Getting To Know You October 2023.

Glitterwolf

On 10/1/2023 at 3:59 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION OCTOBER 1st.

Do you have a tangible memory of a special person/pet?

What is it?

Is there a story behind it?

Share pics if you like.

Plenty of them, but nothing in particular to post here.  I've been thinking in particular of my mother, who passed away last October, as we approach the one-year anniversary of her rather sudden and unexpected death.  I still have some of her stuff to go through, and there are more than a few things that I don't want to keep, but I really don't want to throw away either.

13 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

When on vacation/citytrip etc, do you tend to buy a souvenir?

If so, what kind?

It really depends on the trip.  I like buying a souvenir, but I do not have a particular tradition on this.  However...

4 hours ago, Thoramel said:

If I'm actually on vacation and not just there on business then I'll usually buy a little something small. Typically that takes the form a of a shot glass. No idea why as I'm not much of doing shots kind of person. But at this point I've got a couple of large shoe boxes full of shot glasses from around the world, so I guess it's a tradition now.

...for years I tried to always buy a shot glass from places I visited.  I stopped doing this because my in-laws started buying me a bunch of random shot glasses; they failed to see the distinction between souvenirs and a collection, or that the whole point was that these were hand-selected memories of travel.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

It really varies for me, although RC was a little out of hand.  

When we were in Vietnam this August, however, we did a home stay trek.  A group of Hmong women led us down steep, muddy trails across the rice fields.  At any sign of a hazardous stretch, they’d anchor themselves in, then grab a wrist and help someone over a stream, or across rocks, etc….

Eventually, we’d get to some sort of fork in the trail, and a few of the women would take off their backpack/bags.  “Now is the time where I will depart for my home, which is up this road.  Since I helped you in getting this far, maybe you can help me?”  

The bags, of course, were filled with locally made purses, pillowcases, bracelets, etc.. we were in no real position to say no, so then the near mandatory haggling would begin!  This happened about 5 times on a 6 hour trek, so we have a lot of souvenirs from this particular trip!

Edited by Count Urlik
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

Yes!

Depending on where I'm going. If I can bring back food I will. Otherwise it's usually a shot glass or some jewelry of some sort.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

...for years I tried to always buy a shot glass from places I visited.  I stopped doing this because my in-laws started buying me a bunch of random shot glasses; they failed to see the distinction between souvenirs and a collection, or that the whole point was that these were hand-selected memories of travel.

Haha, classic!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

It depends.

When I was in the Navy, I used to try to buy some kind of tourist guidebook about the place I was visiting. I figured that I'd get decent pictures of a lot of the local scenery that I may not have gotten to in person. It would also help me to identify the pictures I did take. I'd also try to get a small patch to add to my cruise jacket. After that, it was whatever caught my eye; a lot of my family got all sorts of neat local handicrafts for Christmas.

Now, I might get a t-shirt if I see a design I like, but that's about it.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Since I won't be able to post a question tomorrow due to work related stuff, I'm posting it now in advance.

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

Which family member has had the most impact to you?

*narrows eyes* I see you sneaking in that Orctober.....

My mom and dad had a lot to do with the person I am today. Literally.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

If I've got the spare funds, I try to find something.

I did shot glasses for a time but they started losing their proverbial shine after a while.  Now it's mostly a sticker (this is a new thing for me), deck of cards, or smashed pennies if I can find a machine.  My paint kit currently has stickers on it from Homer, AK, a couple local places, the Netherlands (where I have not visited--I wonder how I got tha:poke:), and from Game Envy (the company, where I have also not visited).  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

Usually it's a coffee cup, however if we take a train ride, we will try to get an HO scale model railroad car of the train.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Since I won't be able to post a question tomorrow due to work related stuff, I'm posting it now in advance.

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

Mom.  She worked from home as a cake decorator until I hit high school, so she was always there.  Up until second or third grade she'd make time to read to me every night, first kiddie books like the bearenstein bears, then little house and green gables, then pern.  She stopped because I'd start to get impatient to get to the next bit of story and read ahead on her, we'd stop on chapter 5, then by the next night I would have moved us ahead to chapter 9.  

We started ttrpg-ing together.  We fell in love with Susan van Camp 's art so bought into her game Dragon Storm,  learned to play at a May convention, and mom picked it up enough to start running demos at the local game shop where we knew some people from playing Magic. By August we had twice weekly games if 10 people with only minor overlap. We went to game and sf&f conventions together, until she got too weak to go with me.  

And she tried to help with my mental health problems, be supportive, get me to appointments, talk when I couldn't, explain to dad what was wrong. She impacted me enough that the ssi judge ruled my disability claim started the day she died.  

She was a mentor, friend, co-conspirator, and bulwark of support.  We'd bounce gm and character ideas off each other, only stopping sometimes since the other one would be playing in the game (we had to do a lot of player vs character knowledge). We'd argue over who would get to read which new book from our favorite authors and who got to smell the books first after a trip to the bookstore. And we played board games together a lot.  The paint was rubbing off our copy of qwirkle well before she passed.  I gave it to a friend after, that and a few others I couldn't stand to play after she died.  

I'm crying now writing all this.  But it's worse when I forget she's dead then suddenly remember.  The first two years I'd keep having dreams where it was all a mistake, there was no decline or nursing home or death, she was home and active and healthy and boy would it be embarrassing when I explained the mistake to our more distant friends.  Then I'd wake up and reality would hit like a ton of bricks about 30 seconds later. That doesn't happen quite as often now, but I'll still forget and then be stung.  Just a day or three ago I thought I should show her what rcl had accomplished at end of quarter so she could put in emojis. (Probably because I had just run through everything, I try to give a more personalized reaction than a thumbs up to every entry, even if its just the bow and arrow for an archer.)  The I remembered she couldn't now, and that she'd never been on discord to begin with.

It's her birthday month.  I miss her.😭

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

My parents, my mom just a little more so than my dad.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 1:10 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Question October 2nd.

If so, what kind?

As I am now on said Vacation trip, my answer is yes.  Mostly it is T-Shirts and mini Christmas ornaments.

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

It would either be my mother or my brother.  Mom spanked harder than my Dad, but my brother hit me more than she did.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

My dad was probably the most influential person in making me who I am today. He's a really decent guy and a hard worker and I can't imagine ever being the kind of person that would disappoint him. And my sister may have had the most impact on my current hobbies (she introduced me to gaming when we were kids). My MiL is, unfortunately, currently having the most impact on us right now though. And it's mostly financial and emotional. She may be the most horrible, abusive person I've ever met and somehow we ended up responsible for her care. Life tip for everyone... don't spend your life being a hateful, bigoted jerk. Your entire family will avoid you and no one will want to care for you when you're old.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

Between my parents it is pretty much a toss up.  They both influenced me a lot.

Besides them it would be my dad's father.  Growing up watching him fix just about anything and everything really got me going on tinkering with stuff.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/2/2023 at 9:53 AM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

My grandmother and I were very similar in many ways, not just genetically.  Like most grandmothers she was full of wisdom and kindness and she taught me many things. I was too young to appreciate her and she passed unexpectedly.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

On 10/2/2023 at 5:53 PM, Glitterwolf said:

QUESTION ORCTOBER 3rd.

Both my patents had a big impact. But my dad the most.

I miss them both of course but somehow I still feel I need to show my dad that I'm doing fine. 

@ejala Thanks for sharing, your Mother will always be a part of who you are.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1