Another peek behind the curtain...

• Reaper User

Apologies, I tend to lurk on Discord more than on our forum so here's a little something something I haven't shared with them:

VIGILANT SENTRY
Conjuration

Caster & Level: Wiz 6

Components: I, G, M

Casting Time: 1 Action

Initiative: 1d10

Duration: 4 hours

Range: 6 paces (3 pace cube)

Saving Throw: None

The caster summons an invisible, intangible sentry to an unoccupied space. The sentry is visible to the caster. The sentry cannot be harmed, charmed, swayed, manipulated, maneuvered against, or forced to make a Save; it is not a creature and does not occupy the space it was summoned to. Any creature coming within 6 paces of the sentry without speaking the password or making a gesture provokes the sentry setting off a loud, sharp barking like a startled hound. The sentry sees invisible creatures and objects as well as the Ethereal. The sentry ignores illusions and effects.

At the start of each of the caster’s turns, the sentry attacks any one creature hostile to the caster within the 3 pace cube. The sentry cannot take opportunity attacks. The sentry uses the caster’s melee Spellcasting Attack Bonus to make a magical bite attack, on a hit, 4d8 hp magical piercing damage is inflicted.

The caster can dismiss the sentry as an Action or if they move more than 20 paces away from it.

Scaling: +1 Spell Point per +1 sentry

+1 Spell Point increasing Damage +1d8 hp piercing

+1 Spell Point sentry detects Tiny-sized or larger creatures

+1 Spell Point increasing Duration +4 hours

+1 Spell Point increasing Range +6 paces

+1 Spell Point increasing sentry’s detection Range +6 paces

+2 Spell Point increasing cube area +3 paces

Material Components: leather thong, a silver whistle, and a sliver of bone (which is expended)

• Like 2

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the scaling modifiers says that the sentry will detect Tiny-sized or larger, but the basic spell description says "Any creature" sets it off, with no size restrictions.  Unless I missed something there, that modifier would seem to do nothing.

• Like 1

• Reaper User
22 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

One of the scaling modifiers says that the sentry will detect Tiny-sized or larger, but the basic spell description says "Any creature" sets it off, with no size restrictions.  Unless I missed something there, that modifier would seem to do nothing.

Omitted a chunk of phrase: "any hostile, Small-sized or larger creature..."

It's an interesting design question... Small-sized omits Tiny-sized and smaller creatures (diminutive and fine being smaller than tiny) which means most insects and whatnot as well as mites, jermlaine, etc.

5e only has Tiny, anything smaller than Small is tiny. Which may be the direction we ultimately go. Not sure yet.

Stay toon'd!

>>ReaperWolf

Edited by ReaperWolf
  • Like 2

On 1/20/2024 at 10:20 AM, ReaperWolf said:

Omitted a chunk of phrase: "any hostile, Small-sized or larger creature..."

That certainly clarifies in terms of size, though if tiny includes insects the alarm should go off frequently.  Having smaller categories would be useful in that regard.  Which, I suppose, is why "hostile" is there, but that term raises even more questions.  If someone is merely trying to sneak past the caster, is that hostile?  What if the approaching creature is a threat, but is unaware the caster is even there?  If the party has hired someone who intends to double-cross them, does that trigger the alarm?  Certainly that person is hostile, but hiding that fact.   

• Like 1

• Reaper User
On 1/22/2024 at 1:39 PM, GoldenPiggy said:

That certainly clarifies in terms of size, though if tiny includes insects the alarm should go off frequently.  Having smaller categories would be useful in that regard.  Which, I suppose, is why "hostile" is there, but that term raises even more questions.  If someone is merely trying to sneak past the caster, is that hostile?  What if the approaching creature is a threat, but is unaware the caster is even there?  If the party has hired someone who intends to double-cross them, does that trigger the alarm?  Certainly that person is hostile, but hiding that fact.   

The important thing to remember is this: the GM can make the call.

If an assassin sneaks up on the caster, then they are hostile. If they're sneaking up to steal, that's hostile (albeit gray area territory).

As for different sizes, for now we're still using Diminutive and Fine for the very reasons you mention.

I don't want caster losing sleep as the sentinel takes a swing as every mosquito but I do want it to be the ultimate bug zapper to stirges.

There are some pretty small critters out there but they should be the exception not the rule. Down to tiny size is about the rational limit.

>>ReaperWolf

• Like 2

On 1/23/2024 at 12:49 PM, ReaperWolf said:

I don't want caster losing sleep as the sentinel takes a swing as every mosquito but I do want it to be the ultimate bug zapper to stirges.

On the other hand, a spell that kills every mosquito (preferably without waking the caster) would also be a useful spell, though in a different way.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, GoldenPiggy said:

On the other hand, a spell that kills every mosquito (preferably without waking the caster) would also be a useful spell, though in a different way.

"I cast Bug-zapper!"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1