Satire: Annoying stuff

Vinny

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Special rules annoy me. For instance I recently have been effected by an ordinance for noise in the town I live in.

My neighbor has started mowing his yard at 6:30 in the morning on Saturdays. On morning I get up and I ask him if he could wait until eight and he says he will think about it and then starts to mow again 10 minutes later. So I look into the nois ordinances for my town

Bad noise

Radio's, bands etc that can be heard from more than 75 feet away

noises OK any time of day or night

Motorcycles, even though so can clearly be heard over 300' away. Some are so loud I have to roll my windows up when they are next to me on the highway because they hurt my ears.

lawn mowers

Power tools

How is an annoying radio any different than any other noise?

One crotchety old man checking out

You don't need to read that is says "stop" you go by the symbol, colour and shape of the sign. It is one of the things that are fairly global so that different language speakers can cope all around the world. Otherwise how are tourists meant to cope ?

Stuart

Not all cultures assign the same meaning to a color. In some African Cultures the color red means death. In Korea it is considered lucky. Western Cultures associate the color red with a sexual connotation, or at least with a stop sign that it means stop. For Native-Americans Red, the color of Red Ochre is associated with sacred places and in the past was used in burials to denote status.

And yet the majority of countries all use the same sign for a stop signal. Almost like there is a set of international road signs that a lot of countries in the world use. They even tend to use the same three colours for traffic lights regardless of what they associate those colours with in their cultures.

Anyway I was just trying to point out that someone non American not being that skilled in speaking Armerican doesn't seem to be that huge an offence. Not washing that is a different matter.

Stuart

And yet the majority of countries all use the same sign for a stop signal. Almost like there is a set of international road signs that a lot of countries in the world use. They even tend to use the same three colours for traffic lights regardless of what they associate those colours with in their cultures.

Anyway I was just trying to point out that someone non American not being that skilled in speaking Armerican doesn't seem to be that huge an offence. Not washing that is a different matter.

Stuart

No the fact he couldn't speak English didn't bother me really. It was him arguing with me because he wanted an earlier arrival time, and that he smelled unholy.

Let me clarify something here. I know there are international symbols. I think using the example of a stop sign in an earlier post was a bit off, but I was trying to illustrate a point. I wasn't debating if a stop sign was the same in all countries or not. The point is, he obviously could not read English well at all, and I do wonder how he gets around if he doesn't understand a sign that reads, "Such and such 2 miles ahead, exit right, " Or the sign on the door that says "Michaels Receiving."

Well he was there (in the right general location, next door) at roughly the right time. That puts him in the upper quartile as far as I am concerned when it comes to deliverymen. Most times they don't even arrive at the right place on the right day.

Stuart

Very true. But, an arrival time of 10:30 did not make him late so I don't see what his problem was.

Good ol' McLane Foodservice delivery... they are generally SUPPOSED to arrive either before 8 AM when the store is empty (what they call a key-drop-delivery), or right after 8 so they can be finished before lunchtime-rush. They come on two set weekdays and the drivers are ALLEGEDLY given a route and then the stores can all be sent an estimated-time-of-arrival for their freight.

BUT intentions and fact are two different things. The trucks always seem to come later than schedule, and most always seem to still be jamming up the parking lot and drive-thru driveway well into the 11-2 lunch period. What's worse, if we really need the freight and the truck is late, pinpointing where they are through the dispatcher is a nightmare.

THE IRONIC thing is that they like us to have the order for the next friehgt ready just EXACTLY when they want it, and if it's not in the computer on time, they send an automated phonecall to remind us.

Just once I want to go through the electronic telephone menu until I get a live operator, and when he askes me why our order isn't sent yet, tell him, "itn's en-route and ought to be there sometime between 2 PM today and 5 AM tomorrow!" ::P:

English isn't even the "language" of Britain. It's Gaelic. The Angles, Saxons and Jutes were latecomers who didn't adapt well. :poke:

Is that Scots or Irish Gaelic or Welsh? What about Cornish or Manx? When the Scots (who are really just Irish who could swim) destroyed the Picts didn't that destroy the native language of the north of the British Isles? Boudicca (whoever you want to pronounce it) didn't speak Gaelic, so saying it's the language of Britain is pretty wide of the mark. If there's a remnant of a universal british language (and there isn't) the closest thing would be Welsh.

There's a reason English isn't called 'British'.

I find it ironic that nothing in the Alanis Morrisette song 'Isn't it ironic?' actually is.

And that German Lacemaking of the 19th century is not at all interesting (and yes I know there was no 'Germany' for most of that century...)