Painting and assembling in process?

I've always put my minis together before painting, mostly because I can't imagine how the primer (and paint) that I don't know how to keep out of an unassembled joint wouldn't cause extremely weak points that keep the glue from holding.  I'm looking at another model I want to paint that I can't see how to paint after its glued, so I figured I'll ask now.  The connection points are tiny, so I'm not sure if I can pin it. Here's the mini from Darksword Miniatures. 

image.png.2b2c78eb615b72d8bbc69d645530ceb3.png

The pieces in question are the bow hand, and the violin (connected at the wrist).  So, does the primer inhibit glue adhesion?  Is there some kind of preparation I need to do before gluing (or before priming) so that the joints will fit and hold properly? 

The cape and base are also separate pieces from the main body, but they don't look *as* hard to paint together. 

Edited by Gryphon

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Always remember glue adheres to the top most layer.

Now, if you had the thin type of superglue, then it should wick inside the parts at the seams. If your not good with superglue, then thin type might not be your thing, as it's as thin as water & it'll go everywhere if your not careful. As far as getting around this, you add tips or thin tubes to the superglue bottle.

The other types of glues, it's best to squeeze some out on a non-porus surface & then use toothpicks to apply it. If you use accelerator, then I like using a squeeze bottle with a metal tube coming out, so I don't get it everywhere like a spray.

If your worried about the strength of the glue, best to try & pin the parts together. Some parts are extremely thin, so you might not be able to pin those down.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I would mask sections you know will be glued. Then paint what you can. Assemble and glue (super gel doesn’t run as much, or two part epoxy).

You may have to touch up some of seems. Normally just paint works since it’s not a high wear or color area. If you have to prime, manually prime with a brush and touch up with paint.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Neatpete said:

I would mask sections you know will be glued. Then paint what you can. Assemble and glue (super gel doesn’t run as much, or two part epoxy).

You may have to touch up some of seems. Normally just paint works since it’s not a high wear or color area. If you have to prime, manually prime with a brush and touch up with paint.

How do you mask parts?  With something big I would use making tape, but a tiny piece, I don't think would adhere through the force of the primer being blasted on. (Thinks... sticky tack?)

Edited by Gryphon

1 hour ago, Gryphon said:

How do you mask parts?  With finding big I would use making tape, but a tiny piece, I don't think would adhere through the force of the primer being blasted on. (Thinks... sticky tack?)

You can use "masking fluid", which is a latex material that you paint on.  After it dries, it peels off remarkably easily.  This is often a strategy for protecting an area while airbrushing.  It's a little fiddly, but it really works well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Gryphon said:

How do you mask parts?  With finding big I would use making tape, but a tiny piece, I don't think would adhere through the force of the primer being blasted on. (Thinks... sticky tack?)

Poster tack works well. If the part is so small you can't mask it well you can always just scrape off the paint before gluing.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I agree with the other suggestions for masking. A small dab of wood glue, blue tack or painters tape will do the trick. Don't over think it or let it slow you down.

Looks like you at least have the chin/neck to anchor the violin piece and then glue on the bow with another two anchor points. 

That a beautiful mini, btw, haven't seen it before. Please let us know how you get on with it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Neatpete said:

I agree with the other suggestions for masking. A small dab of wood glue, blue tack or painters tape will do the trick. Don't over think it or let it slow you down.

Looks like you at least have the chin/neck to anchor the violin piece and then glue on the bow with another two anchor points. 

That a beautiful mini, btw, haven't seen it before. Please let us know how you get on with it!

Thanks!

It's still down a bit on my painting queue, so it'll be a while before I get to start it.  I'll certainly post pictures once I do, though.

• Like 2