Jump to content

Setting Lore Thread (previously: What year is it in Adon?)


WKNolen
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Reaper User
19 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

 

I can absolutely picture you sitting at a computer, furiously typing, while Ron stands behind you, arms crossed, shaking his head or making disapproving sounds every now and then...

I wish! Ron has so much on his plate at the moment we're lucky if we get to gab once a week. 😄

I work in Google Drive so he can peek in on me whenever. When I see the magenta cursor, I know he's watching.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, ReaperWolf said:

I wish! Ron has so much on his plate at the moment we're lucky if we get to gab once a week. 😄

I work in Google Drive so he can peek in on me whenever. When I see the magenta cursor, I know he's watching.

Just say deep blood red Curser.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2023 at 10:32 AM, ReaperWolf said:



If you have any specific questions or are curious about this, that, or the other thing post 'em here or on the Discord server. I make an effort to answer every question and post. Reaper fans are the best fans and I'm eager to engage and inspire.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

Razig, this is a villain I want to use.  Is he already in one of the sources mentioned?  All I have is the test rules for a Warlord Faction.  Which is fine, but if something is out there I would be happy to skip the development of the rules in favor of plotting the downfall of my players.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reaper User
1 hour ago, gwangi32 said:

Razig, this is a villain I want to use.  Is he already in one of the sources mentioned?  All I have is the test rules for a Warlord Faction.  Which is fine, but if something is out there I would be happy to skip the development of the rules in favor of plotting the downfall of my players.

Razig eh? Fun.

Nothing official in print.

I'm disinclined to post stats for demigods. Razig travels the worlds' oceans. He sails where and when he wants. The Dark Maiden is equivalent to Baba Yaga's hut. Razig plays for keeps. He's got a twisted sense of honor and fairplay like Captain Barbosa but he's brilliantly villainous. He has ships full of loyal undead including packs of ferocious lacedons, scores of skeletons and zombies, haunts, cannons firing flaming skeletons, and banshees. Razig, himself, is equivalent to a Graveknight (Death Knight) like Lord Soth.

The dark maiden is alive and her masthead is an immensely powerful wood golem, and most if not all of the weapons used by Razig and his crew have a supernatural element to them (wounding, energy drain, etc). The lanterns spew narcotics and poison and can be hurled over the gunwales to weaken enemy ships.

Death is only the beginning! If a PC falls fighting Razig, they becomes part of the crew and bound to Razig's will.

Now Razig does have a modestly sized fleet meaning there are captains under him. Having the PCs square off with one of these captains might be a better fit otherwise your PCs are likely outmatched.

Then again it's your game so if your PCs are living legends and/or demigods in their own right have at it.

Edited by ReaperWolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reaper User
14 minutes ago, gwangi32 said:

Wow thanks for the epic reply!  I am inspired to develop my game to a confrontation with Razig at the end.  A legend and myth in the background at first.  Yup I definitely have plenty to work with here.

Kewl! Keep us posted here with updates. I look forward to many tales of high adventure.

>>ReaperWolf

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, ReaperWolf said:

Razig eh? Fun.
... The dark maiden is alive and her masthead is an immensely powerful wood golem, and most if not all of the weapons used by Razig and his crew have a supernatural element to them (wounding, energy drain, etc). The lanterns spew narcotics and poison and can be hurled over the gunwales to weaken enemy ships....

adore the trope of magical ships of various sorts (including flying, ones that can go underwater, folding ships, etc), but one I love more than most is magical ships with a living figurehead!  Have you ever read Robin Hobb's Ship of Magic in the Liveship Traders series?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 12/11/2023 at 12:28 PM, ReaperWolf said:

I'm disinclined to post stats for demigods. Razig travels the worlds' oceans. He sails where and when he wants. The Dark Maiden is equivalent to Baba Yaga's hut. Razig plays for keeps. He's got a twisted sense of honor and fair play like Captain Barbosa but he's brilliantly villainous.

I was just going through things and reading setting lore and forum posts, and I stumbled into deities, and had to come back to this post. 

So, I came across a list where someone had tried to compile information about deities, and I compared it to the official list that was published in the DDRPG Beta.  ... and there's a couple I didn't know about.  I had to look up Razig, and found him on an archived page for Warlord that had "Rogue Factions". 

 

So, my questions are thus: 
There's Razig and Tha'kisk who are listed as demi-gods?   Are there others?
And can you tell us anything about Sokar and/or Ghoeskull?  Is Sokar one of the Nefsokar deities?  I haven't found any information on them. 

 

 

 

 

[Edit note: I updated the post title to—

Setting Lore Thread (previously: What year is it in Adon?)

... since we're discussing a lot of other things in this thread than just the original "What year is it" lore. ]

Edited by WKNolen
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reaper User
1 hour ago, WKNolen said:

I was just going through things and reading setting lore and forum posts, and I stumbled into deities, and had to come back to this post. 

So, I came across a list where someone had tried to compile information about deities, and I compared it to the official list that was published in the DDRPG Beta.  ... and there's a couple I didn't know about.  I had to look up Razig, and found him on an archived page for Warlord that had "Rogue Factions". 

 

So, my questions are thus: 
There's Razig and Tha'kisk who are listed as demi-gods?   Are there others?
And can you tell us anything about Sokar and/or Ghoeskull?  Is Sokar one of the Nefsokar deities?  I haven't found any information on them. 

 

 

 

 

[Edit note: I updated the post title to—

Setting Lore Thread (previously: What year is it in Adon?)

... since we're discussing a lot of other things in this thread than just the original "What year is it" lore. ]

We have an extensive pantheon which will see print at some point. The gods of Adon aren't as meddlesome as the Greek but they do keep tabs on the world. Domains will be more important thematically than they are in 5e. The idea of a god of peace allowing worshipers to cast inflict wounds conflicts with the setting.

There are other demigods. These are either godlings (INCREDIBLY RARE) or elevated beings who have transcended mortal boundaries. I haven't done much development on the process but they can be worshiped like saints. Oh we have three named saints too which are, again, demigods owing to their transcendence.

As for Sokar I haven't done any work on these. The sandy south is still a major source of mystery until we get around to developing it further. For now the Warlord material is your best bet for "canon" info on those areas... for now.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, ReaperWolf said:

As for Sokar I haven't done any work on these. The sandy south is still a major source of mystery until we get around to developing it further. For now the Warlord material is your best bet for "canon" info on those areas... for now.

Is it known if Sokar is like a Sun God, or anything?

Honestly, I like the regions like Hakir, Malapango, etc. being mysterious places.   I want them in a game, but I don't want to run a whole campaign there.   So, light details are best for that kind of area, IMO.  It's supposed to be intentionally vague to remain mysterious!  If nowhere is mysterious, a setting gets dull. 


Also, can you tell us who the three saints are, or what their domains/portfolios are?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oooooohhhh!!  I didn't know that, @Inarah !!   I hadn't ever heard of that Egyptian deity before!  (Or maybe I had, but had forgotten.)

Along those lines, I also noticed that the Lost Tombs of Hakir expansion also lists Tawaret, Anubis, Sobek, Wadjet, Ammut, Bast, and Horus.  So, clearly, Hakir uses the Egyptian pantheon.  Which, honestly, I think is better, because it avoids the whole thing of making problematic weird fantasy-versions of Egyptian-themed gods that don't necessarily read quite right.

 

Honestly, that's the way Greyhawk does the Olman (Olmec/Aztec/Mayan) deities.  They "were originally worshipped on another Material plane, and found their way to Oerth".  

 

Also, I just realized the faction is Nef-Sokar, so, obvs.   Duh.  🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

 

[Edited to correct tagged name.  I misattributed the wrong poster.]

Edited by WKNolen
correcting tagged name
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Reaper User
13 minutes ago, WKNolen said:

Oooooohhhh!!  I didn't know that, @ReaperWolf!!   I hadn't ever heard of that Egyptian deity before!  (Or maybe I had, but had forgotten.)

Along those lines, I also noticed that the Lost Tombs of Hakir expansion also lists Tawaret, Anubis, Sobek, Wadjet, Ammut, Bast, and Horus.  So, clearly, Hakir uses the Egyptian pantheon.  Which, honestly, I think is better, because it avoids the whole thing of making problematic weird fantasy-versions of Egyptian-themed gods that don't necessarily read quite right.

 

Honestly, that's the way Greyhawk does the Olman (Olmec/Aztec/Mayan) deities.  They "were originally worshipped on another Material plane, and found their way to Oerth".  

 

Also, I just realized the faction is Nef-Sokar, so, obvs.   Duh.  🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️

TBH, I'd like to move away from the Greek names for the Old Hakirian pantheon. Egypt, i.e. Khem is one of my favorite ancient empires along with the Mesoamerican. We're still some ways off from tackling these regions in detail. Lotta real estate to cover in northern Adon. The edges of the map will have to stay blurry for the time being.

The saints are Saint Tarkus (undeath), Sister Justinia (compassion), and the Black Friar (Evil). Tarkus shattered the boundaries between Avalorr and the Plane of death (Negative Material), Sister Justinia sacrificed herself to heal the injured after a terrible battle and gave rise to the Battle Nuns of Aurellius, and the Black Friar penned the Nocturnomicon in the name of Khardullis the Dark Sun.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, ReaperWolf said:

the Black Friar penned the Nocturnomicon in the name of Khardullis the Dark Sun.

I swear ... every sentence you say has more and more lore, and makes me want to either a.) put together an entire lore fan-magazine, or b.) ask a bajillion questions.  
So, in lieu of desktop-publishing another magazine: 
Is the Nocturnomicon similar to the Necronomicon?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ReaperWolf said:

TBH, I'd like to move away from the Greek names for the Old Hakirian pantheon. Egypt, i.e. Khem is one of my favorite ancient empires along with the Mesoamerican.

Well, to be fair, I like new and interesting deities and I prefer them to historical ones.  I always feel it's more fitting for the historical-fantasy genre to focus on more of the "fantasy" part when it comes to deities.   The only catch is that it's so difficult to do well, and not have them be a mockery of their inspirations.  And when there's so many more important setting aspects to write, it seems unnecessary.  

 

But, honestly, years from now when the time comes to write more about Hakir, it wouldn't be difficult to do something like write a short bit of lore and post it online that simply explains why the Hakiri (? .. is that the right term? Are people also Hakirian as well as objects or ideas?) learned that they'd been worshipping versions of their deities that weren't the "true forms" (or whatever) ... .   Then the names could be given equivalences or retconned or whatever.  Or it could just be a meta thing where Reaper puts out a press announcement that says, "We will no longer use the names of real-world entities." or whatever, and not get into it for lore, just simply change the names.  🤷‍♀️

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...