Food Chain; RCon 2024 Diorama Entry (BHAG Project)

Well, now that the contracts are signed and the hotel block goes live today, it is time to start thinking about a ReaperCon 2024 entry.  Who am I kidding, I have actually been thinking on this one for at least a month already.  Normally, I choose a model that I have sculpted for Reaper or DS and paint it for the Open Category, but not this year.  This year, I want to try my hand at a wholly different category: Diorama!

The Scene

A stag of the scrub lands is out one late morning eating grass, blissfully unaware or the danger in the skies above. Suddenly he hears a whoosh of air and a sudden, sharp pain in his side and a blow that nocks him off his feet to the ground. He struggles, but the venom acts fast, paralyzing him.  The wyvern that just attacked settles on his body, alighting there in triumph bugling her success for all to hear, for she is master of this land, a top predator in her realm...or is she.  She has taken her prey too close to the shifting sands and her calls have attracted the true lord of this land.  Just as she starts to eat, the sands next to her explode upward.  Crouching down guarding her prey, she gazes upward into the gaping maw of the great worm...

The Players:

Celestial Stag by Jason Wiebe

image.png.030fe1b882de051dfe569e0442889832.png

Wyvern by Julie Guthrie

image.png.6a0f1fd2a2ea8327ce8e32abd366b24f.png

Goremaw, Great Worm by Bobby Jackson

image.png.802e43b0dba62eb6376ecdc2626e5ccb.png

Ideation

So I first starting thinking on this several years ago when I first got that wyvern in a Bones fulfillment box (can't remember which Bones KS); it has such a unique pose.  It is obviously not looking at character level creatures.  It's posture seems to be scared and looing up at something above it.  It also almost seems to be puppy-guarding.  This really intrigued me and it has been on a slow burn for years in my head.

The great worm I had started many years ago, doing the initial cleaning and putty work when I first got it.  I loved this mini from the moment I saw it.  It has been sitting on my shelf of shame ever since, waiting for paint and collecting dust.  

A couple years ago I was taking Aaron Lovejoy's 4-part, online, airbrushing class (amazing class, BTW) and for a piece to experiment on, I grabbed this wyvern from my Bones creature box.  It got some color, but I was learning and messed some stuff up on it.  It has been hovering around my airbrush station ever since. 

One day about a month ago, I was sitting at my painting station, procrastinating as I worked on a character mini, when I looked up and saw the wyvern crouching there, then looked up and saw Goremaw on its shelf....and BOOM, this idea sprang full to life in my head.

I knew I needed a prey animal for the wyvern and being quite lazy and not feeling like sculpting one from scratch, I searched the Reaper catalog and found Jason's stag.  It will need some converting, but it is a good start.  

Current State

I quickly ordered a new wyvern and the stag from reaper, to get that part moving.

I then spent a few sessions over the last few weeks going over the worm with a scalpel getting rid of every mold line I could find.  I also had to get creative as to how I would mount it to my paint holder as there wasn't a good attachment point (I will be resculpting the base entirely).  The wyvern is out of the package and I started cleaning it last night.  The stag is sill in box.

image.png.9761289b890fb58197a1ec17beb89fb6.pngimage.png.c2e7966bd42e86c7c0ebf9f60493331a.pngimage.png.c114d30b1fddd1c1cb43ef14761b30fc.png

Outlook/Goals

I really hope to get this done in a few months.  I'd like time to do another project for RCon as well, maybe a DS or Moonlight entry.  That said, I know my track record, and the sculpt and jewelry load I have right now.  I simply cannot give this all of my attention.  To that end, I will be painting each piece one at a time, starting with the worm; that way if I don't get time for the complete scene, I can at least enter the worm in Painters.

I hope to be priming the worm tonight and start the airbrush work on it this weekend.  Hopefully, I will have something more interesting to show you on Monday. 🙂

• Like 14

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Goremaw is such a beast of a mini (even in plastic). I used that to rep a underwater lake monster that erupted from the ice. My players were like "nope, nope - I'm out of here!!"

• Like 5

On 2/16/2024 at 3:29 PM, Corsair said:

Goremaw is big enough to drill a hole into his bottom and then run a screw up into him. Attach the screw before hand into a piece of wood, then when you are done, you just unscrew him.

That was my initial intent, but he's half hollow.  I basically stuffed him full of putty and set wires into the putty attached to a Mt Dew cap that fits my paint holder.  I'll bury it all in the putty of the base when I put it all together.

• Like 6

That sounds like a really neat diorama.  And you're right, that wyvern pose does suit the scene you described really well, from what I can see.  It should be an epic entry. I hope you get it done on time.  (You can, and we're rooting for you).

Edited by Gryphon
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Over the weekend, I primed the worm, and then last night, I laid down the base colors with the airbrush.  Deep crevasses are Carnival Purple and the tan is Khaki Shadow.  That is the end of the airbrush for now; it will be brush work for a long time now.  Unfortunately, the airbrush found several mold lines I missed in many places, so the next step will be dealing with those.

image.png.3dcc7c6680fb18f37b58ac9bffa43adb.png

image.png.82ef3dc8ff1489c16a1e9a9b3f746ae7.png

• Like 13

On 2/20/2024 at 2:49 PM, Glitterwolf said:

Since Goremaw erupts from the ground you could also hide some of the mould lines with dirt/earth/sand/flock.

Hey, that's a neat idea. Gotta remember that.

• Like 2

Your project reminds me of the saying "There's always a bigger fish."

On 2/16/2024 at 7:32 AM, TaleSpinner said:

I then spent a few sessions over the last few weeks going over the worm with a scalpel getting rid of every mold line I could find. 

Did you use your heated wax carving tool on this?  How bad were the mold lines?

• Like 2

On 2/23/2024 at 2:54 PM, Serenity said:

Your project reminds me of the saying "There's always a bigger fish."

Did you use your heated wax carving tool on this?  How bad were the mold lines?

I did not, having cleaned it years before I learned that technique, but may be about to. 

Not too bad, but they are in odd places on this mini.  I assume it is a multipart mold.

• Like 4