WhiteWulfe embraces the swaaaarm - Leviathan rises!

Some weekends are colourful, others are grey.  This weekend was a "no idea how the weather is out there, my nose is tucked into my airbrush booth for a good chunk of it" kind of one where a lot of flat black was involved...

20240128_190227.thumb.jpg.69b67d1de1dc13cd7ee4fa12696abe01.jpg

Couple of reasons why there's so many.  First and foremost was the good weather (ten above, in January?!?!?!?!), and secondly was I was running out of space on the workbench, so figured why not give my Tyranids a nice soapy, bubbly scrub down and start getting them prepped?

Those of you who've been around the forums a few years might recognize the Bones IV Rauthuros I won a few years ago on Reaper Live - he'll get his own thread at some point.  Yes, he's lost his majestic wings, but I also wanted to paint him with oils, and I am rather curious how that Mission Models Wild Berry would look airbrushed onto a model, doubly so with my new prep methods...

I've also decided after a few friends clue-by-four'd me with a few reminders that I bough these Tyranid models...  TO PAINT.  There wasn't really much of a consideration about getting them to look completely cohesive, as if driven from a single minded purpose, let alone the (fairly rare) chance they'll see the table with actual combat.  They may, they may not, so why not just paint them however I choose to, and just have fun during the process, eh?  It's literally why I bought them in the first place, after all!

• Like 6

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

That's a lot of minis!

Good luck and have fun painting them!

Thanks!  They'll definitely take me a lot longer to paint than they did getting primed and prepped, but that's kind of expected.  A good chunk of the Infinity models were primed because I wanted to finish off a goal I'd set for last year - getting everything in the display shelf primed and prepped.  I now have under 20 Infinity models that need such in the shelf, and if we factor in the Conquest minis as well there's less than four dozen.  Obviously the Skaven make this number jump up a fair bit, but I'm not counting them since so many of them still need to be rebased, which will probably happen once I'm done putting Leviathan together.

The minis from Leviathan?  Such is mainly due to two things.  Naturally I wanted to see a few of them primed and prepped, but I was also running out of space on the workbench, but didn't want to put unprimed minis into the display shelf, so I figured why not fix both problems at the same time, eh? ^_^

• Like 2

Quick update because I'm tired.  About half of those minis got the first layer of pre courtesy of ProAcryl Warm Grey.  Hoping to have the rest done soon, as well as get that second layer on and get some close-up pics of how the Tyranids (and two crunchy snacks) look after all is said and done...

20240201_202632.jpg

• Like 7

On 2/1/2024 at 9:44 PM, Gryphon said:

Whee!  Have fun painting them. And painting them.  And painting... what, there's MORE?!?  *mischievous grin*  they do look like fun, and you've chine up with some entertaining color schemes to play with. 

Indeed, I think I went slightly overkill on the whole "let's get the stuff in the display shelf primed and prepped", but at the same time, it's also nice to see them not be bare metal anymore...  But we aren't here to see demons or light infantry for Infinity, now are we?

20240203_215823.thumb.jpg.a1e27f629d20adeb8dc24f6714222140.jpg

Up first we have the prepped minis for my swarm.  Forgot to put the two old Termagaunts into the photo, but oh well, such is life.  Just pretend they're in there or that they're out getting some boxes of Cracker Jacks or something.

20240203_215953.thumb.jpg.0aeae9d9c0aed7b39c02abbb0570b051.jpg

And the prepped Space Wolves.  Initially the Librarian in Terminator Armour was going to be done up like a Rune Priest, but hubby wants one of those models, so, uh...  More crunchy snacks for the Tyranids, right? ^_^  

These minis aren't as bright as they appear on the screen, that's just the mobile phone punching things up for it's own unstated reasons, but it at least gives a basic idea of what's going on.

Oh yeah, figured I'd mention this bit too, in case anyone's curious.  There's a variety of reasons why I do the whole undercoating/underpainting thing, but the biggest really is having a difficulty sorting out what's what, and especially with seeing smaller details on minis, especially Infinity ones.  Doesn't matter whether it was grey, dark grey, or black primer, I found things just blended all together.  Someone suggested thsi idea to me, and after a few trials I wound up switching to the current colours, and I find that going black, to Warm Grey, to Bright Ivory helps me be able to see the various details.  It also includes a nice bonus of point out areas I can probably pay less attention to, and has a nice side perk of adding highlights and shadows to my base coats too.

20240203_195559_1x1.thumb.jpg.ff65bfa6f2b0075c238664acf2a8c1af.jpg

Some Kaplan Tactical Services models for Infinity showcasing just how much of a difference this makes for me.  Yup, it's a touch splotchier than I originally intended in this example, but it still tells me a LOT more about the models.

Hoping to have a few more of the models from the box assembled tomorrow!

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, WhiteWulfe said:

Oh yeah, figured I'd mention this bit too, in case anyone's curious.  There's a variety of reasons why I do the whole undercoating/underpainting thing, but the biggest really is having a difficulty sorting out what's what, and especially with seeing smaller details on minis, especially Infinity ones.  Doesn't matter whether it was grey, dark grey, or black primer, I found things just blended all together.  Someone suggested thsi idea to me, and after a few trials I wound up switching to the current colours, and I find that going black, to Warm Grey, to Bright Ivory helps me be able to see the various details.  It also includes a nice bonus of point out areas I can probably pay less attention to, and has a nice side perk of adding highlights and shadows to my base coats too.

I do the opposite for pretty much the same reasons, white primer with a brown wash, it helps me work out what's what and eliminates horrible, glaring white spots in recesses. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Turns out I'd forgotten the last step in my prep (Bold Titanium White) to seal it all together, but whatever.  That's been resolved now, but no pics of such.  Anyways!  Rune's decided he doesn't like a lot of the 40k aesthetic or the Space Wolves now that he's seen some of them in person, but he very much so likes the Lizardmen (fiiiine, just this one I'll call them Seraphon), so there's still opportunities there.

So now, having free reign over things and having gotten a positive remark back from the official warhammer account on Instagram to an idea I'd been contemplating, I decided screw it, let's whip out that ProAcryl Orange.  Things didn't quite go to plan.  First, it's a shade I'm kind of eh about, and secondly, ye gawds, it's a streaky mess with very low coverage.  Tried a few different thinning ratios and they just didn't really pan out, so I pulled out my Createx Wicked Opaque Pyrrole Orange.  Way better colour, and second try I had it so it wasn't really streaking, but oof, coverage was just as bad.  For the missile launcher side that's a good five coats on there, and brush marks are still readily showing through (two coats ProAcryl orange, three coats Createx Pyrrole Orange).  Okay, those two are going in the "only for the airbrush" shelf, gotcha.

Knowing it was my original idea (see previous "Space Wolves, but purple" remark), I did a few test patches with ProAcryl Imperial Purple, and oh boy, now we're talking.  Also did a few test patches with ProAcryl Bold Pyrrole Red, and it was even better.  Okay, so my initial work for basecoats for the oils will be those two then.

20240213_211028.thumb.jpg.2e8b120a2a8e3aea5880b2d77a88b701.jpg

20240213_210902.thumb.jpg.96ce9f0d2de5892c2e0016cd398e7543.jpg

^How things looked after a few tests of this and that.

20240216_161543.thumb.jpg.4a8bebeb73934d7d3f14757159c3673a.jpg

^Two layers of ProAcryl Coal Black.  Yup, there are brush stroke marks visible, but I can pretty much guarantee those are going to disappear once I get the drybrush prep done, and on top of that, they're only visible with certain angles of lighting.

Oh yeah, and the Termagaunts look a touch brighter because they got their prepwork done, so I suppose my earlier statement was a tad incorrect, but oh well :devil:

• Like 10

A couple minutes with a makeup brush later...  Streaky paint?  Failed orange paint work?  No idea what you're talking about...

20240216_165354.thumb.jpg.6acaae41ebcbf494366bb15b2c0f84ce.jpg

20240216_165401.thumb.jpg.13ba9a0b8ac6eb6a0185070152b9d9d3.jpg

20240216_165407.thumb.jpg.7019fcddfa8d2a83a2c2bc63007150b5.jpg

So...  Why the dreadnought first?

• It was on the desk
  • I've never painted a vehicle before
  • This dreadnought is neat
  • When waffling about which Space Marine thing to use as a tester this one wound up winning out because of previous points.

Or, in short, it has large spaces to work with, so I can try out a few things, and can also do OPR work later on (oil paint rendering).  Arguably there's also the whole bit about it being the biggest, stompiest Space Marine unit in the box, and I've a thing for mechs and whatnot...

• Like 11

1 minute ago, Humansquish said:

Most orange paint I've tried has had bad coverage with streaking issues. Reapers Explosion Orange has been the best I've ran into.

That seems to be an overall consensus from others.  It was just so surprising to me, since I've had decent coverage (on smaller things) with various Reaper Bones and HD oranges, as well as even Vallejo Game Color (old formula) bottles.  That and ProAcryl is supposedly a similar consistency and behaviour throughout the range, or so the marketing goes.  Oh well, lesson learnt, next time I'll mask and get the airbrush out.

~~~

One layer of ProAcryl Royal Purple (that I've been calling Imperial Purple, oops) later...

20240216_182746.thumb.jpg.f8cabae5e0afbdcb00e8a27037ca0fb0.jpg

20240216_182754.thumb.jpg.9537e3ce72efc42e4df2deae83c34797.jpg

20240216_182800.thumb.jpg.5d956165c36f9f562f9fc636363c91fc.jpg

I'm still debating between a few ideas for what colours will go where, but with how things are looking I do suspect purple is definitely going to be a core colour...

• Like 9

Rune (aka hubby) asked me if I could do up a purple that leaned more into blue, and after a few test mixes we came up with a 5:1 mix of ProAcryl Royal Purple and Blue....  Since I had the paint mixed up already, I figured I might as well see what it looks like on a model and not just paper towel...

20240217_084521.thumb.jpg.ecb5ec1370e00bc559b14b840e218848.jpg

20240217_084532.thumb.jpg.18841e9ca97921926609956ee8478c08.jpg

Happy with how that one turned out, I mixed up a 6:1 mix of the same two colours, and started applying that to the dreadnought...

20240217_084444.thumb.jpg.51e9660ae0f3eb2ecafac79549192096.jpg

20240217_084454.thumb.jpg.8d5a5a8c5d5685ab18d6bb42291a8c7b.jpg

20240217_084503.thumb.jpg.ee445ec0404052beb3011affeebe2012.jpg

Ran out of paint right when I finished the upper torso, and for some reason a part of me is almost tempted to keep the two-tone look, but perhaps push the legs even further towards red (or pink).  Thoughts?

• Like 9

I think the two tone look is neat. 

Besides "an oil painting technique", what is oil paint rendering/OPR?

And are Testors paints considered decent oil paints?  Or what brand(s) do you use?

I don't think me using oils is a good idea with an inquisitive two year old running around, but kids grow up eventually...

• Like 1