Sign in to follow this  
mrbuddylee

Anyone from or familiar with Richmond, VA?

Anyone on the board from that area? Wife and I are going there for a week, and we're looking at an extended stay suite outside of the city, but don't know about the neighborhood, etc and we need some help if anyone is from the area.

Thanks!

My in-laws live in Richmond (Glen Allen, actually). I've visited a few times, so I'm somewhat familiar with it, but my wife is much more familiar with it than me.

Maybe I can get her on these boards finally. :-p

What will you be doing there? Which part of the city will you be spending most of your time in?

North or South of the James River?

Ah, well, we're going there for a wedding, and we decided to do the whole touristy thing like visiting the historic sites and taking a train into DC for a day, etc, etc, so I don't know how much time we'll actually be spending in Richmond, but the hotel we were looking at is in Glen Allen, so I was just wondering if it's a good place to stay. The main reason we're looking there is that we can get an extended stay (2 star though) hotel for $300/week instead of staying at a hotel downtown for $125/night.

So, anyways, what should we put top on our list for things to see in the area? And I'm guessing Glen Allen is a good place to stay? The other place was Midlothian (I think) which is also outside the actual city.

Also, how's traffic over that way? Should we rely on public transportation, or is it easy driving? Thanks Flynn!!

Glen Allen is a nice area, so you should be fine with that.

Driving isn't bad at all in Richmond, so you don't need to worry about public transportation there.

If you are going to DC, I'd recommend driving up I-95 to Springfield or thereabouts and catch the Metro from there into DC. You can get to most of the stuff that you'd want to visit in DC from the Metro. And it's alot easier to deal with than driving in DC. I used to live on the outskirts of DC (in College Park, Maryland), and drove into DC about a dozen times while I lived there. Every other time, I'd take the Metro.

Things to see in Richmond? Hmm. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Glen Allen is a nice area, so you should be fine with that.

Driving isn't bad at all in Richmond, so you don't need to worry about public transportation there.

If you are going to DC, I'd recommend driving up I-95 to Springfield or thereabouts and catch the Metro from there into DC. You can get to most of the stuff that you'd want to visit in DC from the Metro. And it's alot easier to deal with than driving in DC. I used to live on the outskirts of DC (in College Park, Maryland), and drove into DC about a dozen times while I lived there. Every other time, I'd take the Metro.

Things to see in Richmond? Hmm. I'll have to get back to you on that.

Awesome, thank you very much for the info...

Now, I'm trying to talk my wife into letting me take my painting stuff, but I doubt that's going to happen...

::P:

Now, where's the closest store that sells minis... ::D: