Elmore miniatures

I was checking out the Larry Elmore website and it has some upcoming projects scheduled for next year.  I was happy to discover that this coming March minis are scheduled for the first time since the old partha days.  I wonder who will produce them though?  Oh well, guess we will all just have to wait and see.

Happy Holidays,

Jimmy

WOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

Awesome, Larry is my favorite fantasy artist!  Only thing is I'm guessing most of the figures will be more of the 'Silver and Steel' chainmail bikini queen sorta stuff. I mean really, so most of Larry's work is cheesecake, he has done other stuff too...

Do you mean Dennis Mize?  Or is there a Denise Mize who sculpts as well?  Dennis I'm so-so on. I think he's a fantastic sculpter, he does a great job on ladies. Nevertheless; I'll be the first to agree, over 90% of his work looks like the same bloody thing.  As some guy put it years ago and I don't think I can say it better myself: 'Not another #[email protected]%@ Dennis Mize knock-kneed, nekkid woman, with her arms in the air..'

As some guy put it years ago and I don't think I can say it better myself: 'Not another #[email protected]%@ Dennis Mize knock-kneed, nekkid woman, with her arms in the air..'

And pinch-faced.  You forgot pinch-faced.

Actually, I have very few kind things to say about Dennis mize's sculpts.  I respect the talent he has, and his prolificity, but I have not seen anything of his that is a) realistically posed, or b) changes the first impression of him I got when I saw "Slave Auction" sitting on the shelf there at the FLGS.

I reserve the right to eat these words if I ever meet him in person.  I'm willing to be convinced.

Actually, I have very few kind things to say about Dennis mize's sculpts.  I respect the talent he has, and his prolificity, but I have not seen anything of his that is a) realistically posed, or b) changes the first impression of him I got when I saw "Slave Auction" sitting on the shelf there at the FLGS.

I reserve the right to eat these words if I ever meet him in person.  I'm willing to be convinced.

I believe I got a similar impression of Boris Vallejo the first time I saw his artwork as a youngling.  Later when I read an interview of him done by the folks of Dragon magazine, my impression was only reinforced.

It seems I have a "winged lion" sculpted by Mize.  It's old, but pretty cool.  I think there are a few other creatures he did that I really liked--giant lizards, tigers, and the like.  The majority of his work that I've seen, however, is the type you described, and while I own a number of them (not "Slave Auction"), I'm not really in the market to buy any more...

(*quickly hides his "Jahenna, Vampire Seductress" behind the monitor...*) :p

Not being a sculptor myself, I find it amazing that any one sculptor can get as much variety in facial features as they all seem to.  I do find that Klocke, Garrity, Guthrie, and Mize figures all have facial characteristics that I can recognize (e.g. the face of Frulla, Female Giant, by Sandra Garrity closely resembles smaller ones she's done), but not too closely that I get bored with any one of them.

Infinity

I've seen photos of the first 2 greens. Dennis does good detail work, and these are chock full of it. But the woman has the typical Dennis Mize woman look with the weird cheeks and chin...

>.<

That said, Tom Meier is coming back into the miniatures fold, and will be making some figs too! If any of you have seen his RP stuff, he is good.

There will be other sculptors, and other artists profiled in the line too. Plus, a line of monsters.

-Daniel

Are there any links to these pinch-faced, knock-kneed nekked mini's so we mortals can also compare?

- purely in the interests of research, you understand.

Do a search for "Slave Auction" and "Dennis Mize" on Google, and you'll turn up something.

Either that, or maybe someone has some of the mid-90s dragons with female counterparts, you could look there.

Are there any links to these pinch-faced, knock-kneed nekked mini's so we mortals can also compare?

- purely in the interests of research, you understand.

HAHAHA!  

And even another great big HA!  

That was pure comedy Smokin'!   :laugh:

I never noticed Mize before, but upon seeing the pic Polo posted, I recognize him from Ral Partha's hay-day.  

I keep thinking "contortionist" now, but I remember when I thought his (meaning Ral PArtha as oppossed to the individual) were the Cat's Ear lobe.

Now, it's the likes of Klocke, Guthrie, Wiens and Garitty that got the machessmo goin' on!  Man, does Reaper ever have a horde of talent in their closet!

KEEP THE SCULPTORS HAPPY REAPER SUITS!  

:)

Sorry Frosch gotta kinda sorta disagree with you. Pinch-faced? I've always liked the faces Mize does. I think he's got a good eye for the human form and does some of the best female figures out there. Yeah, maybe most women aren't as slender and attractive as he does them but at least their proportions are possible. I haven't yet seen some gal from Mize yet with stick-like legs or boobs bigger than her head.

I just complain because 75% percent of his figures seem to look just alike. He's a very talented man and figures like Jahenna and Tyden vary from the norm. So why can't he seem to do others like this? Why does 75% + have both arms up in the air like shes being mugged?  I looked though his old 'Titans of Terror' from RP and EVERY single human in the box has his or her arms up in the air!

If anyone wants to see figures by Mize a massive number of the old RP line were done by him. I'm going to try to photo and post some of mine if I can find some decent ones I've done.

Overall I like his stuff, he ranks right up there with Garitty and Guthrie to me, it's just some things confuse me. Also I love Meier, seeing more stuff from him is great.

JT, you're certainly welcome to disagree with me.  I'm speaking now, with Vosphur (Mize) standing next to the Egyptian-looking Malvernian (Garrity), and there's just no comparison, just from the level of detail, and the pose.

I assume that Frosch is speaking about one of the Black Legionnaires (2464, 2465, 2489, 2490, 2610), in which case I would agree with him about which sculpting style I like more (Garrity's).  Still, I really like Tyden (2608), a "definitely-Mize" piece (especially after seeing Mengu's painted version of it in the "Show-off" area).

**Warning!  Art History tirade imminent!!  Turn back for your own good!!**

I'm probably going to regret this.  Of the two sculptors in question, I think Garrity's work is more fluid and natural, like classical greek sculpture with a little Rodin-realism thrown in.  Mize's work seems less-fluid, more blockish--the characters "float" rather than being pulled realistically by gravity as Garrity's poses suggest.  Mize's armor is simply decorative and sometimes impractical, while Garrity's armor is first practical and then elegantly decorated.

Which is better?  As has been suggested, it is purely a matter of style and individual preference, as has always been the case with art.  I like Mize's stuff--it's far superior to anything I could sculpt, and I'd pay money for a lot of it.  But, speaking as someone who is trying to build a healthy collection of "unimportant" NPC figures (villagers, children, slaves, etc.), I have enough of Mize's interpretation of that type, and I would like to see more of what Garrity can produce in that area.  Yet, let's keep them both!

The question I guess this poses to Lady Garrity is "How do you make a slave miniature interesting and fun to paint and look at without resorting to the Mize-style answer of 'strip her and pose her like this...'?"  I'd really be interested in seeing her answer, and I'd like to see some more Mize stuff--hopefully with some more variety.

Infinitely apologetic (go back to your regularly-scheduled program...)

Since I am much more of the school of thought that says art should be representative, and I tend to judge a mini by how lifelike it is, your point is taken, Infinity.  Thank you for that bit of middle ground.

As for "interesting slaves", I think Oswald the Overladen is quite interesting and well done.