where to get arabic type sand??

haldir

Not sure where to ask this but

I want to base my desert type mini with actual Arabic type sand & I can't seem to find any or I have no idea where to look

any ideas??

I guess I could color some snow I have, but how would I go about that, what's a good color for Sand (other than plain yellow ::): )

Randy M

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Um, last I checked, sand was sand. Granted there are various colors of sand that occur naturally. Are you looking more for a specific color? Sand also occurs in varying grain sizes, so does it possibly refer to a grain size? If you can throw some info at me as to color and grain size I can probably give you an idea of where to look for the stuff.

I guess when I say arabic/middle eastern sand vs the rocky gritty (dirty you might say) sand we have here in Eastern OR, there is a difference. More or less it is grit size & color, I would like to find stuff you see say Sahara dunes & such, where here it's more rocky brownish type sand, more or less dirt. I tried gettin some from a makeshift "beach" volleyball area that was set up awile back, but the sand was gritty compare to what I wanted.

I was at Micheal's over in Boise one time & they had some craft sand, but they didn't have any white, so that might work, just really don't know how I could go about coloring it (other than just puttin paint on it, not sure if that would make it look like what I want or not.

Randy M

I was at Micheal's over in Boise one time & they had some craft sand, but they didn't have any white, so that might work, just really don't know how I could go about coloring it (other than just puttin paint on it, not sure if that would make it look like what I want or not.

Another option, if you are looking for a very fine grain, use table salt (not Kosher salt the crystals are too large - although much better for cooking).

For coloring, you can probably do the same for chalk that you can with salt. Find a piece of chalk that matches the color you want. Rub the chalk into the pile of sand/salt. The chalk will crumble some and add color to the material without changing its texture.

I used to do this when I was a kid for craft projects at day care. We'd get mason jars and do sand art with all kinds of funky colored striations. Craft store might also carry some of the colored sand for this purpose as well.

A rather wasteful source of sand are those tape dispensers Scotch makes for use in offices all around the world. You know, those black plastic ones that are heavy enough to clock your boss in the head with?.

You just have to open one of them, they are weighed down with coral sand. Thing is, to open it, you have to break it, and then again, the particle size is that of coral sand, like, say, that from Acapulco.

Real fine sand would be like that of Cancun (think white, caribbean sand).

One sand option (dunno whether it applies here or not) is coral sand. I started using this waaay back (showing my age) because they used to use it in White Dwarf. Coral sand is sharper and squarer than something like river sand. I much prefer it. Hopefully I'll get around to finishing a mini one day and folks will be able to see it. Guess I could post something that's just partly done to that end.