Sign in to follow this  
haldir

a Hobby board/forum everyone should avoid

Don't know how many here are into plastic models & such (espically car models) but I just want to put a stay clear sign for Hobby Heaven (www.modelcarkits.com). Reason for this is earlier tonight I posted askin when a couple of model kits would be out (cause I couldn't find a release date for them) & in my post I said I would be ordering them from my local hobby store, pretty much the guy that own HH gets on there & basically says "so you use my board, why not order them from me", HUH, WHAT?? WTF?? & all the jazz. I couldn't beleive he said that!; here I was thinkin the board was up for all modellers to come ask questions, show off works, talk about the related things about a hobby (hmm, sound familiar), but no I get berated by the guy cause I won't order from him. Sad part is I hear the guy who own HH is a helluva a guy to deal with (not by those comments).

Now everyone is posting on how good Tom is, & his buisness is just like a Mom & Pop store, pretty much saying by me ordering stuff through my local store is wrong & I should only order kits through HH (granted he has them at great prices 10.something vs 15 I would pay at my shop, but you add in 6.50 shipping & well it's not much a bargain), but the nerve, just cause I USED his board for some modelling info.

Sad part is I was able to get the info + code #s off the company's website, after I posted my question, mainly wanted to know if the release date had been met, didn't want to do a preorder & wait couple months order.

This here tells me I defenitly made the right choice to start dropping my model hobby or cut it back to where my mini/gaming hobby is more important, espically with everyone here, & to the "owners" so to speak (Kit, Ron, everyone) a big thank you, you guy have a great board here that allows it's users to freely speak about the mini hobby & the freedom to purchase where that person feel like spending their money, whether it's in the offical store, or a LOCAL store or a online retailer.

THANK YOU!!!

rant off, back to mini talk now!!

Randy M

actually I believe that here they prefer you to buy from the brick and mortar stores.

The B&M stores are IMO much better because you deal with someone directly face to face. besides the are a great place to play

I would second that. Although I know we all love a deal and hate to pay sales tax, this hobby would not be where it is today with out the RL store fronts. Especially those stores that really have managed to break through and bring in more people than just your average gamer. Those are the stores that truly evangalize this hobby and keep companies like Reaper going.

There is nothing wrong with mail order and when I can't get something through the local FLGS then its off to the web I go. But everything I can buy through my FLGS I do. I appreciate the fact that they are there and if I have to wait and extra week for it to get to them through the distribution channel then I'm willing to do that.

I do a lot of mail order these days, mainly because my FLGS closed its doors, leaving a NSFLGS that I dislike to shop at.

All I can say Haldir is don't think what you see on that site is representative of all plastic modellers; I know that you have complained about your hobby in the past. I build primarily armor models, and frequent www.track-link.net as my favored forum of choice. I have never had a bad experience there, and indeed choose to post all my model reviews there rather than at any other site...

Damon.

I've been using mail-order alot over the past year, but I've also been buying alot of stuff from my FLGS as well. Every time I'm in there painting or gaming, I always come out with a few new goodies.

But I can't pass up a good bargain, and when I can get stuff online at 20% off, with no sales tax, and free shipping (I order in mass quantities), I'm not one to pass it up. ::D:

I think you may need a breather. Unless I missed something, the guy just asked for your business and people on the boards said he was a good dependable retailer. You could of said that you prefer to support your local retailer because if you don't you will be like me and have to drive 40 miles to buy gaming stuff. Like you I rarely find the discounts worth the price of shipping especially when I buy things in small quantities.

Now if I did miss something and people insulted you, then piss on them ::D:

See, I like shopping at my FLGS not only because it's a great place, but it's in NH, so there is no sales tax! And again I have to thank Ladystorm for the great recommendation/referral! It's also easier to go in and buy a couple of figures at a time. When I order online, I tend to order way too much (from my wallet's perspective) so I don't feel the bite of shipping. I have car payments again, so I have to keep my purchases smaller now than I would normally like to.

actually I believe that here they prefer you to buy from the brick and mortar stores.

The B&M stores are IMO much better because you deal with someone directly face to face. besides the are a great place to play

Reaper supports your FLGS because without your FLGS they probably wouldn't exist. If everyone's FLGS decided not to carry Reaperminis, Reaper would take a HUGE cut in their profits, enough that they would probably have to shut down. This is why Reaper will not post new releases in their online store till a week or so AFTER they have been shipped to your FLGS. It's simply a good business practice. You treat your retailers well and in turn they treat you well by buying more stock from you when their stock depletes.

now they are saying I'm polluting the board, oh well won't go back there, I got the info I needed. One guy says I'm polluting the board I'm normally on (which btw Kit, you guys have a fantastic server, the one my nascar models is on is DOWN once again)

Now they are saying since I posted asking for info & then sayin I'll buy it somewhere else, I'm pretty much "using" Tom services :blink: jee I didn't know you had to pay to use a message board these days.

As someone here pointed out, if I don't shop the local store (the store isn't a game store, it's your run of the mill mom & pop hobby store), then what are you gonna be left with when it decides it can't run any more.

Being that I'm an hour from my LFGS I use mailorder, ebay, net retailers more than going to the store, for my purchases, but I love going over there, when I'm in Boise, & I'll drop at least a Grant when I do go over there (take last Sunday, only wanted a couple Vall MCs, but ended up with a couple new Warlords(even boughta grunt pack, Vale elves!!), Khador Manhunter(finally got one ::P: ) AND those paints, no biggee. When I go in there, I feel welcomed & love hearin the games goin on, actually talkin to people about the gaming industry & people actually knowing what I'm talkin about, that's one thing I miss here in town, anymore, as it's really hard to get let along find a gaming group in town/my area.

I don't know maybe I did take it wrong, but when all I wanted to know if they were out, so I could pass the info onto my store, the owner comes on & posts a why order from them, order from me, etc etc etc it justs rubs me wrong that's all. Espically when I thought the board was/had useful info for all. Apprently I was wrong.

back to minis & the gamin industry.

Randy M

I buy from my local FLGS as much as possible. Whenever I manage to get up there I usually buy a mini or three.

As for your problems with that board haldir. It will get you flames there but here is my suggestion: Post a link to these boards and show people how nice we are over here, so they can see how stupid they are acting. Then I would also stop going to those boards as obviously you don't need the stress posting there causes.

I actually thought about that, but I wouldn't want to "pollute" this board with the riff raff that's on there.

I'm done with them, there a couple people I would love to discuss things with as they posted a couple things that really P me f, but I can do that by email, once I get their emails (funny how they are so brave to post, but no emails, hmmm), I even remove the address from my favs, sooo good bye HH, thought about a order at one time with them, but I'll go elsewere, even pay more if I need to, as well

Randy M

Now they are saying since I posted asking for info & then sayin I'll buy it somewhere else, I'm pretty much "using" Tom services

Remember, the message board is payed for by that business - they do it in hopes of promoting their shop. From their perspective, you used one business as a tool to shop another.

The reason to support the FLGS is that they in turn support your hobby. If your FLGS does not, you shop elsewhere - and in this case, your FLGS does not provide the support you require.

On of the big reasons this board exists is because Ed remembers his prodigy BBS days fondly, and he really enjoyed the digital community back then. I think we have created a fun and supportive community here, honoring that memory.

Or something like that.

kit

I guess looking at it from both points of view. They are both valid.

The suggestion for next time, is simply ask the question to ask teh question, don't link it to an outside store.

Ask "when is it coming out", not "when is it coming out becaus I want to buy it elsewhere".

It just sounds like things have gotten out of hand because the more you try to defend yourself, the more you are agreeing with their thinking that you just wanted to use them to get information. Don't get me wrong, I am not condoning their responses, but sounds as if both sides jumped to too many conclusions too fast.