Backdrop Books 2 KS [ENDS TODAY 5PM GMT] A3, Winter & Skies Books Unlocked ★ Jon Hodgson

Annie

BACKDROPS 2: BACKDROPS BOOGALOO!

>> SIGN UP HERE  <<

This launches on TUESDAY, that's Tuesday 30th January - very soon indeed!

I am REALLY chuffed to be working the fantastic artist Jon Hodgson on these again. They're by him aka Handiwork Games, but I'm on board to assist with various bits and bobs of the campaign. Second brains are always handy. I help!

For the Reaper thread of the previous campaign to see how that went, click here

422341396_776255431188266_310822544048458686_n.thumb.jpg.99d658170ef9b78c95ef3d07ba6e6dbd.jpg

422930153_777577441056065_2443887408160114945_n.thumb.jpg.f2aa814b3786b14d1edf19f3417705ac.jpg

422304909_776255461188263_1843269404199692990_n.thumb.jpg.1fbd3868fef71c4e18c5d7eca3a48290.jpg

The first two books will be RUINS AND TUNNELS - one sci fi, one fantasy, as well as the existing books in A3 size.

If the campaign goes as wild as the last one, Jon has been frantically painting on some examples of other books we can add as stretch goals, including WINTER and CLOUDS. And perhaps those in A3 too?

WHAT ARE THEY?

Last year, after an enthusiastic chat at UK Games Expo and doing the spiderman meme of "wait, we're the same!" the idea formed to turn some of Jon's backdrop art into a published book, so everybody had access to them in high quality print.

We put together a short Kickstarter on a hope and a dream, and IT WENT WILD. The phonecalls were mostly going "OH MY WORD THEY'VE SMASHED ANOTHER STRETCH GOAL WHAT DO WE DO!" and so the SECOND book came about - Sci Fi Designs.

Since then, they've only gained and gained in popularity and we realised there are SO MANY different themes we can do. We being Jon doing the actual work and me saying "Hey this could be cool." TEAMWORK!

You can buy these NOW from the Bad Squiddo Games shop, also Handiwork Games, the latter is the only place you can purchase the commercial license if you wish to use these...commercially!

1898672452_backdropbooks.thumb.png.722486a0256590769cf5868f860f6081.png

HOW DO YOU USE THEM?

You simply pop them behind your minis and take a photo! It helps make your minis look cooler, and it can be as simple as that, or a tool for more elaborate scene making. During the last campaign I found a new passion for photographing miniatures so I am hoping to share this with you over the next week - what I have learnt along the way and top tips and tricks.

Here is one of Jon's example pics, expect to see lots more like this. Literally a hill, a book,, the mini, and some blocks of wood (it can be anything, I use books!) He's written a series of tutorials on how to make a photo rock and taking the photos. Click here for them. and I made a nice little video with some tips here.

408020954_745812510899225_3949877389405703877_n.jpg.f38845888b511235ec8fbf1b7330d122.jpg

Cheers all!

Annie (Bad Squiddo Games owner!)

Edited by Annie
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In A3 for the previous ones?  Niiiiiiiiice!  That was one of my biggest requests! 

Any chance at a stretch goal for A3 for these ones too? 

Commercial license add-ons available for these books too I presume? 

Hi Annie:

I posted this on the chat, but I could see it getting lost so I'll reiterate here.  First off, I love the books, I use them for virtually every mini picture I take.

I'd really like it if they had a splash page with thumbnails of all the minis, ideally on the back cover (you know, like a calendar).  I often go to my painting booth with a freshly finished mini, and I have to page through every page of both books to figure out which would look best.  In some cases, it's more of a color thing, to where just holding the mini up against a thumbnail will make 90% of the decision. 

Anyways, I was hoping for that with the new ones, and maybe some retro single pagers for the two previously issued books.

Good luck, I can't wait to see the new paintings.  

• Thanks 1

WhiteWulfe - yes! A4 can still cover A LOT but there's definitely enough demand and use for A3. Stretch goals WILL have the new books in A3, so if we get there (yesssss) then you can either upgrade to A3 or add in A3 as well, whatever you prefer. They're going to be more to ship is the downside, but we're working on getting some quotes to figure out the best option. You can buy the license/s as part of the KS or afterwards from Handiwork Games. You need one for each book BUT (95% sure) you won't for the same book in different sizes. So if you have the A4 fantasy book and commercial license, you won't need to buy it again to use the A3, you're already set.

Count Urlik- That is a really good idea, I'll chat to Jon about it, but it could be that that's a page of free real estate that could be another backdrop, worth a discussion though for sure. Perhaps A4 singles for them all, then you could put them together to flip through when there's inevitably a million books 😄 Only a perhaps though!

-----

Having such a big catalogue to choose from, I decided this morning to focus just on the same background, and the Krautcover Soil of Sparta (my favourite). Simple changes like slightly different lighting can change the feel of the scene.

All the minis shown are from Bad Squiddo Games, Rubble City from Fenris, bits and bobs by Bad Squiddo, and other bits of terrain made by berlintuesday.

These backdrops work by simply putting the model in front of them, or even better - on a little plinth, but I like to see where I can push it by making whole scenes. And it's a great excuse to show off some Bad Squiddo minis!

hg 4 pics small .jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I just love the instant mood that it adds with virtually no extra effort (outside of picking the backdrop...).  Here's four not so great minis (two are unbased gaming minis) from just the last few weeks that were very much elevated by the existing paintings:

IMG_2609.jpeg.2e841993f2b72b1ca4ae7448808329b2.jpeg

IMG_2592.jpeg.2232ebc655f3cda467afb5d60cce3481.jpeg

IMG_2548.jpeg.0c7d4c3853683bbccfee878a79de777d.jpeg

IMG_2593.jpeg.e8778e4283ba21f2bf928c95db661556.jpeg

• Like 5

Count Urlik - thanks for sharing them, they look great and I love how they put them in a bit of context and draw the eye, without taking centre stage, which of course should be the mini!

---

I made this scene to reflect me having a break between all the million things I have to do before Vapnartak! (show next Sunday in York)

That sitting down ATS lady is so versatile, she's seen some things, for sure.

hg cave cuppa small.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hello! It's entirely on topic 😄 It'll be one license per book, but that covers the same book in A4 and A3. Jon will word it better 😄 The answer to your question is one.

----

launches tomorrow, ahhhhhhhh!

Here's a short video that shows off some of the new ones, I've had more land since then so I'll show them off in the next couple days, but also get Jon to put them all together in smaller images.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPn4o0PTKco&t=1s

and a peek of one of the new ruins from the fantasy ruins book

All the minis I'm posting are Bad Squiddo Games, and the scenics here are Fenris Games Rubble City.

2038630789_hgbannerbearer.thumb.jpg.c965eb1f03af6aa7eec78a735ce1ad23.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Looking forward to this one. Missed the first campaign. Love the idea. Some miniatures, a little terrain and those backgrounds and I can create nice pictures that tell a whole story. Personally I‘d love some gloomy/ eerie/dark backgrounds too. Maybe in campaign 3 😉 

• Like 1

Yay we're funded! Hooray! Thank you!

I'm with you Divaricatus, as a big fan of ghouls and undead 😄 There are some good spooky ones in the first fantasy book though as a heads up.

LINKY

249862246_hg59.thumb.jpg.9b41289bc964601b0d6718528ec03318.jpg

• Like 2

Don't mind my celebrating that A3 for all four books will be available soon - apparently it's available now as an add-on, and will be available as a pledge UK morning tomorrow. 

So happy for that, even if Mr Wallet is grumbling a little... 

• Like 1

Cheers Whitewolf, been nice seeing your name pop up around!

----

WELL THAT ESCALATED! Thank you!

From Jon:

"We're racing through those stretch goals! Thank you so much for your support!

A lot has happened in the campaign, but I don't want to bombard you with updates on every little detail, so we'll keep it to one a day!

Last night we unlocked the two new books - Fantasy Ruins and Tunnels, and Sci-fi Ruins and Interiors - in A3 size. You can add those onto your existing pledge, or get a pledge level for just those books.

The Winter Backdrops Book is also unlocked, and maxed out as I'm typing this! You can now add it to your pledge as an Add On, or pledge for it on its own. I think it's going to become a fast favourite for the sheer moodiness and story it brings.

We're looking at Winter in A3! Exciting times!"

Here's one of Jon's pics, i love the little fire in the barrow
b416eef4e7ad93f040dbd47d161ffbfc_original.jpg.631901bf2f4cb85ebab4a62fbd8a6872.jpg

and a couple of mine! I've been taking most of these on my phone to show how it can be done without anything too fancy

1500588181_hgamazonsnowarchcopy.thumb.jpg.39744e93cfeae69b1b90c54129f887c4.jpg

957388643_hgWINTERBRIDEcopy.thumb.jpg.74486e551a8c13df1a87951bc37f30fb.jpgIf you have the two

If you have the existing books, I'd love to see more of what you've been doing with them, please do post below,

I get hold of some A3 test prints tomorrow so I can't wait to muck about with those, and show you the scale comparison and whatnot.

link to Kickstarter: [url]https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/jonhodgsonmaptiles2/jon-hodgson-backdrops-two-backdrops-boogaloo[/url]

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1