Ral Partha Legacy female elf mage and thief, sculpted by Tom Meier

72moonglum

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 10/17/2023 at 3:49 AM, Dr Boom said:

The improvement's definitely there but I agree with the old you in saying that the originals were pretty good. It looks like the detail on the thief might have been a bit rougher on the older one. 

I 100% agree with this.

Good stuff!

• Like 2

I think the new ones are vastly improved.  I  like the thief sculpt, but the mage doesn’t do much for me.

I think your choice of colors is just another aspect of your artistic growth.  I’m sure your improved skills with the brush would enliven those earlier color schemes, but the new ones are just so much nicer!  I love them!

• Like 1

On 10/17/2023 at 3:49 AM, Dr Boom said:

The improvement's definitely there but I agree with the old you in saying that the originals were pretty good. It looks like the detail on the thief might have been a bit rougher on the older one. Nice pink dress on the wizard.

It's always interesting to go back to one's older work to see how much it's stood the test of time.  In this case I see a marked improvement, but then that makes me wonder at what point would improvement end? If I paint these figures again in five years will they be better and then I'll look at even more improvement or does that hit a point where you kind of plateau?

On 10/17/2023 at 5:32 AM, Glitterwolf said:

Definitely improved!

Great job on both!

Thanks Glitterwolf, glad you liked them!

On 10/17/2023 at 10:41 AM, Rigel said:

Incredible face work, old and new! Love the attitude on that elf thief.

She's a shifty one to be sure, thanks!

5 hours ago, Chaoswolf said:

I 100% agree with this.

Good stuff!

Thank you kindly Chaoswolf!

2 hours ago, Count Urlik said:

I think the new ones are vastly improved.  I  like the thief sculpt, but the mage doesn’t do much for me.

I think your choice of colors is just another aspect of your artistic growth.  I’m sure your improved skills with the brush would enliven those earlier color schemes, but the new ones are just so much nicer!  I love them!

I think the thief is more dynamic and the mage is just kind of standing there holding an odd little wand.  Proportions are a bit unique on the mage as well, but I have to say I'm pretty fond of her.  These were female elves back in the eighties sculpted by Tom Meier, which at that point in time was considered really nice sculpting, but as you look at what he does now a world of difference.   Those two ladies are actually from a three-piece female elf set, which was some kind of Citadel crossover with Ral Partha's Personalities and Things that go Bump in the Night range.  I think they actually had a name, but I'd have to go look that up, where they are three aspects of the same character.  The one that is still missing and on my desk to be finished is a fighter, who has some scale male, helmet, spear and shield, who I'll hopefully finish in the near future.

2 hours ago, Count Urlik said:

and should probably mention, after painting them an alternative color scheme from the original ones years ago, I do think I want to try to paint them again with the colors I had originally painted them. It would be interesting to be able to compare "oranges to oranges".

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Iridil said:

I like both versions, but I can see how far you have come with the side by sides - not just in technique but in color choices! I love all this love of the old school minis, especially like the new mage's dress!

Thank you Iridil! Having said that I think I do still want to maybe paint them over again on their original colors, just ten years later.