Getting to Know You February 2024

49 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Since I forgot to get back on an answer my own question, I mostly use #11 x-actos too.  But the night before I was cutting mdf landing craft pieces and kept snapping the tips off, so I was wondering what else is out there.

Questions for February 11th: Today the non-round ball throwing portion of the sports world is excited about some sort of bowl thing.  So:

1)  What is your favorite type of bowl?  And do you have a specific favorite? (this, of course, covers all definitions for bowl)

I'll go with the nice wooden bowl my parents have that was a gift from their New Zealand host, who was a very good sport, because we got AMAZING just after winter weather when we were there, and he got, uh...  Canadian Winter.  Turns out you can fit three military parkas on top of each other with enough determination!  Sadly I forgot the name of the wood, but it's one native to New Zealand, and it's downright gorgeous.

49 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

2) The question everyone wants to know the answer to, will Taylor Swift be in the Deadpool 3 trailer ?

I wouldn't be surprised if Deadpool himself showed up and rocked the stage with her.  But I'm not really into sportsball.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

56 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Since I forgot to get back on an answer my own question, I mostly use #11 x-actos too.  But the night before I was cutting mdf landing craft pieces and kept snapping the tips off, so I was wondering what else is out there.

Questions for February 11th: Today the non-round ball throwing portion of the sports world is excited about some sort of bowl thing.  So:

1)  What is your favorite type of bowl?  And do you have a specific favorite? (this, of course, covers all definitions for bowl)

and

2) The question everyone wants to know the answer to, will Taylor Swift be in the Deadpool 3 trailer ?

1) I'm not sure, but while searching I found Bowl Weevil bowling lanes, and that's quickly moving toward the top of the list.

2) Yes, all the marketing points in that direction.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

1) Tupperware mixing bowls.  We have 1, 2, 3, and really big (6?) quart sizes.  They all fit in the dishwasher.  They have lids. I require the really big ones for large batches of cookies, like the ones I took to reapercon, for my stuffing recipe I don't know how to make a smaller batch of, and they'll fit a gallon batch of tapioca which dad has thankfully learned to make for himself because I hate tapioca. One gallon of tapioca generally disappears in 3 days or less. 

2) I'll get back to you after I watch the first two Deadpool movies, which might be sometime this decade. I do know he's trouble, and since he has regeneration abilities maybe he feels 22. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

1: Toss-up.  I liked West Seattle Bowl the one time I was there, and I loved Lower Columbia Bowl as a kid.  That said, a poke bowl is always a treat.  As a teen, I might have gone for a different bowl, but I'm all grown up and responsible now.

2: Given that Taylor Swift is everywhere, all the time, and a Deadpool 3 trailer will be somewhere, sometime, I have to assume the answer is yes.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

1) WE have what we call plate bowls, but googling says they are probably rim soup bowl, which I quite like.  They are good for soup, good for spaghetti or alfredo, good for lots of things. They are all identical so no favorite there, but we do have these old plastic bowls we've had since the kids were little.  Of the larger of the two sizes we have , the blue one is my favorite bowl.  Mostly because we pretty much only use those for ice cream these days......

2)  If the marketing wonder twins (Reynolds and Swift) activate and combine their powers in Deadpool 3 to save the MCU, it could be a ridiculously high grossing movie......  so probably yes.

• Like 7

10 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

What very odd questions.  I have no particular favorite kind of bowl, and I have no idea where Taylor Swift might show up.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:49 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 10th: Tool Time.  What type of blades are your go to style(s) for hobbying?  Do you stick with one type or have various for different tasks?

I use those snap off knives. My X-Acto handles have been repurposed to holding miniatures I'm painting or sculpting.

17 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

Cereal or soup bowls; Melissa has a variety of Nightmare Before Christmas & Halloween bowls that I am fond of.

Other than thinking she is cute, I know nothing about Taylor (deaf folk generally aren't interested in music) & I am unfamiliar with Deadpool.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 8:12 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 8th: what is your favorite fungus?  

(This could be favorite looking, favorite tasting, favorite for assorted medicinal purposes, etc)

broccoliake

On 2/9/2024 at 8:15 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 9th:  Happy Friday!   When playing games involving dice,  do you consider yourself lucky, unlucky, average, streaky, cursed, etc?

( This question brought to you by the combined 7 times I rolled a 1 on a d6 while firing the main guns on my 2 Tiger I's I ran last night ...one hit the entire 6 turn game, and it failed do damage the target, since I needed to roll a 3+ to damage....)

For the most part Average.  I have noticed that my dice rolling became less successful after the birth of my son.  It seems he has absorbed the lost luck of his old man, because he is uncannily luck.  It sometime is quite discouraging to play dice heavy games with him.\

On 2/10/2024 at 9:49 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 10th: Tool Time.  What type of blades are your go to style(s) for hobbying?  Do you stick with one type or have various for different tasks?

Different tools for different jobs.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

1) A bowl full of Chili, or New England Clam Chowder, or Oyster Stew or Ham, Green Beans and Potatoes.

2) God I hope not.  Nothing against the lady but she has pervaded to far into all current popular culture. 

Edited by chaosscorpion
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 7:18 PM, SparrowMarie said:

I have several sizes of blades but they are generally x-acto blades. I have tried flash master blades but since the cutting edge is opposite that of an x-acto blade I kept bending them too much and bending them out of shape to the point of uselessness.

I had high hopes for those types of blades as well. I just couldn't get pass the backwards shape of them (not to mention they really were all that great of blades to begin with).

On 2/11/2024 at 7:45 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

and

1) Bowl of homemade chili is my preferred bowl. As far as sports-"bowls" go, probably Auzten Stadium in Eugene, OR. Fantastic stadium, great acoustics & not a bad seat in the house.

2) I for one hope not. It's bad enough you can't watch the NFL anymore without some sorta reference to her now. I'm not a hater, but when something gets constantly shoved in your face when you don't want it to be, yah it gets old after awhile. Kinda like Mahomie & Mr Swift aka Kelce in every commercial during a NFL game. Just. Gets. Old.

On 2/11/2024 at 8:34 AM, Chaoswolf said:

Why do you  like them? Do they work better somehow? Or is it simply a matter of being able to differentiate the tool for it's intended job?

While the colors are very nice as using hobby tools that have been used with resin printing for other things is a bad idea, I just like the shape over a standard x=acto handle. It fits my big monkey-paw hands & fingers.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

7 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 12th:  sorry, it's a Monday.....   Do you put sleeves on the cards for any of your board games?

(Today's question brought to you by Marvel Zombies!, which requires 128 41x63mm and 12 70x110mm sleeves)

I guess it depends on the game. Recently I did sleeve up Nord Games Crit (Success & Fail & Fate) decks with different sleeve colors (due to severity of the results on the cards). As I knew I was going to be using those weekly during my FLGS D&D game. I also sleeved up the cards in the Dragonbane rpg box set.

Now cards for say, Solitaire or other traditional boards games probably a no.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 12th:  sorry, it's a Monday.....   Do you put sleeves on the cards for any of your board games?

(Today's question brought to you by Marvel Zombies!, which requires 128 41x63mm and 12 70x110mm sleeves)

Nope

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I really don’t have any board games that also have cards.  I suppose Monopoly has cards.  Never considered giving those sleeves; not sure I still have the Monopoly set.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Not since Star Wars Minis died.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1