Setting Lore Thread (previously: What year is it in Adon?)

WKNolen

So, my big thing is the lore of the setting for Dungeon Dwellers RPG. 

In all the other titles like Landlubber's Guide to Brinewind, Dreadmere, Green Griffin, etc., they all use the same world of Adon.  And that's been the Reaper world for decades.

I recently pulled out an old copy of the Dark Heaven Apocalypse ... and I'd forgotten there was info there about not just the nations and geography, but, also about other planes, the moons and zodiac, and ... the calendar!!

What year is it in Adon?

So, there's the Old Age, and the New Age ... I'm given to understand that Dark Heaven Legends are legends from the Apocalypse era?  And Warlord also takes place in Taltos in Adon, though I don't know when.
The last date I can find is 986NA (in Apocalypse).
So, what year is the "current" year in like, The Green Griffin or in the "Hillsedge Province and Westbarrow Hills Sourcebook" from DDRPG?

Edited by WKNolen
Changing thread post title

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, WKNolen said:

So, my big thing is the lore of the setting for Dungeon Dwellers RPG. 

In all the other titles like Landlubber's Guide to Brinewind, Dreadmere, Green Griffin, etc., they all use the same world of Adon.  And that's been the Reaper world for decades.

I recently pulled out an old copy of the Dark Heaven Apocalypse ... and I'd forgotten there was info there about not just the nations and geography, but, also about other planes, the moons and zodiac, and ... the calendar!!

So, there's the Old Age, and the New Age ... I'm given to understand that Dark Heaven Legends are legends from the Apocalypse era?  And Warlord also takes place in Taltos in Adon, though I don't know when.
The last date I can find is 986NA (in Apocalypse).
So, what year is the "current" year in like, The Green Griffin or in the "Hillsedge Province and Westbarrow Hills Sourcebook" from DDRPG?

I like this question very much.  For me it gets down to how much will the Warlord Core and Army guide lore be fit into the ongoing development of DDRPG?  Will the Reptus and Koborlas make an appearance?

On 11/28/2023 at 9:42 AM, ReaperWolf said:

986 of the New Age (NA).

I'd like to thank you, so much,  @ReaperWolf!!!!
I've spent the last couple of days pouring over material from the new "Traveller's Guide to Barrowgate, the Haunted City"!! It's absolutely stellar!
I'm guessing this must've been some of the stuff you were hinting at during the last Bones Kickstarter when you said there was something big in the works, and encouraged us to to let Reaper know how interested we were!

Out of curiosity, are there any major developments in the timeline that we ought to be aware of?
Like, I remember you once referring to a map, I believe, and saying that it was older or out-of-date or something like that. 

On 11/23/2023 at 11:47 AM, gwangi32 said:

I like this question very much.  For me it gets down to how much will the Warlord Core and Army guide lore be fit into the ongoing development of DDRPG?  Will the Reptus and Koborlas make an appearance?

I'm kind of curious ... did ReaperWolf's reply answer your question?  I don't know how much lore was different in the expansions you're referring to, or what changed.  So, I'm curious!

Edited by WKNolen
formatting

• Reaper User
On 12/4/2023 at 12:03 PM, WKNolen said:

I'd like to thank you, so much,  @ReaperWolf!!!!
I've spent the last couple of days pouring over material from the new "Traveller's Guide to Barrowgate, the Haunted City"!! It's absolutely stellar!
I'm guessing this must've been some of the stuff you were hinting at during the last Bones Kickstarter when you said there was something big in the works, and encouraged us to to let Reaper know how interested we were!

Out of curiosity, are there any major developments in the timeline that we ought to be aware of?
Like, I remember you once referring to a map, I believe, and saying that it was older or out-of-date or something like that. 

I'm kind of curious ... did ReaperWolf's reply answer your question?  I don't know how much lore was different in the expansions you're referring to, or what changed.  So, I'm curious!

Heya!

Thanks for the kind words. I'm thrilled to read you're enjoying Barrowgate. I look forward to revisiting the city VERY SOON!

🙂

In terms of timeline, not really. We established a timeline in Apocalypse and haven't advanced it further on purpose. We needed to get all those duckies in a row before we turned on the clock.

So 986 NA until you hear otherwise.

The Forgotten Realms did something similar in AD&D 1e and 2e eras and only towards the end of 2e did they advance the time from 1456 DR if I recall correctly. Skullport was ages ago.

As to Warlord's influence, DDRPG and Warlord share a lot of real estate but expect some updates and revisions. The focus on Warlord is skirmish wargaming so the setting has to be wartorn whereas DDRPG is focused on exploration and adventure. Warlord was focused on eastern Adon, but DDRPG (at least for the time being) is focused on north-western Adon.

Great questions thanks for asking!

>>ReaperWolf

11 hours ago, gwangi32 said:

In a way I have an answer.  The timeline isn’t mentioned in Warlord, or I missed it, but the names of characters in Dark Apocalypse are the same, for example Boris Mingla, as those in Warlord.

Most if not all of the characters in the Apocalypse material will appear in future publications.

I already have a rogues gallery of sorts in the works for the Hillsedge Province and the Free City of Farkeep has a lot of named characters skulking about.

>>ReaperWolf

On 12/5/2023 at 10:00 PM, ReaperWolf said:

Heya! Thanks for the kind words. I'm thrilled to read you're enjoying Barrowgate.

Thanks, so much for being SO accessible to the fans, @ReaperWolf!!!

I look forward to revisiting the city VERY SOON! 🙂

There's SO MUCH in that sentence, it's simply fraught with foreshadowing!

In terms of timeline, not really. We established a timeline in Apocalypse and haven't advanced it further on purpose. We needed to get all those duckies in a row before we turned on the clock.  So 986 NA until you hear otherwise.

This is great to know!  That's precisely the answer I was looking for!! I'm kinda of glad that y'all are doing it like this!  There's so many settings that advance the timeline when there's still so much to explore in the timeline they already have! 

As to Warlord's influence, DDRPG and Warlord share a lot of real estate but expect some updates and revisions. The focus on Warlord is skirmish wargaming so the setting has to be wartorn whereas DDRPG is focused on exploration and adventure. Warlord was focused on eastern Adon, but DDRPG (at least for the time being) is focused on north-western Adon.

Aaaahhhhh!  I guess that was something I already knew, but didn't really put it together quite like that, that different games have a different focus that impacts the way they are written and the type of impact that'd have on the setting.  

Just for sake of feedback:  I absolutely love the micro-detail in Warlord, not only in lore, but also in the "zoomed in" map that added detail to the geography of the region.  I sincerely hope that the "Hillsedge Province and Westbarrow Hills Sourcebook" will kind of do the same thing!

Most if not all of the characters in the Apocalypse material will appear in future publications.
I already have a rogues gallery of sorts in the works for the Hillsedge Province and the Free City of Farkeep has a lot of named characters skulking about.

Again with the foreshadowing!  LOL 

This is something that sounds so fun!  Honestly, since the original D&D Shady Dragon Inn and "Rogue's Gallery" articles in Dragon magazine, I've always adored that kind of article with short backstories and information about NPCs.   I'm already trying to cross reference NPCs from The 12th Journal of Johann Kruger to later information on the same NPCs Krug and Dalton encounter in that novella.  

• Like 1

There was some in the old issues of Reaper Casketworks, the dead tree version of the web store.  You can find some very slow loading pdfs on the Wayback Machine website.  You'll have to dig for it.  I don't know if any old catalogs ever end up on ebay.   I have a few but I don't think most people kept them. 

• Like 1

• Reaper User
2 hours ago, Titleknown said:

...Holy crap I didn't know there was lore for this setting beyond the free preview adventures. I mean, it makes sense, but still! Anyone got any good sources/archives of the lore that's not available there?

Yeah, lots of snips and hidden bites over the past two decades.

It's all coming... stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

11 hours ago, WKNolen said:

Thanks, so much for being SO accessible to the fans, @ReaperWolf!!!

There's SO MUCH in that sentence, it's simply fraught with foreshadowing!

This is great to know!  That's precisely the answer I was looking for!! I'm kinda of glad that y'all are doing it like this!  There's so many settings that advance the timeline when there's still so much to explore in the timeline they already have! 

Aaaahhhhh!  I guess that was something I already knew, but didn't really put it together quite like that, that different games have a different focus that impacts the way they are written and the type of impact that'd have on the setting.  

Just for sake of feedback:  I absolutely love the micro-detail in Warlord, not only in lore, but also in the "zoomed in" map that added detail to the geography of the region.  I sincerely hope that the "Hillsedge Province and Westbarrow Hills Sourcebook" will kind of do the same thing!

Again with the foreshadowing!  LOL 

This is something that sounds so fun!  Honestly, since the original D&D Shady Dragon Inn and "Rogue's Gallery" articles in Dragon magazine, I've always adored that kind of article with short backstories and information about NPCs.   I'm already trying to cross reference NPCs from The 12th Journal of Johann Kruger to later information on the same NPCs Krug and Dalton encounter in that novella.  

You won't be disappointed.

The love and care put into the Green Griffin and Barrowgate (as well as Savage Coast and Brinewind, Dreadmere...) is going into the Hillsedge Province.

Shady Dragon and Rogues Gallery are wonderful resources. Shady Dragon is the inspiration for the Stones Throw Inn - the featured haven going into the Gamemaster's Vault. Up on the hill overlooking a meadow and the distant town. It's a perfect refuge for the weary adventurer.

Rogues Gallery is populated with a lot of the DDRPG bones miniatures. I haven't done any updates in a few months but last time I counted there were 20 or so named personages.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Titleknown said:

...Holy crap I didn't know there was lore for this setting beyond the free preview adventures. I mean, it makes sense, but still! Anyone got any good sources/archives of the lore that's not available there?

So, I've been having to dig for most of it, in various sources.  ... as Inarah basically said.  
I've looked at—

• the image previews on Kickstarters ( like Bones I -  VI) that have little lore paragraphs on them
  • ...and physical sourcebooks from ReaperCons ... Landlubbers Guide(s) to Brinewind,  the Landlubbers Guide to The Savage Coast , and the Travellers Guide to Barrowgate (from ReaperCon2023) are still available on the Reaper site for about $13 to $17 apiece, with maps.
  • ... and I've bought some older stuff off eBay, like the original Dark Heaven: Apocalypse game (which has a numbered map, with writeups on each nation and geographical feature), and The 12th Journal of Johann Kruger (a 70-page novella with its own version of the map) For example, This Auction on eBay is basically just the box and books, for $50.  With the minis and all, this woul dgo for something like $150 or more. 
  •  ... and there's a couple of things available from the Reaper website, like the Green Gryphon Inn, and the Vanishing Blackguard.   As well as the Dreadmere Handout (from ReaperCon 2017) which is also still available.

I have also kinda scoured the 'net, and found things like old, archived pages for Warlord that had faction descriptions.  And for the old Casketworks magazine PDFs that used to be downloadable from Reaper.  Sadly, the whole magazine wasn't always available in the PDFs.  Sometimes they're just portions.

I'm still planning on picking up Dark Heaven: Legends and Warlord: Savage North

It's all amazing content, and I love the tone and style it's all written.  The only thing I could really say ... there's not a unified world-book kind of thing.  

But, it really sounds like ReaperWolf is saying there's even better stuff than ever coming out soon! 

Edited by WKNolen
  • Like 1

There's also two fiction novels,  Warlord Rising and Warlord Revenge, by Michales Joy, which may give you more background.  I'm not sure if his other books are connected to the same setting. 

2 hours ago, WKNolen said:

It's all amazing content, and I love the tone and style it's all written.  The only thing I could really say ... there's not a unified world-book kind of thing.  

It's all been created piecemeal by various writers over the years as an act of love.  It would take some effort to collect, collate, and revise everything. 

• Like 2

I mean ... that IS the point of a world setting book, though.   And that's usually how it's done when there's a lot of setting information already.   It's collected and/or re-written over a fair amount of time and through output of a fair amount of effort.  

That's just how those things happen.  

But, I kinda think—if I were forced to guess—that ReaperWolf has written the largest majority of it, and likely knows the rest of it.   So, if anyone could do it, I would dare say he's more than up to the task.   But, from the sounds of it, he's already well on his way toward doing that.

• Like 1

• Reaper User
12 hours ago, WKNolen said:

I mean ... that IS the point of a world setting book, though.   And that's usually how it's done when there's a lot of setting information already.   It's collected and/or re-written over a fair amount of time and through output of a fair amount of effort.  

That's just how those things happen.  

But, I kinda think—if I were forced to guess—that ReaperWolf has written the largest majority of it, and likely knows the rest of it.   So, if anyone could do it, I would dare say he's more than up to the task.   But, from the sounds of it, he's already well on his way toward doing that.

I appreciate your faith, thank you. ❤️

We have a chonky campaign bible used by myself and others to stay on track in terms of tone and content. I have a 38 page bible on just the Hillsedge Province alone. Dreadmere is enormous, no idea how much space that monster occupies and the Free City of Farkeep was over 100 pages the last time I checked. Everything written before 2023 needs a thorough going over and updating. The mountain is pretty steep at this point 'cuz it's pretty much me doing the design and writing under Ron's close supervision.

We have plans for larger, consolidated publications in the near future. Lots of ground to cover.

If you have any specific questions or are curious about this, that, or the other thing post 'em here or on the Discord server. I make an effort to answer every question and post. Reaper fans are the best fans and I'm eager to engage and inspire.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 4

22 hours ago, ReaperWolf said:

The mountain is pretty steep at this point 'cuz it's pretty much me doing the design and writing under Ron's close supervision.

I can absolutely picture you sitting at a computer, furiously typing, while Ron stands behind you, arms crossed, shaking his head or making disapproving sounds every now and then...

• Haha 3