BEASTS! Who doesn't love them? Isn't a shame we've only got the ones we have? 

Let's make some ALIEN SPACE BEASTS for planetary encounters and/or arena fights!

We'll need some cheap rubber toys from the getting store, a good craft knife, and some Green Stuff. Maybe some bits from the bits box.

DSCN6055.thumb.JPG.e38e888033ad53a95b72fa784b626837.JPG'

I only steal from the best! Let's make a Mugato!

DSCN6057.thumb.JPG.34a02f7eded07e331b69d227ecb47f19.JPG

Tail and horn on:

DSCN6058.thumb.JPG.98e23d1dd152b4f2e4747aec24db4384.JPG

I thought of putting the plates on in one step but that proved unwieldy. Instead I cut them off and affixed them individually.

DSCN6059.thumb.JPG.b11d123809698ae51d62fa742cd145c4.JPG

Good thing shaggy fur is easy to simulate with Green Stuff!

I finished it up with some additional spikes taken from a Nolzur's manticore. 

DSCN6060.thumb.JPG.cc7f4a771b75c6ea061eae9ee2ad1e94.JPG

Now THAT'S a Space Beast!

I also wanted to make something like that hammerhead/rhino thing from Avatar. By this point in the night I was in the crafting zone, so there are fewer pix of the progress.

DSCN6056.thumb.JPG.b703f641d008597ff39c5ead4ecc7844.JPG

I threw in the sail fin from a Dimetrodon for good measure. More razzamatazz. Had to dip it in boiling water and reshape it to get it to fit the creature's spine properly. 

DSCN6061.thumb.JPG.5685d627a089356f92c329d55d48961f.JPG

Forgot to take pix of putting some jowls and fins on and also the shark tail. This leaves me with a leftover rhino snout, some stegosaur legs, and most of a pre-therapsid reptile. I'll find a use for them someday.

I'll post more pix in the Show-Off forum, but here's a sneak preview of the Venerian Blunderbore: 

DSCN6070.thumb.JPG.4e2a727e21da93163e1553272a027c7c.JPG

And the Resplendent Mugato:

DSCN6077.thumb.JPG.2248ec60551cab6b2d024661ca95136f.JPG

Hope you enjoy! Drop your own FrankenBeasts in the comments!

• Like 10

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh god yes, this is the exact sort of thing I love, and I've done a fair bit of. While a lot of my efforts on this sorta thing have been designed for a more action-figure-y scale than as big monsters for a mini scale, and... well, should I make my own topic for my own for fear of overshadowing the OP, or would it be okay to post them here? Either way, I have done my own efforts at this, and it is always fun.

If I may offer additional tips, a great base for these sorts of things is Dollar Tree's Final Faction figures. They're super well-made for their price, but what's most useful for these sorts of purposes is the alien figures, including their vehicle the Crawler, which have a lot of gnarly organic/biomechanical parts for use in kitbashing monsters.

Also: Halloween decorations. While your local stores have probably been picked clean already, cheapo Halloween decorations provide a lot of great parts for creature kitbashes, and that's why I always try to stock up in the Halloween season and especially post-Halloween when all the sales are going!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, folks! 

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Great idea!

There are many toys out there that could be converted/painted to fit our hobby.

AND I LOVE SEEING IT

11 hours ago, Titleknown said:

Oh god yes, this is the exact sort of thing I love, and I've done a fair bit of. While a lot of my efforts on this sorta thing have been designed for a more action-figure-y scale than as big monsters for a mini scale, and... well, should I make my own topic for my own for fear of overshadowing the OP, or would it be okay to post them here? Either way, I have done my own efforts at this, and it is always fun.

If I may offer additional tips, a great base for these sorts of things is Dollar Tree's Final Faction figures. They're super well-made for their price, but what's most useful for these sorts of purposes is the alien figures, including their vehicle the Crawler, which have a lot of gnarly organic/biomechanical parts for use in kitbashing monsters.

Also: Halloween decorations. While your local stores have probably been picked clean already, cheapo Halloween decorations provide a lot of great parts for creature kitbashes, and that's why I always try to stock up in the Halloween season and especially post-Halloween when all the sales are going!

Good advice--I'll check the local dollar tree. And I do love a good Halloween sale! 

I posted the finished Beasts in Show Off: Sculpts, Conversion, Terrain https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103903-spacefuture-space-beasts-made-from-cheap-toys/ and would love to see your conversions, either there or in a separate thread! More inspiration is better! POST BEASTS!

• Like 1