Painting Elves for Kings of War

Hobby ADHD activate!  Power of "Return to Old Game"

Recently I mentioned the idea of playing Kings of War with the thinking that some of my friends might be tempted to the dark side by the return of the Old World.  The pitch being a "playable" game were they could use any minis that they just couldn't resist buying.  People were more enthusiastic that I expected and I demo'd the game using my 10mm travel set and that went pretty well even if measuring movement in cm is a bit fiddly.

KOW_demo.thumb.jpg.ebc77b6a7e60184dc4ee4dd2fff87313.jpg

I've been pushing playing the smaller games, called KoW Ambush so that players won't feel quite as overwhelmed by the number of minis to paint. 

Anyhow, I have lots of models from abandoned WHFB or Kings of war projects and I'm hoping to avoid buying too much to complete one or two.  Even if the KoW Ambush boxes seem like a good deal.

Starting by building some Oathmark archers and spearelves that will be archers and sea-guard.  Back in the day it was hard to find non-GW figures for these.  At least ones I liked.

Oathmark_01_01.jpg.33fdbcfbb3f61e44d26b366daeb62ceb.jpg

Once I have stuff assembled and poster tacked to some movement trays,  I'll be back to painting star lizards.  I promise.  Maybe.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 7

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Trying to work on a color scheme for some elves.  So far I'm basing it off of Icy Violet. This is a printed Last Sword elf:

Last_Archer_Test_01.jpg.f4600092588260858cdd533c2119fbc0.jpg

Last_Archer_Test_02.jpg.c5e82dd461355e05402fc422d5c1c5de.jpg

Do people like the reddish oiled leather type of color on the quiver and strap?  I could also be talked into a more dramatic color for the bow...

Any and all advice welcome.

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 6

I like this sash in Pale Violet Red a bit better.  Painted the base green as a consider what kind of basing scheme I might use for these.

Last_Archer_Test_03.jpg.ab4702ccf722ebe2f5fd97a3d812cb2e.jpg

The faces on these aren't the easiest to paint even without a bow right in the way.  Also they don't immediately read as female even if they are supposed to be both elves and female. 

• Like 7

My non-artist brain is always shocked or at the lest surprised by the interactions between colors.  

Gamezone_Test_02.jpg.86497acc7c42f314ab9e06b31944ba26.jpg

I think that the green cloak works but somehow it's for a different, more cartoony, maybe Hobbit (vs. LotR) based elf army.   I think that's Pale Moss maybe.  Reaper's label printer be damned.

Should I try a white cloak?  

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 5

26 minutes ago, lowlylowlycook said:

My non-artist brain is always shocked or at the lest surprised by the interactions between colors.  

Gamezone_Test_02.jpg.86497acc7c42f314ab9e06b31944ba26.jpg

I think that the green cloak works but somehow it's for a different, more cartoony, maybe Hobbit (vs. LotR) based elf army.   I think that's Pale Moss maybe.  Reaper's label printer be damned.

Should I try a white cloak?  

Maybe a dark shade of green on it? Overall, I think the color fits the rest of the colors you have on the mini already.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Probably the last test model I'll have to do.  At least for infantry.  Reaper can not put out too many elves in this style IMO.  They especially need to do a musician and standard bearer.

Reaper_Test_01.jpg.db1d3405aa8eb83a77134e7c0e9a63e9.jpg

Anyone have some colors they'd like to see added in or advice before I really get stuck in?

Edited by lowlylowlycook
  • Like 5

On 12/25/2023 at 8:17 PM, lowlylowlycook said:

Trying to work on faces.  I think this looks better close up than on the table.

I don't think that is uncommon.  I often paint eyes that look pretty good on the table but terrible upon closer inspection.  Every once in a while I manage to paint an eye that looks pretty good close up, but it almost never looks good from further away.  I suppose it is just a matter of figuring out what you want to do with the miniature.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1