Reaper Dungeon Dwellers Roleplaying Game: Enthusiasm and Commentary!

Guindyloo

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m so excited for Andy’s new beholder! 

On the swallowy frog front, maybe have the victims legs twisted and contorted. Or, have one leg and one arm hanging out, maybe the hand is grasping the lip of the frog as though trying to fight free!

• Like 3

As much as I want to back, I feel like every time I read something about the game, I feel like it's putting down other systems. I'm more of a play what you want, how you want kinda player. If 4e D&D is your thing go for it. Just reading comments on Discord & I feel this way.

Probably me & the D&D fanboy in me (game I grew up with some 41 years ago) showing, but it's not just D&D, it's all the D&D-like systems.

I did mention this one to my Saturday players & they liked some of things I told them about it so at least there is interest within my group. They thought the no death saves, aka old school gaming was pretty cool + some of the higher spells like wish & stuff were not in player's hands. So at least there is interest. They didn't like the limited racial & class options thou, they felt it was too simple. This is coming from players who like playing things other then humans when gaming.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, haldir said:

As much as I want to back, I feel like every time I read something about the game, I feel like it's putting down other systems. I'm more of a play what you want, how you want kinda player. If 4e D&D is your thing go for it. Just reading comments on Discord & I feel this way.

I haven't really seen much of this.  I suspect it is because I don't spend any time on Discord; maybe the takes over there are more negative.  I'm definitely an early-D&D kind of guy (2e is my favorite, though admittedly I have virtually zero exposure to 4e, though it seems like almost nobody prefers that edition), but I also agree that people should just play what they want and we shouldn't be judging those choices.  And I recognize that some of the old AD&D mechanics are really convoluted and ridiculous.  I don't mind convoluted at all (I love having to do the math!), but the only reason to make things really complicated (in my opinion, anyway) is to make them more realistic, and that is NOT what is happening in 1e and 2e.

Personally, I am backing Dungeon Dwellers because it seems to strike the right balance between feeling like old D&D and using sensible straightforward mechanics.  None of the other alternatives I have seen do that all that effectively; either nostalgia for old rules get in the way, or new mechanics push game outcomes away from that old school feel.  But it is not for everybody.

16 hours ago, haldir said:

They didn't like the limited racial & class options thou, they felt it was too simple. This is coming from players who like playing things other then humans when gaming.

Maybe after they have expanded the rules to add more classes and folk, it will look more appealing.  I expect they will do that relatively quickly, to capitalize on people who like the game but want more options.  Supposedly it is already in the works, though I don't think it is happening during the Kickstarter.

• Like 2

• Reaper User
18 hours ago, haldir said:

Probably me & the D&D fanboy in me (game I grew up with some 41 years ago) showing, but it's not just D&D, it's all the D&D-like systems.

I did mention this one to my Saturday players & they liked some of things I told them about it so at least there is interest within my group. They thought the no death saves, aka old school gaming was pretty cool + some of the higher spells like wish & stuff were not in player's hands. So at least there is interest. They didn't like the limited racial & class options thou, they felt it was too simple. This is coming from players who like playing things other then humans when gaming.

The limitations are by design.

We're already playtesting many, many new folk and classes. A kitchen sink approach, we believe, dilutes your setting at least at launch.

Once we have our stakes in the ground, then we'll release player options expanding folk, classes, magic, talents, you name it.

Rest assured, this isn't a one and done sort of thing.

As for wanting to play something other off the menu, you can easily reverse engineer the Denizens entries. Keep in mind, the Kargir Horde figures prominently into the Hillsedge Province setting so humanoids aren't exactly welcome in Vestonia, Anhur, etc. Now there's nothing preventing you from running an awesome humanoid focused game playing orcs, bugbears, and the like. I encourage you to do so. Nothing preventing you from doing so. Maybe Anhur provoked the Kargir and Gragg Elfslayer's infamy is more of a Gengis Khan sorta deal.

Your game, your call. I look forward to reading what you do with DDRPG.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Adrift said:

I’m psyched to get them and add them to the one you gave me at ReaperCon years ago 

IMG_2356.jpeg

IMG_2356.heicUnavailable

That was a fun year for rpgs. Loved the Dark Carnival theme.

Ok, I'm finally in & I went the full package, as my FLGS didn't order (or at least they thought they did), the sketch cover variants of the new Pathfinder 2e rules (Core Rules or whatever they are calling their version of OGL-free system).  I'm kinda bummed about that one, but eh it is what it is. I'll wait for the Pocket version now.

If anything, I can always do a "off" week for gaming group & introduce them to a different rpg/setting. I also went for a an extra set of tokens as well. I figured if I want extra minis I can always get those later & I'm sure the PM will be open for a reasonable amount of time afterwards.

• Like 3

19 hours ago, haldir said:

That was a fun year for rpgs. Loved the Dark Carnival theme.

Ok, I'm finally in & I went the full package, as my FLGS didn't order (or at least they thought they did), the sketch cover variants of the new Pathfinder 2e rules (Core Rules or whatever they are calling their version of OGL-free system).  I'm kinda bummed about that one, but eh it is what it is. I'll wait for the Pocket version now.

If anything, I can always do a "off" week for gaming group & introduce them to a different rpg/setting. I also went for a an extra set of tokens as well. I figured if I want extra minis I can always get those later & I'm sure the PM will be open for a reasonable amount of time afterwards.

Good man! 

Look forward to seeing you at ReaperCon ‘24, despite you always saying you’re not coming to the next one. 😅

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 11/10/2023 at 9:06 PM, Corsair said:

I am still torn about this because there are No rpg groups around here I can find. So the only time I get to game is Reapercon. Do I want to invest in this or another game system? Wish I could pull my Bones KS pledge over to this...

What would Emperor Palpatine say?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• Reaper User
On 11/10/2023 at 9:06 PM, Corsair said:

I am still torn about this because there are No rpg groups around here I can find. So the only time I get to game is Reapercon. Do I want to invest in this or another game system? Wish I could pull my Bones KS pledge over to this...

Dude, I feel you.

This is where I fire up my sales pitch...

Nah. Here's what I tell folks, buy what you think you can use and/or will enjoy on some level.

I know I'll never GM every game on my Library of Alexandria-like shelves, and that's ok. I absorb these games, learn from them. Sometimes I rant and rage and fume as I read some disagreeable mechanic or I don't like the worldbuilding. In either case, I love flipping through the pages, looking at the art, and digesting a new game. New books are very much my groove.

So there's value there.

Also... you're supporting us and for that we're eternally grateful. Without your support, no DDRPG. This is a new path for us and we're determined to take it as far as we can. It's uncertain and scary and exciting but totally worth it. I love what I'm doing and ya'll are making that possible.

If your means don't allow it do not back our project. Simple as that. We don't want you hurting yourselves. On the other hand if you do have a few shekels to throw our way, we're happy with any amount as it helps us realize the dream.

So back or don't back. It's a heckuva value but it's also more than a burger and fries.

In either event we're proud and thrilled to have ALL of you along for the journey. It's gonna be a very interesting few months leading up to RCon 2024 and ya'll will be there front and center to witness every triumph and misstep. 😄

Enjoy the show and stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:47 PM, ReaperWolf said:

Dude, I feel you.

This is where I fire up my sales pitch...

Nah. Here's what I tell folks, buy what you think you can use and/or will enjoy on some level.

I know I'll never GM every game on my Library of Alexandria-like shelves, and that's ok. I absorb these games, learn from them. Sometimes I rant and rage and fume as I read some disagreeable mechanic or I don't like the worldbuilding. In either case, I love flipping through the pages, looking at the art, and digesting a new game. New books are very much my groove.

So there's value there.

Also... you're supporting us and for that we're eternally grateful. Without your support, no DDRPG. This is a new path for us and we're determined to take it as far as we can. It's uncertain and scary and exciting but totally worth it. I love what I'm doing and ya'll are making that possible.

If your means don't allow it do not back our project. Simple as that. We don't want you hurting yourselves. On the other hand if you do have a few shekels to throw our way, we're happy with any amount as it helps us realize the dream.

So back or don't back. It's a heckuva value but it's also more than a burger and fries.

In either event we're proud and thrilled to have ALL of you along for the journey. It's gonna be a very interesting few months leading up to RCon 2024 and ya'll will be there front and center to witness every triumph and misstep. 😄

Enjoy the show and stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

I noted a typo in the KS update for dragons, etc. the title says DAAGE Resistance instead of DAMAGE Resistance. 

On 11/10/2023 at 9:28 AM, Adrift said:

Good man! 

Look forward to seeing you at ReaperCon ‘24, despite you always saying you’re not coming to the next one. 😅

I have to admit, the thought of actually coming down next year has crossed my mind, but currently its in the no category. I think the reason I'd come down is for the launch of the actual rules in play for the public. Also, B6 will have been in our hands as well. Something about being at ReaperCon in a Bones year is different. Also, one of the biggest attractions to coming back is @Crowley's game if he comes down again. I had so much fun in that game this year. It really re-fueled the love for Basic D&D. Thou, I see UO's Big10 schedule has them playing Bozo State aka Boise State over in Eugene next year (Sept 14th), so I may wanna go see that instead as well. Love that stadium. perfect setting for a football game.

As far as this KS goes, I think I might be feeling a bit of negativity from last night's D&D session, but I'm not really feeling this one as I should. There have been some fantastic minis released & the rpg stuff is a fantastic value, I guess we'll see once the final bell tolls on this one.

• Like 2

• Reaper User
On 11/15/2023 at 9:13 AM, Adrift said:

I noted a typo in the KS update for dragons, etc. the title says DAAGE Resistance instead of DAMAGE Resistance. 

Thank you!

Just a reminder, all text and content is a work in progress up until we go to print.

Once we move into the playtesting and feedback phases we will definitely NEED your eyeballs. 🙂

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 3