Getting to Know You February 2024

Another month, another GTKY post.

February.  It's cold, it's dark, it's generally kind of crappy, at least up here.  At least it is short, although this year not so much....

Anyway, I'll be posting daily questions that you can feel free to answer, or not, as you like.

I "should" get something posted in the morning, so by 11 am Eastern.  And I'll like post individual questions on the weekends since is February....I'm not likely to be going far from home...

I'll be back in a bit, once I get to work, with the first question.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

20 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 1st: Where do you do your best "random" thinking?
( By this I mean thinking on whatever pops into mind, as opposed to when you are focused on a task).

Anywhere I'm alone that is peaceful and quiet.

Sometimes also in a vehicle that I'm riding in, but not operating.

• Like 9

39 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

( By this I mean thinking on whatever pops into mind, as opposed to when you are focused on a task).

Don't know about the best (shower? while driving?), but my worst random thinking always happens when I'm at work or should be focused on a task.

Like yesterday for some reason my mind wanted to know right now what the spikes on cat tongues are made of. Turns out it's keratin. Same thing as hair and fingernails.

Stupid ADHD brain.

Edited by Cranky Dog
  • Like 8
  • Haha 3

39 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I have for years taken the approach to "load info" into my brain, so to speak, about a problem, and then stop thinking directly about it.  Then usually sometime later while doing a simple activity the pieces come together, on a drive, washing the dishes, taking a walk.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

While doing dishes or when I'm laying in bed dozing off.  Just let the brain do it's thing and sometimes, magic happens.  

• Like 10

Generally, while I'm falling asleep. Do I usually remember what these best things are if I don't write them down right then? No.

• Like 10

While I'm on long drives or sometimes when I'm painting. I've come up with a number of campaign scenarios, plot hooks, and even work ideas while doing those things.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Generally while relaxing in my recliner.

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

It really does depend on the day thanks to ADHD braaaaaaaains, but the most practical version of this tends to happen when I'm painting...  Even if I'd argue it's not me thinking, and just rolling with things. 

• Like 9

3 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Often when I'm alone.

Too many times just before I fall asleep..

• Like 9

Generally when I'm lazing around.  

• Like 9

Probably when I am trying, unsuccessfully, to go to sleep. My mind seems to come alive whenever it should be shutting down.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

It’s random !!  (It could happen anywhere.)

Most recently in the chair, in front of the computer, while half-asleep, dreaming. 

• Like 9

For me, the ideas often come during a walk, recovering from a workout, lying bed or doing something really monotonous, like sanding boards.  I really wish I could control or harness it, but I feel like the harder you try, the harder it gets!

• Like 8