Getting to Know You February 2024

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 12th:  sorry, it's a Monday.....   Do you put sleeves on the cards for any of your board games?

(Today's question brought to you by Marvel Zombies!, which requires 128 41x63mm and 12 70x110mm sleeves)

I haven't until now.  I mean, when I backed the two latest Corvus Belli games (Infinity Defiance and TAG Raid) both came with card sleeves at the pledge level I took, but I haven't gotten around to actually playing those yet.

And I started using card sleeves for Star Wars Legion a few years ago , since they are out on the tabletop with the minis.

But I'm looking at taking Marvel Zombies! in to the store to play so I figured I'd should sleeve up.  Nice that there are online resources that quickly tell you exactly what sleeves you need, like BGG.

• Like 6

• Replies 506
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 12th:  sorry, it's a Monday.....   Do you put sleeves on the cards for any of your board games?

(Today's question brought to you by Marvel Zombies!, which requires 128 41x63mm and 12 70x110mm sleeves)

No, at least not yet. We're pretty good about being careful when using them (no Cheetos fingers!). 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I pass; re, I don't play card games.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Generally I do, although I need to find nicer ones because the ones we used for Clank are surprisingly slippery... But they were the right price, and size too... 

• Like 7

On 2/11/2024 at 9:45 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Questions for February 11th: Today the non-round ball throwing portion of the sports world is excited about some sort of bowl thing.  So:

1)  What is your favorite type of bowl?  And do you have a specific favorite? (this, of course, covers all definitions for bowl)

Any bowl filled with food is a good bowl. Nacho, sundae, popcorn, soup, etc.

2) The question everyone wants to know the answer to, will Taylor Swift be in the Deadpool 3 trailer ?

The question I didn't know I wanted.

I don't mind the occasional cameo.

6 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

I do not. I'm careful with my stuff (excluding that time I had flood damage where even sleeves wouldn't have been enough).

Though I did get sleeves for spell cards for a campaign that fell through. So I still got them, unused.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

On 2/10/2024 at 12:15 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 9th:  Happy Friday!   When playing games involving dice,  do you consider yourself lucky, unlucky, average, streaky, cursed, etc?

( This question brought to you by the combined 7 times I rolled a 1 on a d6 while firing the main guns on my 2 Tiger I's I ran last night ..... one hit the entire 6 turn game, and it failed do damage the target, since I needed to roll a 3+ to damage...... )

Depends on the dice I'm using.

small D10s, lucky average - aka I roll high when needed and low when needed

regular D10s , unlucky

small (10mm) D6s, average

regular (12mm) D6s, average

larger D6s, unlucky

D6s with a picture on them (regardless of whether it is on a 1 or a 6), cursed

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Absolutely do for my M;tG Commander decks, not only do they make it easier to shuffle, they also keep anyone's grubby little jamhands from ruining a $200 card, including my own.

Edited by Pezler the Polychromatic
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Board games, no.  

I play a possibly unique rpg called dragon storm, which instead of character sheets and 40 books, all the rules and abilities are printed on mtg size cards.  You want a lightning bolt? You buy a lightning bolt card with your xp, and there's some art and everything you need to know as far as damage rolls, timing, recharging, etc is in the card text.  The designers are friends, and understand you might not be able to afford 20 lightning bolts for a high power character, or to keep 5 characters put together at once, so proxies are allowed.  We just ask you have a real copy somewhere. So I sleeve my rpg characters. 

• Like 7

8 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Yes, if we can find sleeves for it they will get sleeved.

• Like 8

15 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Nope.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Since I forgot to get back on an answer my own question, I mostly use #11 x-actos too.  But the night before I was cutting mdf landing craft pieces and kept snapping the tips off, so I was wondering what else is out there.

Questions for February 11th: Today the non-round ball throwing portion of the sports world is excited about some sort of bowl thing.  So:

1)  What is your favorite type of bowl?  And do you have a specific favorite? (this, of course, covers all definitions for bowl)

and

2) The question everyone wants to know the answer to, will Taylor Swift be in the Deadpool 3 trailer ?

1) Any bowl that has rice and some sort of Asian-themed toppings on it.  

2) 🤷‍♂️

23 hours ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

It depends on the game and how heavily the cards are used or if it's something I play with my kids at the dinner table as part of our "God Damned Family Dinners" as they are lovingly referred to when we force the children to pay attention to their dear family over a meal and sometimes an accompanying board game.  

I have sleeved Kingdom Death and my Xwing-related cards which has amounted to an obscene amount of tiny little plastic baggies...  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/9/2024 at 8:15 AM, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 9th:  Happy Friday!   When playing games involving dice,  do you consider yourself lucky, unlucky, average, streaky, cursed, etc?

( This question brought to you by the combined 7 times I rolled a 1 on a d6 while firing the main guns on my 2 Tiger I's I ran last night ..... one hit the entire 6 turn game, and it failed do damage the target, since I needed to roll a 3+ to damage...... )

Well...  I have rolled so badly in 40K games that my opponents have let me reroll because statistically it should have been impossible to roll as badly as I repeatedly did.  A handful of D6s with all 1s and a single 2 has become knowns as a "Polished Rahz".  😒 

I managed OK with d20s when DMing but then again, you roll so many of them you eventually get to mash a PC properly.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Question for February 13th: What is you favorite miniatures material to work with in terms of prepping and assembly?  

( Pewter, lead, hard plastic, soft plastic, cast resin, siocast, 3D printed resin, 3D printed filament, sculpting putties, marble, wood, marshmallow, cheese, etc.... )

8 minutes ago, Rahz said:

Well...  I have rolled so badly in 40K games that my opponents have let me reroll because statistically it should have been impossible to roll as badly as I repeatedly did.  A handful of D6s with all 1s and a single 2 has become knowns as a "Polished Rahz".  😒 

For my D&D group, a 3 on a d20 has been known as a "natural Mike" for a decade or more, since one of our players has a gift for rolling 3s.

• Like 9

20 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Question for February 13th: What is you favorite miniatures material to work with in terms of prepping and assembly?  

( Pewter, lead, hard plastic, soft plastic, cast resin, siocast, 3D printed resin, 3D printed filament, sculpting putties, marble, wood, marshmallow, cheese, etc.... )

I don't have a particular preference; all materials have positives and negatives, it's just a matter or getting to know whjat they are.

I'll go with plastic, as I like doing conversions and it's generally easier to cut it than metal.

Cheese is an interesting idea, though. You can eat the orcs after you've killed them. ::D:

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Jasper_the_2nd said:

Why do I suddenly want to see one of the sculptors Reaper regularly works with try and pull off sculpting with marshmallow? 

This one's a tough call.  I do love my metal miniatures, but as they start getting larger it becomes problematic to keep together (aka you need to do more work).  On the flipside, they're way more fun to paint than classic Bones.  No opinion on Bones Black due to lack of experience painting it, but I sure don't like doing prep work on most Bones minis in general. 

Arguably my favourite is resin, especially properly poured resin.  High amount of detail, and some of the models I like are only available as such. 

Styrene is a close second though, given just how much one can do with it, and most importantly, Tamiya Extra Thin works on it! 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1