Ral Partha Legacy Elf warrior with Shield and Spear, sculpted by Tom Meier

72moonglum

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Dr Boom said:

Nice clean work once again. Those pastels suit elves beautifully.

Thanks Dr.Boom! I seem to do a lot of elves in pastels, don’t know why!

11 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

I love it!

I'm still struggling to paint pastel colours.

I’ve been doing it a while now. I typically start out with either pure white or leather white and then just start adding my washes of progressively darker colors, starting out for example with a lemon yellow, then sun yellow, then lantern yellow, et cetera. 

8 hours ago, Rigel said:

Great color scheme, and love those swirly boots! 

I wish I could take credit for the boots but they were sculpted that way!

1 hour ago, Nial ap Morai said:

I struggle with eyes, the elf’s look great

Practice, practice, practice, steady hands, good support and big magnifying nerd goggles!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Samedi said:

Thanks for posting yet another Ral Partha - I really do love most of their sculpts.

And thanks for revealing your pastel technique - I've never thought of starting with white and then working with washes/glazes. I'll have to try that!

No problem, always glad to show off Ral Partha and always something on the desk coming next, even though these last few months life and its general responsibilities have been taking my painting time and reducing it to almost nothing. Hopefully that’s only temporary though.

Yeah, with pastels either a pure white or a leather white to start out with. The advantage of starting out with leather white is that you can still use pure white for a final highlight.

On 12/2/2023 at 3:23 PM, Chaoswolf said:

Great job!

Thank you Chaoswolf! Appreciate it!

On 12/8/2023 at 10:40 AM, Grand Slam said:

I'm also a big advocate of big magnifying nerd goggles... total game changer!

This came out nice, especially the vivid blue of the shirt. The shield color almost evokes a battleship hull for me, so I guess it's also appropriate for a sea elf. 🙂

Yup, there comes a point in many painters’ lives when they find out they use can’t see close up like they used to.  I think that happened to me about ten or so years ago.   I afterwards came upon some nice and very inexpensive nerd goggles from Harbor Freight, but after the pandemic those goggles apparently disappeared from production, so glad I have the ones I do.  At this point it’s crazy to think that I used to have no problem whatsoever seeing those little partha Meier eyeballs and hitting them with a pointed brush.

• Like 2