Sign in to follow this  
Neyuttad

Superman is dead

So because we stand against the creation of millions of humans only to slaughter them for research that actually has no better chance of suceeding than similar research using non destructive means, we deserve to be belittled and called names?

:devil:

In the case of the minority of people who attempt to make their religious views public policy to be inflicted upon the rest of us, the answer is yes.

Tommy. ^_^

Here, HERE! And Halleluiah, Tommy! ^_^

I agree with Spartan. This thread is to morn the passing of a much beloved hero of our time. Please have some respect. If you wish to discuss the issue of stem cell research, what ever your view, please start a new thread.

He was Superman both on and off screen.

He could not fly, nor was he bulletproof, but his heart was made as indestructible and as strong as the Last Son of Krypton himself - as these last 9 years have proven.

He will be remembered, and he will be missed.

Who said that? You have a unrealistic view of stem-cell research if that's what you're refering to. There are thousands of frozen embryos sitting around in labs all over the country. The owner of those embryos has to pay a storage fee for them. As soon as they decide they don't want any more kids or don't want to pay the fee, those go right in the bio-hazard garbage. Yes, that's a much better use for them than research.

I disagree with that practice as well. Lets just make lots of babies and then pick the one we want; kill the rest. It's cheaper that way.

In the case of the minority of people who attempt to make their religious views public policy to be inflicted upon the rest of us, the answer is yes.

Right to Life is not a religious view; it is a stance that we shouldn't cheapen life by killing the unborn, old, and unwanted just because it is easier or more convienent. It happens to coincide with the views of many religions, but that does not make it a religious stance. In the US, the following for Right to Life is nearly equal to the following for ProChoice, hence the reason that niether side has gotten much legislation passed since the judicial decision in the 70's.

Isn't this thread about the death of Christopher Reeve?

Sorry Spartan, but the attack came here. Mr. Reeve was a great man, even if I didn't always agree with him politically; thus I will say no more on the subject.

TS

"But most will remember this sad day as the day the proudest, most noble man they ever knew finally fell. For those who loved him -- one who would call him husband, one who would be his pal, or those who would call him son -- this is the darkest day they could ever imagine. They raised him to be a hero: to know the value of sacrifice, to know the value of life. And for those who served with Superman in the protection of all life comes the shock of a failure: the weight of being too late to help. For a city to live, a man had given his all and more. But it's too late. For this is the day that a Superman died." - Superman #75, 1992 (written by Dan Jurgens)

"But most will remember this sad day as the day the proudest, most noble man they ever knew finally fell. For those who loved him -- one who would call him husband, one who would be his pal, or those who would call him son -- this is the darkest day they could ever imagine. They raised him to be a hero: to know the value of sacrifice, to know the value of life. And for those who served with Superman in the protection of all life comes the shock of a failure: the weight of being too late to help. For a city to live, a man had given his all and more. But it's too late. For this is the day that a Superman died." - Superman #75, 1992 (written by Dan Jurgens)

Well said.

Sorry Spartan, but the attack came here. Mr. Reeve was a great man, even if I didn't always agree with him politically; thus I will say no more on the subject.

TS

I'd never ask anyone not to defend themselves. I was just hoping to remind everyone that this is a wake of sorts and I think we'd like to keep this thread on topic.

Well said Fuzzy. ::):

I'm not the comics-savvy Superman fanatic that Steve is, but I remember seeing the first Superman film when I was about ten or eleven, and I agree.. he WAS and will ALWAYS be Superman to me, even though not the original. I also saw him in a film called Somewhere In Time. If any of you have not seen it, you should. It's his finist acting IMO.

Mr. Reeves courage and accomplishment will be a legacy to the world, long after his film work, not unlike that of his predecessor in the role, has gone the way of trivial nostalgia. Reeves showed himself to be a remarkable human being, and his work will continue on in the foundation that bares his name.

On a perhaps less important, but equally sad note, the world also Sunday lost Ken Caminiti. Caminiti, the 1996 National League MVP (then playing for the San Diego Padres), died of a heart attack at the age of 41. His once impressive on field accomplishments were ultimately over shadowed by his battles with drug abuse and his admittance of steroid use.

Mr. Caminiti and Mr. Reeves, I hope you both have found the peace you both deserve.