NSFW, topless etc. and bonus/stretch goals in Kickstarters. This IMHO should not be a thing.

Okay, I have mentioned this to several creators, but I think this is just ridiculous and getting out of hand. As the title says, stretch goals that are NSFW, topless etc. should NOT in my opinion be a stretch goal, OR at the very least be a combined LAST stretch goal. Don't get me wrong, if that is something you are into, great, but I back most kickstarters now with the intent to print the files for sale, and I cannot in good conscience place those on my convention table with young children around (especially my own). I would rather have a new model that I can sell, then another topless mod of the same model. Is that wrong, is it just me?

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't say that I care, in my current stage of life.

Twenty years ago, I would have been offended - but that has faded over time, just chalking it as Rule 34.

Frog God Games, on the other hand, had a laugh at people suggesting 'Naked Pele' as a stretch goal for Razor Coast.

No, they did not do that - and thought that it was ridiculous.

The Auld Grump - given that the goddess Pele is generally pretty danged naked....

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

It's not my favorite thing, but I look at it like this. If it's STLs, I don't need to print them.

If they're extras, I don't need to select them (and if they come free with everything else, I probably have a friend who will be thrilled with them). YMMV, of course.

I honestly prefer the 'hi, we're naked!' stuff to some of the other things I've seen offered; there's stuff out there that makes my eyes bleed. Thankfully, I don't have to give 'em money. ^_^

• Like 6

No, I don't think it is wrong to not want that, but I do think you're in a minority, as plenty of people seem to be buying it.  I have seen artists at several cons who have portfolio covers that say "18 years or older", so you are not the only one who doesn't want it on display for kids. 

If you think kids are going to see it, maybe you need an adults only section in the back of the booth, like a shelf or rack at adult eye level and not on a table. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, TheAuldGrump said:

I can't say that I care, in my current stage of life.

Twenty years ago, I would have been offended - but that has faded over time, just chalking it as Rule 34.

Frog God Games, on the other hand, had a laugh at people suggesting 'Naked Pele' as a stretch goal for Razor Coast.

No, they did not do that - and thought that it was ridiculous.

The Auld Grump - given that the goddess Pele is generally pretty danged naked....

Almost like someone got you used to the naked. ::P:

• Haha 10

For me, I think it's one of those depends on the creator and the subject...  And if it's something added in halfway, or was always a goal. 

But I also don't paint such, even if some things are close, like how ill be painting Oleana who instead of clothes on the upper half, has conveniently located fluff. 

Provided such stretch goals don't reduce previously mentioned and available stuff, I've no issues with it, even if odds are unlikely I'll print it. 

• Like 1

That's the thing, some creators will put the NSFW stuff before something wanted like a Bust or alternate pose. That's the part that gets me. I am NOT going to pledge for a NSFW, but I am definitely in if we are talking another pose or bust.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

I'm definitely in the 'alternate pose or bust before buff' club.   

Bonus points if it's a bust that's gotten a lot more work, and isn't just "we chopped up the full size version with questionable cut points" 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 2/21/2024 at 6:18 PM, Ratmaster2000 said:

As the title says, stretch goals that are NSFW, topless etc. should NOT

Point of order:  NO YOUR THREAD TITLE DOES NOT SAY THAT. 

Phrasing matters. 

The thread title gives the idea that you dislike two distinct things separated by the “and”.

1) You don’t like skin (..you gave two examples)

2) You have something against stretch goals. 

Phrasing matters

I came into the thread wondering why you disliked stretch goals. 

Original title when I saw the thread:

“NSFW, topless etc. and bonus/stretch goals“

Further Example:

I dislike: Nurgle, Tentacles, and Boat Plugs. 

Three things in a list. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, Gadgetman! said:

Boat plugs are evil, though, so it's OK to hate those...   

I know. 
They could have designed a fix part (if there needed to be a fix part) to look like something.. anything! ..that existed in a 17th century ship. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 4:03 AM, PaganMegan said:

Almost like someone got you used to the naked. ::P:

I did notice that you printed and painted that naked dwarf trollslayer cupid that two of the Patreons sent us.... (Cross Promo from Hardcore.)

image.thumb.png.77bfb2cf5ee2c1c3b4d10114b0fcf29d.png

Oh, my poor virgin eyes....

The Auld Grump

• Haha 8
  • Confused 1