Paint more

Adrift

Yes I love to see painted minis, I do hate discord though, I can't figure it all out, too chaotic for me.

And I like this crowd, here people are friendly and fun, I have no interest in other forums where people are trolling and abusing each other.

I have printed some minis/bases recently.

My intention is to paint stuff I have on the desk, still WIP.

Main thing is time and indeed the spoons to go for it,

Many ideas, many WIP;s so little time and energy sometimes.

• Like 10

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Inarah said:

Close. I think people here are just old, not painters.  😆

If you want to see the painted stuff and enter into discussion about paints, figures, or painting, they're hanging out on Discord. 

I treat discord like a situationship and keep it at a healthy-limited distance. I find that a constant stream of messages with which I need to keep up to be akin to work.

just finished 5 more minis from Moonlight Minis, for the game table. Will seal and post later. 

Edited by Adrift
  • Like 6

I was never great at WiP photos to start, and not getting a lot of responses didn't help (I admit to being somewhat feedback-fueled.. ^^; )

Still am painting, tho. Y'all are welcome to hunt me down on Twitch and watch me do it if you want?

Turns out that streaming helps me paint more? Go figure.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, Glitterwolf said:

Yes I love to see painted minis, I do hate discord though, I can't figure it all out, too chaotic for me.

Yep, I feel the same.

I guess I'm just too old now to figure out new techy things, and don't have a young person to begrudgingly walk me through it.

It's annoying too, Reaper aren't the only mini company to make Discord their home.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Inarah said:

Close. I think people here are just old, not painters.  😆

If you want to see the painted stuff and enter into discussion about paints, figures, or painting, they're hanging out on Discord.

No thanks, I like the crowd here better.  These forums are my favorite place on the internet.

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, pcktlnt said:

Some orc miniature. I need to push harder on the leather highlights, I don't see it at all in the photos.

One thing I like about leather is that you can play around to the point where it looks completely screwed up, then glaze it over with a brown tone and it all comes back together. Real leather is usually all scratched and variegated, so I like to practice making really fine lines and irregular stipples.  Those boots already have a great, worn look!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, GoldenPiggy said:

No thanks, I like the crowd here better.  These forums are my favorite place on the internet.

It's also absolutely insane just how busy that Discord is at times.  So much going on, and it's absolute chaos, which is why I left it in short order.  Forums are also a lot easier to pop in when it works for you, although it can take a little while for the next reply to materialize for that same reason. 

• Like 6

On 2/22/2024 at 8:03 AM, Inarah said:

I'm pretty sure the majority of folks still posting in the forum here haven't touched a brush in years. 

But I agree it would be nice to see more from those who are still painting. 

Yay! I’m a minority! I’ve touched a brush recently! Maybe I can get some of that Infinity Action I have heard about. Must discuss this with the wife. I’m pretty sure she’s not read the Terms of Service, so could be in for a bit of a shock to her system!

Joking aside, I solemnly swear I will post a Show Off thread tonight to appease the minor powers that be, as they ah-drift around. 

For me, posting my WIPs and Show Offs has become an action without reason (‘til now; giving someone else something to look at when they should be painting). I’m not an attention whore, even tho the ReaperCon Bingo may seem like it would be for that purpose. I’m not looking for advice on how to improve, as I am quite aware that I am woefully short on practicing what I have learned to do. Higher highs and lower lows. Better blending. Adding details. I’m not trying my hardest nor best when I paint what I do paint, and what figures I am painting are not the best subjects out there. I barely do any prep, the wet pallet is dry as I old-school it with a ceramic tile, and the amount of basic cleanup to my way too thick layers of paint is staggering. 

So I still paint but I do it for me. It’s not even an escape at this point. It’s just that I paint. I have no plans to enter a figure into ReaperCon. My CMON gallery probably has inches of dust on it, and that was where I was archiving my work. I do have figures that await greatness to be applied to them. But I have a lot of hunchback table tops that I want to do first. If the consensus is to post up the grotesques then so I shall. I need neither a “good job” reply nor a thumbs up, and unless I get directly quoted in the show off thread, it’s unlikely I will ever visit it again. I’m good with that I suppose. 

I do wonder how much of my malaise is stress, that wonderful middle aged crisis, and just generally grumpiness. The attempts at work by the corporate busy bees to engage my enthusiasm always leave them confused at my response. I was pondering this week why I even go to Denton in the fall. It’s not really to learn as I have taken multiples of nearly every type of class by now. I already mentioned I don’t seek attention. I have no need to achieve gold in the contest especially considering what I have painted in the last few years would struggle for bronze. But I do still enjoy it and plan to keep going for the friends, the fun, and the yuzu jalapeño sushi (gotta be a Texas thing; plan to see if our chef in Tokyo can duplicate it next trip). I should note that I have recently noticed that my attitude and mental well being has been improving of late. Maybe because that mid-life blah-fest is concluding. Hopefully.

Now time to enter my time card, relax my back a bit (laptop lurch has it aching), snap a quick couple of photos, and then go wet a brush. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Chaoswolf
This post was recognized by Chaoswolf!

Inarah was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 2 points.

You may feel that you don't need to post your work for attention or warm fuzzies.  You may feel that no one wants to see your mediocre tabletop paint job.  But when everyone stops sharing what they are working on, it becomes like an empty room in here.  Silent.  Cold.  Dead.  Depressing. 

• Thanks 6

I finished another mini today, the Bruja is in show off.

I paint for fun and display, sharing pics is also for fun and I like the interaction with the forumites.

Let's keep this forum alive.

I like to see other people's minis and ideas and stories about minis are often an inspiration to create something I hadn't thought of.

So please show your work, it's no competition but sharing hobby ideas.

• Like 7