NMM Custodian - no really, it's a NMM Custodian

R2ED

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the most amazing thing we're seeing here is the fact that someone's managing to run with all that armor on. 

Aside from that, the paint job is superb. With the gold armor having that yellowish coloration, it complements the purple bits perfectly. The nmm really works and it's set off even more by the beautiful detail painting (especially those shoulder pauldrons).

Loving the cape design, too 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

@Grand Slam I'm not sure how they do it either, but I guess that's what makes them the best of the best of the best of the best. Of the best.  The colors were picked by my friend who I painted it for, but didn't say the value of shade, so that was some artistic lonely liberty on my part.  The details took a good while to complete, but it helped if I did them in chunks and kept the colors simple.

@Max Retainersthe time I usually like to spend on a mini is about 3 hours of paint time. This one was closer to 5 or 6 across 3 sessions. That NMM is not too be trifled with for the feint of heart, but the results are way more rewarding than just metallic. I actually struggle more with metal looking good than just going NMM and playing with something matte.  Personal opinion of course. Thanks for the input and glad you like it.

• Like 3

@Nial ap MoraiI'm going to say that something that really helps is keeping your palette simple. 3 colors and start dark and end light. It's not a science and you can always darken or lighten something. The focal points are the edges and sharp points. If you only did bright spots on the edge and tips, that is a great start to learning it. I still miss the reflective areas and directional lighting, but really it's a practice thing. I also picked a challenge for myself and this is really difficult. I would love to see you try it, even if you feel it failed just to know you did it. It does get better (not easier), and you'll start to see improvements each time.

A good way to start out with not just NMM but overall layering and blending are those triad sets from reaper.  They mix and play well with each other making less room for error on mixing on the palette. Good luck and I'd love to see you take a shot at it. 

Oh and one more thing, remember it's not about selling the color.  It's about selling the effect. What does the eye perceive and the illusion of reflective light.  Worth noting so you don't struggle trying to make it gold or silver or whatever. Just use the 3 colors to sell the effect.

Edited by R2ED
  • Like 2

16 hours ago, R2ED said:

@Nial ap MoraiI'm going to say that something that really helps is keeping your palette simple. 3 colors and start dark and end light. It's not a science and you can always darken or lighten something. The focal points are the edges and sharp points. If you only did bright spots on the edge and tips, that is a great start to learning it. I still miss the reflective areas and directional lighting, but really it's a practice thing. I also picked a challenge for myself and this is really difficult. I would love to see you try it, even if you feel it failed just to know you did it. It does get better (not easier), and you'll start to see improvements each time.

A good way to start out with not just NMM but overall layering and blending are those triad sets from reaper.  They mix and play well with each other making less room for error on mixing on the palette. Good luck and I'd love to see you take a shot at it. 

Oh and one more thing, remember it's not about selling the color.  It's about selling the effect. What does the eye perceive and the illusion of reflective light.  Worth noting so you don't struggle trying to make it gold or silver or whatever. Just use the 3 colors to sell the effect.

Thanks! I will definitely try it!

• Like 1