ANHURIAN CAVALRY HUMAN PALADIN MOUNTED 44091

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree with all the comments on the bases! The grass looks really convincing, I have stopped using static grass, because I never got it to look right. May I ask about how you made the bases? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Samedi said:

I absolutely agree with all the comments on the bases! The grass looks really convincing, I have stopped using static grass, because I never got it to look right. May I ask about how you made the bases? 

I typically glue the base to a steel plates made by wargame accessories with superglue.  They make several sizes that work well will 1 inch/25mm square battle maps.  Then use a putty, or Vallejo’s diorama effects to buildup around and slightly over the base. Vallejo has a good variety of basing stuff.  Once’s that dries I paint it with cheaper acrylic paint like folk art or delta ceramcoat and let that dry. Want the color to support whatever I add to the top.   For the grass I use woodland scenics or gf9 flocking, the also have a variety of seasonal grasses and colored sand/stones. I glue it with 50-50 mix of water_clear Elmer’s school glue that I carefully paint (heavy coat) on the base. I heap the scenics on the glue and use a small brush to push it around and lightly tamp down on it. Don’t want to mash it, but give it enough to set in the glue.   Then I turn the figure upside down over a container to catch the loose stuff.  And gently tap the base sides to free extra and help the grass to stand up.  I will move the grass away and add superglue for the flowers, logs, etc. After the glue sets up I  Then I spray a matte coat on the figure and this seems to keep the grass up 

IMG_8156.jpeg

7 hours ago, Max Retainers said:

Good idea, i've been wondering about how others track who's who during combat.

I like to blend in the unit leaders so they’re not so obvious, they always think the coolest figure is the boss 

Edited by Nial ap Morai
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1