CAV Leagues

I'm going to try to be organizing a CAV league in my area (Buffalo, if any of you are near-by)

I'm wondering if any of you guys and gals are in a league or run a league - what do you do? What do players expect and want, what makes for a fun league, what are some pitfalls to avoid... how do you guys work around semi-reliable and un-reliable players etc.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

We ran a league last year, and I'm starting up another one at the end of the year.

We ran the first one with fixed rosters, and different scenarios and random opponenents. People were fairly random in showing up. I played when necessary to fill out the games.

In my new league I'm putting together a number of unrelated games. I'll run the Super Jag tourney a couple times, I have a couple of scenarios planned, I'm running a game with weird terrain, and I have a Warmaster. My goal is to get the players needing new units each week. To offset the constant demand for new units, I'm letting players play with unpainted units, I'm telegraphing the unit needs at least 2 weeks in advance, and I'm giving away a prize every week. I'll tell folks what blisters they'll need in two weeks, in the hopes that they'll choose one of those for prizes.

I'm also giving away a blister to each player that shows up five times. Five attendances nearly covers the price of a blister in BL points, so I'm just plowing that back into the league.

PS

See.. that is awsome :)  I wouldn't even think of things like that.  I love the idea of getting people blisters for showing up 5 times :)

How do you create the need for new units?

1st games are Super Jag's tourney, which is 2000 points, all CAV.

3rd game is Capture the Flag, which requires an infantry (only infantry can pick up the flag...) and has APCs as "strongly recommended."

4th game has rough terrain everywhere. Aircraft and B-S multi-legs are "strongly recommended."

Either 5th or 6th game will have an island/water layout, and aircraft and hovertanks will get a special bonus. Infantry will also be emphasized.

Then it's back to the Warmaster for some superiority goodness.

Then it's time for some combined arms games, and I'll emphasize those units that can kill the now prevalent soft targets.

Looks like I'll need something that puts a premium on main battle tanks as well.

I figure once I've gone thru the league everyone will have some pretty cool combined arms sections, and I'll be able to do some neat special events for the rest of the year.

PS

Edit: I'll also have some changing JoR optional rules here and there (Full Speed, LDF, hybrid flight, etc.)

Cool.. so it's not like "Yo, you need this or you can't play" and little timmy looks at you with big watery eyes and says "I didn't mow the lawn, so I didn't get my allowence, so I can't afford infantry".

Thats a really neat way of doing things. :) Do you keep games at 2000 pts each so everyone knows what to bring - or do you fluxuate it?

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. How do they players dig it?

Cool.. so it's not like "Yo, you need this or you can't play" and little timmy looks at you with big watery eyes and says "I didn't mow the lawn, so I didn't get my allowence, so I can't afford infantry".

Thats a really neat way of doing things. :) Do you keep games at 2000 pts each so everyone knows what to bring - or do you fluxuate it?

This is exactly the type of info I'm looking for. How do they players dig it?

I'm going to change the points for each scenario. Also, I'll be pointing out that if Mr A wins some infantry in week 1, and Mr B wins an APC pack in week 2, they can swap half the pack and then both have the set for the CtF game in week 3.

I haven't started the league yet (1st games Nov 2) but I'll let you know how it goes.

PS

I've been running a league for most of the last year. Among other things, I have started running campaigns - players chose to be either attacker or defender, with a couple players being mercenaries (to keep the sides even, depending on who shows up).

The campaigns run 4-6 weeks (we play weekly), and I give prizes to anyone who show up for 75% - those on the winning side get a CAV, and the losers get vehicles, infantry, etc.

To encourage new forces, I do a variety of scenarios, similar to Storminators. We have also done "all aircraft battles", and we are going to do all infantry, and a tank only one as well.

As for playing actual league games... I have a handful of scenarios that can be used. They basically all are dependent on whether or not the players can accomplish the objective or not. If you're needing some options then send me an e-mail and I'll get you the information. Simple, easy to use, good fun scenarios.

Regarding what to do for leagues... IMHO, consider making a CONSISTENT night/day of the week to hold games. Otherwise here's a few thoughts:

A) Specific scenarios or general pick up games?

B) CAV only and/or combined arms?

C) Round robin format?

D) One big game a session or multiple small games?

E) Accumulate points or wins & losses?

F) How do you score games, if at all?

G) What is the experience level of your players and what do they want?

Something I've done locally is try to elevate the "popularity" of CAV so that people WANTED to be a part of it. One cool little thing was creating a posterboard with the names/symbols/forces of players and put it up at the store for all to see.

Good luck... stick to fundamentals (i.e.: core rules, limited but appropriate optional rules) and remember that it's a work in progress. The more you do, the better you'll get at running events.

I’ve run a campaign based league for a while, players will come or go, and with a constant storyline going on, players can contribute when and how they please. I don’t really run the tournament format, and keeping track of various player’s is based on a contract system we have in place. Whoever’s earned the most points, is in the lead.

To start a unit in my campaign, you only need 1 CAV (or vehicles or blister of infantry) that’s it. You can of course, try to get some work, but its tough for a merc to start the business, and aside from subcontracts; the big jobs go to the big names.

But we have a way for ya to earn a rep; if you can win a few scrapper duels in our Tolucan Deathmatches, you might be eligible for an entry position in an intermediate circuit. The Tolucan Deathmatch originally was a cash tournament, made it interesting that way. Put 5 in the pot, win round one come back with 10. Put the 10 down to enter round two, and come back with 40 dollars……. That’s more than enough to fill a section.

Key to this is, make the RULES CLEAR AND CONCISE, to avoid situations, use an arena format and eliminate things like terrain modifiers; A few nice walls to block LOS, and if you must, use a laser pointer. Then it’s just a slugfest, really simple. Thing is, since our Tolucan Deathmatches are a Blood Apache sponsored event, we created rules for bribes, issuing hits and twisting a hit into a dive. But with that kind of unpredictability, we just went to a point system, but I do wanna try to get it back to a cash format. Mind you, nobody profited from this except whoever won the event.

Well, winning an intermediate earns you a place in the Cinco de Mayo (we didn’t have enough players this year) 10 dollar entrance, 80 dollar take home for the winner. And this is where you would see the heavy stuff. 80 bucks? Heh, you can do some justice with that; right there is a respectable mercenary organization.

But now with a merc group built up, you can get into some action, where we use the point system to generate contracts, and thus influence the storyline within the campaign.

Of course the other means to get a merc started in our campaign, is simply take your time with it, LWC was meant to be played by several players, so sign up, and I can put you in charge of one of my tomahawks. 7500 points, combined arms; very capable forces. Yeah, it’s a set roster, and your stick with what we have, but it gets you playing. You can build up your mercs at your convenience.

We play out of my attic, and my “League” is mostly family and friends, but we are always looking to make new gamer friends. Lots of my younger nephews and nieces all participate, and their friends; My brother, my Wife, a few friends, so the atmosphere is usually cool. Just don’t feel bad if you find yourself spanked by a 10 year old, it happens.

But the ongoing story helps keep a “history” in place, instead of tracking points in a tourney based system. Players can say, I fought the battle of Bayamon Bridge, instead of I have x amount of points. Reality is points will go to the one who is fortunate to play consistently, and that’s a luxury not shared by everyone. The more consistent players are simply the guys who take more contracts, thus they have a little more bankroll just in case they have to recover losses in battle.

We also try to encourage online participation too, and several guys here have helped influence the Awenasan Campaign. It’s really fun when you got guys from all over the US and the UK, playing along. Currently, Stuart Oldcorn (from the UK) is the CETFOR commander, and he’s authorized the incursion of Cassini by my Tango Rangers. We hope to get more action going soon, once some other projects are dealt with……….