packaging and then charging a premium.

This is the cheap brand I use, and I couldn't be happier with it:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FF5BVDK/ref=twister_B09FR13WT6?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

You get x10 30ml bottles for under £20 (£23 if you want the UV lamp included). 

Greenstuff World charge £4.10 for a single 17ml bottle (and a further £10 for the UV lamp).  

That's approximately a £0.06 per ml vs £0.24 per ml difference in price, and honestly the cheaper brand is just as good in my opinion.

It looks good, it is easy to use, sets quickly and I have had no issues with it.  I use it quite a lot to add puddles and other water features to my builds and projects, here are a few examples.

1290195061_FrontSunlight2.thumb.jpg.52b94393feb8ad9f40712d02e98cb4e4.jpg

861686910_Boggy3.thumb.jpg.38a1784fddfd4fa870927f939f7e2583.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.4de7bc76fdc02950ded36b075fb457fc.jpg

Edited by Dan S
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, cmorse said:

3 and 4 inch round silicone baking and candy molds are pretty easy to find.

Ah! I never thought of that!!

4 hours ago, Dan S said:

I own several sets of Greenstuff Worlds silicone moulds for creating water bases and they have been incredibly useful.  Here is a water base I did for one of my Reaper Lizardmen using the moulds as an example.  You can buy silicone cake moulds for baking (as the above poster mentioned), but I have found it hard to source anything small enough for miniature bases, whereas the green stuff sets pretty much cover all of the common shapes and sizes for typical wargaming bases, which is very convenient.

Base.thumb.JPG.a3d5e3cc1522805139767ae949d043ba.JPG

As I am a frugal crafter, I am just going to throw this out there, and if you still want to buy their resin then go ahead.  But I personally feel their resin is a tad over-priced for what it is .  The company have a reputation for sourcing generic items, tools and resources (that are not necessarily of better or good quality), slapping their branding on the packaging and then charging a premium.

This is the cheap brand I use, and I couldn't be happier with it:  https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09FF5BVDK/ref=twister_B09FR13WT6?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

You get x10 30ml bottles for under £20 (£23 if you want the UV lamp included). 

Greenstuff World charge £4.10 for a single 17ml bottle (and a further £10 for the UV lamp).  

That's approximately a £0.06 per ml vs £0.24 per ml difference in price, and honestly the cheaper brand is just as good in my opinion.

It looks good, it is easy to use, sets quickly and I have had no issues with it.  I use it quite a lot to add puddles and other water features to my builds and projects, here are a few examples.

1290195061_FrontSunlight2.thumb.jpg.52b94393feb8ad9f40712d02e98cb4e4.jpg

861686910_Boggy3.thumb.jpg.38a1784fddfd4fa870927f939f7e2583.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.4de7bc76fdc02950ded36b075fb457fc.jpg

Thanks for the info!

I ordered the molds and resin from Green Stuff World and I’m anxious to try it out when it arrives.

As I mentioned, my big complaint about that set of molds Green Stuff Worlds offers is that only 2 of the 6 molds are of value to anyone that is making the bases for RPG games like D&D which use a 1 inch grid.

I’ll probably throw out the other 4 molds, or maybe toss them in the next BoGW and then I’ll do as suggested and try out some 3 inch and 4 inch round silicone candy or backing molds

Edited by Marc
  • Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 10:47 AM, Marc said:

not sure what the other 4 sizes are for … Warhammer maybe?

32mm and 60mm are fairly common for Warhammer 40k, while 40mm and 55mm are standard sizes for Infinity (heavy armour units and short utility robots being 40mm, and almost all mecha are 55mm)