Enchantra

This is Scary

I'm sure some of you many remember the flu vaccine shortage we had last year. Well this year it will be worse because one of the major suppliers in England that makes half the Vaccine for US consumption lost all their vaccine due to a manufacturing issue and then due to the plant being closed for violations.

Having worked in a pharmaceutical factory before I can tell you that you have to meet or exceed incredibly stringent guidelines to manufacture any drug, and vaccines have even more stringent guidelines, so if there were violations, don't expect vaccine out of this company for a while.

Here is the article:

http://content.health.msn.com/content/arti...02.htm?GT1=5370

I've never been a huge fan of flu vaccinations. My philosophy is that the flu mutates so often that what you are vaccinated against might not get you sick down the road. I'd rather just take my vitamins, take care of myself and burn sick people in the purifying flame of a flamethrower. ;)

Vaccinations cause zombies, BTW.

Honestly though, I'm very seldom down with the flu - I have to worry about environmental allergies. I usually get really stuffy around christmas and late spring.

I've never gotten the flu vaccinations, simply because I hardly ever get the flu. I knew plenty of people who got the flu simply because they got the shot. :wacko:

I'll take my chances without getting the shot, thanks.

Because the flu mutates, a new vaccine is needed every year.

Vitamins don't keep you from getting sick.

Article

Flu Vaccine facts from the CDC:

Article

Does flu vaccine work right away?

No. It takes about two weeks after vaccination for antibodies to develop in the body and provide protection against influenza virus infection. In the meantime, you are still at risk for getting the flu. That's why it's better to get vaccinated early in the fall, before the flu season really gets under way.

Updated Dec 10, 2003

Can I get the flu even though I got a flu vaccine this year?

Yes. The ability of flu vaccine to protect a person depends on two things: 1) the age and health status of the person getting the vaccine, and 2) the similarity or "match" between the virus strains in the vaccine and those in circulation.

So if you get the shot, and still get the flu, it doesn't mean you got it from the shot. You almost certainly didn't.

So, yes, it is kinda scary. Not for most of us that post here who are mostly young adults and regular (what the hey does that mean?) adults. But for old folks, the chronically ill, and small children, it will make a big difference.

I'm one of those people that rarely gets the flu *knocks on wood* Last time I had it I was a junior in highschool. That would be almost 12 years ago now. And by all accounts the only reason I got it was because my immune system was compromised from trying to fight off strep and a sinus infection at the same time. I did get a flu shot last year but only because at the time I was dating a man who was taking immunosuppressants due to a Heart Transplant and I didn't want to accidentally bring something home that might make him sick, and ultimately land him in the Hospital.

Such a shortage in the vaccine supply though is scary. It means there are people out there who will not get the vaccine who really need it. Yes you can still get the flu on the vaccine, but your chances of getting the strains you were vaccinated against are pretty slim. You will probably get one of the other strains not included in the vaccine.

You know I have to say being married to a nurse practictioner has opened my eyes to the amount of medications we are giving ourselves these days. Sure there is quality of life and for the elderly and children the shot might do some good. But with the recent polio shots scandal I think I will be staying faaaaar away from immunizations. If it is my turn to contract whatever then it is my time.

One and only time I had the flu vaccine, was the worst fall winter season of my life for respiratory infections. I'll take my chances w/o the vaccine. I'm young and in good health, and will leave the vaccine for old people, kids, and impoverished who a free vaccine might be the closest to medical care and attention they get all winter.

You know I have to say being married to a nurse practictioner has opened my eyes to the amount of medications we are giving ourselves these days.

My favorite is the chicken pox vaccine. It is a disease that is rarely fatal in this country, and the vaccine looses its potency over time. And if you ask any adult that suffered chicken pox and/or shingles as an adult...it's better to have the rash as a kid and be a little uncomfortable, and maybe get a small scar.

You know I have to say being married to a nurse practictioner has opened my eyes to the amount of medications we are giving ourselves these days. Sure there is quality of life and for the elderly and children the shot might do some good. But with the recent polio shots scandal I think I will be staying faaaaar away from immunizations. If it is my turn to contract whatever then it is my time.

Polio Scandal? When did I miss this?

I don't need a vaccination for the flu this time. I rarely get it so what is the point in getting it now? The only time I had the vaccination was last year and I had one heck of a sore arm afterwards for a good three days.

I was vaccinated against Monococcal menigitis in college but that was only because there was an outbreak on our campus. :blink: That was a scary few weeks on campus.

One and only time I had the flu vaccine, was the worst fall winter season of my life for respiratory infections.

But did you have the flu?

My favorite is the chicken pox vaccine. It is a disease that is rarely fatal in this country, and the vaccine looses its potency over time. And if you ask any adult that suffered chicken pox and/or shingles as an adult...it's better to have the rash as a kid and be a little uncomfortable, and maybe get a small scar.

Do you have a source for the claim that it loses potency? The CDC says otherwise.

Article

How long does the vaccine protect someone against chickenpox? Will a booster vaccination be needed?

The length of protection/immunity from any new vaccine is never known when it is first introduced. However, available information collected from persons vaccinated in Japan in the United States show that protection has lasted for as long as the vaccinated persons have been followed (25 years in Japan and more than 10 years in the U.S.). Follow up studies to determine how long protection will last and to evaluate the need and timing for booster vaccination, are ongoing. If it is determined in the future that a booster dose is necessary, your health care provider will inform you. Currently, no booster dose is recommended.

As a parent, why wouldn't you get your kid vaccinated for everything possible? Even with Chickenpox someone has to stay home with the kid, the kid misses school, plus, they're sick! Sick for a week, or get a couple shots. I'll take the shots. And they don't get sick young, Shingles can be very serious. Why chance it? The risk of having a bad reaction are higher than 1 in 50,000. What are the odds of having a serious complication from either the chicken pox or shingles? Much higher.

You know I have to say being married to a nurse practictioner has opened my eyes to the amount of medications we are giving ourselves these days.

You're right, over prescription of antibiotics and the increasing immunity of bacteria is very worrisome. So is the giving of antibiotics to chickens, pigs, and cows in large doses. I don't know where I stand on that. Need to do more research. But on the subject of vaccines, I'll get them every time.

But with the recent polio shots scandal I think I will be staying faaaaar away from immunizations.

Cite? I'm not familiar.

Now, last I knew, a viral vaccine IS THE VIRUS ITSELF! It is a micro dose of the actual virus that "kick starts" your immune system into defending itself. That's why it takes up to 2 weeks for it to take effect. Now just think if they tried to pawn off an AIDS vaccine! Sorry, but I'd rather not get infected, thank you...

The only time I ever really got a flu shot was when I had medium asma. The last time I had the flu was last year actually with that nasty stomach one. As for all these other vaccinnes I actually had chicken pox twice but it really isn't that bad as a kid. I think it is better for children to get sick every now and then cause it strengthens the immune system if you force the body to fight it alone. My dad is a prime example of that. He is 46 and when he is sick he sleeps for about 16 hours and wakes up good as new. If he goes to the doctor we start to worry he is going to die.