Enchantra

This is Scary

Now, last I knew, a viral vaccine IS THE VIRUS ITSELF! It is a micro dose of the actual virus that "kick starts" your immune system into defending itself. That's why it takes up to 2 weeks for it to take effect. Now just think if they tried to pawn off an AIDS vaccine! Sorry, but I'd rather not get infected, thank you...

The problem with AIDS is that it attacks the immune system itself so it weakens what has to fight it. That is the true problem with it so an AIDs Vaccine is possible but probably very very unlikely. Also I believe that some vaccines are actually the dead virus for the immune system to process.

Now, last I knew, a viral vaccine IS THE VIRUS ITSELF! It is a micro dose of the actual virus that "kick starts" your immune system into defending itself. That's why it takes up to 2 weeks for it to take effect. Now just think if they tried to pawn off an AIDS vaccine! Sorry, but I'd rather not get infected, thank you...

Yes, the Chickenpox vaccine is a form of live virus, but is not the verisela(sp?) virus that normally causes the disease. It is a much milder strain that 95% of the time doesn't cause any symptoms, and if it does, is very mild-no fever, a couple spots.

So, don't get sick 95% of the time or almost certainly get sick. Seems like a no-brainer.

Your AIDS vaccine argument is a strawman. It doesn't exist, and if it did would probably not take the form you're talking about.

Your first 2 links contain many common anti-vax fallacies. I don't have time to post in depth about them. Maybe later. I will recommend the Quackwatch website as an excellent source of information debunking almost every pseudo-medical claim including anti-vaccination propaganda. Specifically here.

And here's some info on that Gary Null whose site you linked to.

Article

Null says he holds an associate degree in business administration from Mountain State College in West Virginia, a bachelor's degree from Thomas A. Edison State College in New Jersey, and a PhD in human nutrition and public health sciences from The Union Institute in Cincinnati, Ohio. Edison State, a "nontraditional" school with neither campus nor courses, awards accredited bachelor's degrees based on career experience, equivalency exams, and courses taken at other schools.

The supplement products Null has marketed with questionable claims have included Guard-Ion (an antixoidant formula claimed to help protect athletes from free radicals the body can't control), Gary Null's AM-PM Vitamin-Mineral Formula (a "revolutionary breakthrough in vitamin preparation" that provides the nutrients needed at the best times for the body's anabolic and catabolic activities), Candida Complex (to bolster the body's defenses against yeast infection), Endurance Factor (containing "all the nutrients and enzymes that have made Bee Pollen famous"), Energy Plus (a royal jelly tablet), Rebalancer (a "cleansing formulation" for adults exposed to air pollutants, pesticides, or preservatives, or who have "internal metabolic imbalances"), CoEnzyme Q10 ("may reverse deficiencies and improve organ function, especially in the heart), Sport DMG (an N,N Dimethylglycine product to "improve cardiovascular function and to enhance the body's natural immune response system), and Gary Null's Immune Nutrients ("to nourish and stimulate immune function, not merely at a marginal level of preventing disease and degeneration, but a positive level of striving for wellness and excellence, for optimal health"). The therapeutic claims made for these products were illegal.

In 1992, an Arizona company and its owners agreed to pay $200,000 to settle Federal Trade Commission charges of falsely claiming that bee pollen products could produce weight loss, permanently alleviate allergies, reverse the aging process, and cure, prevent, or alleviate impotence or sexual dysfunction. They were also charged with falsely stating that bee-pollen products cannot result in an allergic reaction. Some of the false claims were made in "infomercials" that were misrepresented as news or documentary programs, even though they were paid ads. One such program ("TV Insiders") featured an interview "by satellite" with "Dr. Gary Null . . . the authority on health and nutrition." Null said that the human body ages because it doesn't produce enough enzymes, and that "you can't get any better food than bee pollen" because it is "loaded" with enzymes and contains a nutrient that "can help the inside of your body prevent the capillaries from aging." Records from the Union Institute state that Null "graduated" on August 31, 1989, which, according to an FTC document, was at least three months after broadcasting of the infomercial began. However, Null was not charged with wrongdoing.

If it quacks like a duck...

As GI Joe said, "Knowing is half the battle."

Yeah, but the other half is making sure you can shoot straight and at your enemies... not your friends! <_<

Hexxenhammer the problem is you can find both points on the issue of immunization. I am still not conviced that immunization is safe and effective.

But I do respect and welcome your views on the subject.

Yes a vaccine is the virus itself but it is a deactivated form. It is pieces of the virus, or dead viruses, it is not a complete living form of the virus.

I refused to let my kids get the chicken pox vaccine. I dunno, every kid I knew growing up got chicken pox at some point and we are all still alive and healthy today. Long term effects of these vaccines is unknown at this time. All the studies that say it is safe are based on, what, 20 years of study, if that? Is there a study that shows what the affect on virus mutation to respond to the vaccine threat over 8 generations of humans? Of course there isn't!

Screwing too much with mother nature is a bad thing! Mind you, I won't even take antibiotics because I think those are overprescribed as well. ;) Sanity is not my ally LOL.

Hexxenhammer the problem is you can find both points on the issue of immunization. I am still not conviced that immunization is safe and effective.

But I do respect and welcome your views on the subject.

As I respect yours. I'm a firm believer in educating myself and others about pseudo-scientific claims.

I checked out Gary Null's home page and I was not suprised to see that it's mostly a web store. This guy is a huckster (and not in the good Deadlands way) and a snakeoil salesman through and through. When you see this disclaimer:

Disclaimer:  The information on this website is presented for educational purposes only.  It is not intended as a substitute for the diagnosis, treatment and advice of a qualified licensed professional.

Throughout this website, statements are made pertaining to the properties and/or functions of nutritional products.  These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and these materials and products are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure or prevent any disease.

on the front page, I guarantee that nothing they're selling will have a better effect on you than a placebo, or actually be dangerous, as ephedra was found to be a couple of years ago. The kind of info he's got on his website my prevent someone from seeking real medical help or gods forbid, from getting their kids vaccinated or treated. People just like this guy get sued by the FDA all the time when they cross that line.

I refused to let my kids get the chicken pox vaccine. I dunno, every kid I knew growing up got chicken pox at some point and we are all still alive and healthy today. Long term effects of these vaccines is unknown at this time. All the studies that say it is safe are based on, what, 20 years of study, if that? Is there a study that shows what the affect on virus mutation to respond to the vaccine threat over 8 generations of humans? Of course there isn't!

Screwing too much with mother nature is a bad thing! Mind you, I won't even take antibiotics because I think those are overprescribed as well. ;) Sanity is not my ally LOL.

The fact is we're not all still alive and healthy. Kids die from chicken pox and the flu. Scarring from severe cases is no picnic either. The fact is that fewer kids get sick if they take the vaccine and thats a good thing. Would you let a kid's tetanus shot lapse? Why not?

And long term effects of vaccines are well known. Scientists don't do this stuff willy-nilly. We've been vaccinating against smallpox for hundreds of years, we've been vaccinating against polio and many other diseases for well over 50 years. The people who got those vaccines are still around. This is nothing new.

And yes, viruses do mutate. Is that a reason to throw up your hands and do nothing about it? Of course not. We continuely fight old diseases that change, and new diseases that pop up.

Mother Nature is harsh. She'll kill you if you don't defend yourself. That's all a vaccine is, defense. Once again, if you fell on a rusty nail, would you get a tetanus shot? Or would you let Mother Nature take her course?

Vitamins don't keep you from getting sick.

No, but they help me use my food better and make up for things I might be missing if I don't eat as well.

Plus I feel kinda funny if I don't take 'em. :)

Vitamins don't keep you from getting sick.

No, but they help me use my food better and make up for things I might be missing if I don't eat as well.

Plus I feel kinda funny if I don't take 'em. :)

Well, if you're a bachelor and eat mac and cheese constantly like I did, then yeah, you probably need them. Beware scurvy. ::P:

When you get a staph infection or Rheumatic fever from a strep infection that has spread through your system you will want to rethink this.