GTKY Question Thread: Nov-Dec 2023

TaleSpinner

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:
What is the most useless  tool/technique  you have tried for your hobby?

I don't know. I think I've been lucky in that I've never had a stinker. Any of the 'brilliant ideas' I've come up with on my own have been at least partially successful. 

• Like 7

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

I haven't sculpted anything (excluding gap filling), yet I own putty and sculpting tools.

Not even sure if the putty (FIMO polymer clay) is still good or not.

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

I bought a pack of sculpting tools way back, maybe 8 tools came in it? I only use two of them, the rest are pretty useless to me unless I go into black market dentistry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

I'm just going to ignore ALL the stuff sitting over there that I haven't actually tried yet.......

I tend to make use of things I get, just often not in the amounts I think I will.

For example, I have 4 lbs of Apoxie Sculpt sitting there, and I'm pretty sure I've used at least 2 oz so far...... (anyone know if Apoxie Sculpt has a shelf life??

But the most useless I've gotten have been some of the drill bits I've gotten off Amazon for pinning.  Both dull and prone to breaking....awesome.

• Like 7

17 hours ago, Corsair said:

ACRYLIC paint! I am old enough to remember painting minis and models with Testors and Humbrol enamels.

The first miniatures I painted were using Testors enamels, which is why I did not paint very many back then, and I painted none at all for about 25 years before coming back.  If it weren't for acrylics, I don't know if I would have stuck around.  So yeah, maybe I'll change my answer and go with acrylic paints too.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

I’m looking over the hobby pile, and I see two bottles of airbrush medium almost completely full.  It doesn’t hold a candle next to alcohol and water, so it’ll probably never get used.

• Like 8

3 hours ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

There are things that I have purchased but barely used (hobby drill, I'm looking at you!), but that has more to do with me than with the tool being useless.  So I guess the most useless would be a couple of bad Kolinsky brushes that just never held a point properly.  It makes me nervous about buying high-end brushes, so I mostly just get by on mid-priced synthetics.  Those seems to have a pretty consistent quality, and my painting skill isn't good enough for the better brushes to make a noticeable difference.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

For example, I have 4 lbs of Apoxie Sculpt sitting there, and I'm pretty sure I've used at least 2 oz so far...... (anyone know if Apoxie Sculpt has a shelf life??

Probably.  Two-part putties have a shelf life.  I keep all my two-part putties in the freezer (green stuff, brown stuff, Milliput). I'm not sure how long they'll last in the freezer, but I know it's a long time.  15-year-old putty still works.

40 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

So I guess the most useless would be a couple of bad Kolinsky brushes that just never held a point properly.

If you buy from Reaper, they should replace bad brushes.  They did it for me.  Also, I've heard Dick Blick will replace bad brushes, but that's not something I've had to do yet.  Most likely other art retailers will do so as well.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Corsair said:

ACRYLIC paint! I am old enough to remember painting minis and models with Testors and Humbrol enamels.

When i left for college my testor enamels dried out. and I had just mastered the amazing technique of BLACKWASH! 
didn't pick up acrylics until  I got talked into joining a this new thing, a kickstarter, over 100 minis!  (then 200....246) for only 100$ 

My best hobby tool was the Wet Pallet.  in this dry climate it was a whole new way to paint.  you could actually have long or multiple sessions without it all drying out. 

Edited by Evilhalfling
  • Like 10

5 hours ago, TGP said:

Tuesday, Nov 14:

This is going back to the late 1970s. Due to stoners getting high sniffing model glue, Testors brought out a replacement glue for styrene that was next to useless. Yup, blue band tube I'm talking about you.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Corsair said:

This is going back to the late 1970s. Due to stoners getting high sniffing model glue, Testors brought out a replacement glue for styrene that was next to useless. Yup, blue band tube I'm talking about you.

& least it smelled good.......:blink:

Tuesday, NOV 14:

Hmmmm, I don't know if I have any as I tend to use whatever I get for the hobbies, but I will say the actual hobby/mini holders that are made out there. I have a couple (thankfully never purchased) that are just gathering dust. Empty Tamiya paint can or craft paint bottle (or even say a old Ral Partha or Model Master bottle) with a something to stick the mini too, simple & done.

(how this post got in Randomness.....maybe I am sniffing that glue..)

• Like 4
  • Haha 6