Metal Mini Prices Going Up

GoldenPiggy

They said on Reaper Live a year or so ago that they would no longer produce new sculpts in metal.   The exception to this in 2023 was the Necromancer Ed figure made by Tom Meier for Reapercon. 

You can still buy metal figures from the existing catalog/web store.   https://www.reapermini.com/miniatures/dhl/latest/page1

• Like 1

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

At ReaperCon this past year, when I took the factory tour (which I highly recommend!), Dave said that as long as the metal miniatures kept selling, they would keep casting them, even though they are not producing new sculpts.  That does not mean they will always keep every mini in stock, but it costs them nothing to hang onto the molds, and it is simple enough to work out the cost of the metal to make stable profits off of them.  If a mold breaks or wears out, though, they are unlikely to replace it.

• Like 3

well hopefully the molds stay tip-top shape, then there is always hope. I mean who would have thought, after decades, that the original Grenadier Giant's club series would be re-cast and sold by the folks at Merliton, but they did it, and in white metal to boot.

On 1/7/2024 at 6:15 AM, Marc said:

I’m a Bones fan (and plastic minis in general) not a metal fan, so I don’t keep up with Reaper’s metal minis but I assumed metal minis were still popular an that Reaper was still producing them.

I love the metal, despite all the issues of challenging fitment of the multi-parts, fragility, cost, prone to chipping if handled, etc. They are the pinnacle of detail and offer the promise of the kind  of jaw dropping paints you see from the pro's,

results that i  dream about, but have never come close to  :)

the other attraction for me is just childhood nostalgia

I will say the newest plastic is very good, i bought the Drow Queen on her throne 44090 Bones Black, that i would love to do in a diorama . This thing sells for 8 bucks, probably $30.  if they did it in metal

Edited by Fencig
  • Like 2

On 1/8/2024 at 1:45 PM, Fencig said:

I love the metal, despite all the issues of challenging fitment of the multi-parts, fragility, cost, prone to chipping if handled, etc. They are the pinnacle of detail and offer the promise of the kind  of draw jobbing paints you see from the pro's,

results that i  dream about, but have never come close to  :)

the other attraction for me is just childhood nostalgia

I will say the newest plastic is very good, i bought the Drow Queen on her throne 44090 Bones Black, that i would love to do in a diorama . This thing sells for 8 bucks, probably $30.  if they did it in metal

I'm also a huge fan of metal miniatures.  I like their level of detail, the characteristics of the material, and the fact that I've gotten used to them in the 35 odd years I've been painting.  IMHO, plastic is an inferior medium and I only buy it when I have no other choice.

However, if Reaper ever stops making metal figs completely (and they eventually will) I won't  be too worried - I've still got enough metal in my stash to last me three lifetimes.  But, it bums me out knowing that there will be no new sculpts being produced in the medium.

The Egg 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Egg of Coot said:

However, if Reaper ever stops making metal figs completely (and they eventually will) I won't  be too worried - I've still got enough metal in my stash to last me three lifetimes.  But, it bums me out knowing that there will be no new sculpts being produced in the medium.

The Egg 

Same here. I've bought so much metal over the last year, the weight is starting to break apart the dresser drawers  that they sit in. It has also taken so much of my time to find, bid, receive, evaluate, strip of old paint (where applicable) that my actual painting has come full stop.

17 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

I'm also saddened to hear metal is slowly being sunset, as a good amount of the ones I really like are such. 

the small makers will always be either metal or 3D print. I just bought my first printed yesterday, simply because it was a subject matter that no one else makes.  you can choose your scale, and they warn detail is lost when you go all the way down to 28mm, but we'll see.  I can handle the detail, but hopefully i won't be sanding all the Ghosting/ ripple-texture out of them for days on end.

In this sense , i think printing is useful, some things/subject-matter just won't be sculpted for various reasons.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fencig said:

Same here. I've bought so much metal over the last year, the weight is starting to break apart the dresser drawers  that they sit in. It has also taken so much of my time to find, bid, receive, evaluate, strip of old paint (where applicable) that my actual painting has come full stop.

Yeah.  It's amazing how much time (and space!) is required to process old figs.  I've had some huge cleaning sessions - tackling four one gallon ice cream tubs full of miniatures with Simple Green, an ultrasonic cleaner, and a wire brush - and they've sucked up a LOT of time where I could have been painting.

I'm at a point of saturation as far as minis go, and I've stopped buying lot of old figs so I can at least make a dent in my "to do" pile.  Processing old stuff is just too much work.  These days I'm limiting my purchasing to the last of the Reaper DHL minis I don't own - I'm down to less than 200 SKUs at this point - and that's about it as far as metal goes.

The Egg 

• Like 3

On 1/10/2024 at 7:27 PM, Egg of Coot said:

Yeah.  It's amazing how much time (and space!) is required to process old figs.  I've had some huge cleaning sessions - tackling four one gallon ice cream tubs full of miniatures with Simple Green, an ultrasonic cleaner, and a wire brush - and they've sucked up a LOT of time where I could have been painting.

it is quite a PITA to do, for me it's been old GW LOTR figures commemorating the movies, the original metal stuff from 20 years ago. Very pricey, even with paint slopped all over it. One Ogre the paint was easily 3mm thick.

I'm close though, a few more of the box sets, and i have a few duplicates of single figures i will sell to recoup. Interestingly, the plastic later releases of the same models sell for much less, although it's obvious the detail isn't quite there as they are injected molded on a sprue

I think my favorite thing GW did was their hybrid stuff.  Large models of winged-things had all metal bodies but  very robust plastic wings on a large sturdy peg that registered in  a hole in the body

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Fencig said:

it is quite a PITA to do, for me it's been old GW LOTR figures commemorating the movies, the original metal stuff from 20 years ago. Very pricey, even with paint slopped all over it. One Ogre the paint was easily 3mm thick.

I'm close though, a few more of the box sets, and i have a few duplicates of single figures i will sell to recoup. Interestingly, the plastic later releases of the same models sell for much less, although it's obvious the detail isn't quite there as they are injected molded on a sprue

I think my favorite thing GW did was their hybrid stuff.  Large models of winged-things had all metal bodies but  very robust plastic wings on a large sturdy peg that registered in  a hole in the body

I'm sitting on a pile of old Citadel figs - all pre-slotta stuff like the Fiend Factory line.  Never got into the later GW lines simply because I never cared much for the "Warhammer aesthetic" that dominates their artwork.  Different tastes.

As far as thick paint goes, you haven't truly fought with it until you've tried you hand at removing heavy coats of 40 year old Testors paint . . .

Ral Partha also experimented with mixed mediums for their figs - the old The Conflict boxed set comes to mind - though they never utilized it to the extent GW has.  RP also delved a little into plastic figures back in the late 80s/early 90s -  I think that coincided with industry move from lead to white metals around that time.

The Egg

• Like 4