Eternally trying metallics...

R2ED

6 hours ago, R2ED said:

@Poilu_1914first, thanks for all the kudos you just posted. Second regarding the armor, what I need to learn is damaged armor. I've seen the sponge and chipping stuff, and i want to learn how. What's tough is putting all the time to make it look nice, just to damage it up I feel like there should be a process to not go to all the detail is damage is the outcome, but all the videos I've watched demonstrate a perfect paint job and then the damage is applied. 

Oh well, something to aim for.  For now I'm really appreciative of the comments and feedback on this one.

Have you looked through Monument Hobbies paint tutorials?  They've only recently started adding to it again, but I got a lot of mileage out of #27, which is a quick and dirty approach to underpainting for aged metals. That could solve part of the time problem, as you can get an aged metal really quick (like, 10 minutes, I'm not kidding!) and then put your solid efforts into the chips, dings and glimmers.

https://monumenthobbies.com/blogs/methodologies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

On 1/18/2024 at 7:17 AM, R2ED said:

@BadgersinMeadowsthe gold armor is not a recipe I would recommend. I think I can brighten it up more next time. 

Base was VMC Gold w a little brown ink added.

Then added a little orange ink to the raised or exposed areas.

Then went back with gold to touch highlights. 

The issue is the orange tinted the gold too much and I couldn't seem to get it back. I think it would have been better to go with adding steel or silver to the gold and highlighting with that to bring the color up.

It might not be a great gold (I agree with the idea of highlighting with either silver or a silver/gold blend for that), but it looks to me like an excellent bronze or brass combo. 

• Thanks 1