Sign in to follow this  
FreeFall

Adepts & Solitaires

OK, after reading through the rulebook I am once more confused on a poitn I thought we ahd settled. Unique solitaires and adepts. Bryan stated on here somewhere that Unique solos and Adepts lose their Unique status while using a single faction compant. In the book however, it sounds like only certain models lose their unique traits. For example in the Overlords, the Onyx Chevaliers are listed in the chart to lose their unique status, but the Onyx Golems are not.

So my question is, which is correct? DO all Uniques lose the unique trait, or only certain Unique models?

OK, after reading through the rulebook I am once more confused on a poitn I thought we ahd settled.  Unique solitaires and adepts.  Bryan stated on here somewhere that Unique solos and Adepts lose their Unique status while using a single faction compant.  In the book however, it sounds like only certain models lose their unique traits.  For example in the Overlords, the Onyx Chevaliers are listed in the chart to lose their unique status, but the Onyx Golems are not. 

So my question is, which is correct?  DO all Uniques lose the unique trait, or only certain Unique models?

Certain Unique, Adept, and Solo models, as detailed on the chart in the Rulebook, not ALL adepts, Uniques, or Solos.

Your example is accurate - Onyx Golems remain unique, and thus only 1 may be fielded per company, whereas Onyx Chevaliers become non-unique Solos and you may field one of them per Troop, in an All Overlord Company.

Note than some adepts become non-adept Grunts, and others remain Adepts.

**edit - corrected myself

Edited by Reaperbryan

In the rulebook chart - non unique/Adept Models Treemen,Bear-riders, Paintender, Onyx Chevaliers are listed. So all of them are no longer solitaires and you should be able to field a troop of them. If not, why the Chevaliers which are solitaires initially? And, where would that distinction be found? Goblin skeeters start as adepts and become grunts which can be fielded in multiple troops.

... no longer solitaires and you should be able to field a troop of them ... Goblin skeeters start as adepts and become grunts which can be fielded in multiple troops.

They are no longer Unique, but are still Solitaires. The Skeeters were already Soldiers, which can be fielded in troops - they just change from Adept to Grunt.

Effectively, the rule changes specific data cards from "only one data card" to "as many data cards as you could normally field by standard force composition".

They are no longer Unique, but are still Solitaires.

Effectively, the rule changes specific data cards from "only one data card" to "as many data cards as you could normally field by standard force composition".

In Bryan's post he says that with this rule you can field a troop of Chevaliers. Chevaliers are unique solitaires to begin with. The book says "Unique Models become regular, non unique Models. Adepts become Grunts". Onyx Chevaliers would become non unique solitaires. Either that is incorrect or there is some reason why Chevaliers alone may change from Unique to adept as well as loosing their solitaire status while all the others remain solitaires or monsters (except adepts). Bear riders are also cavalry like Chevaliers so the same should apply to them as Chevaliers.

I can see monsters remaining solos as non unique monsters but the way it's written is rather abiguous. My interpretation would be:

Unique Models become regular, non unique Models. Unique Solitaires become non unique adepts. Adepts become grunts.

The way I read it is just what Bryan said, that Unique soloes become non-unique solos. Adepts become regular grunts.

The fact that the Golems stay unique is annoying to me, but that's ok. That old thread got me a little confused originally, but I can live with it.

BTW, anyone interested in buying some extra painted Onyx Golems? :B):

Ah, now I see the source of the problem:

...Onyx Chevaliers become non-unique Adepts...

Brian - has this changed from OLE? Or perhaps I'm misinterpreting page 112. I bolded the part that might be misconstued:

...these Models are no longer considered Unique or Adept (meaning you may field multiples or multiple Troops).  Unique Models become regular, non-unique Models.  Adepts become Grunts.

I took the last two sentences to be the rule. The bold part refers to Uniques and Adepts separately, not together.

Okay, thinking about it, we need to consolidate the various rulings and clarifications that have been made on the board. If one is not being worked on, I volunteer my services to maintain a FAQ/Errata for Warlord.

The way I read it is just what Bryan said, that Unique soloes become non-unique solos. Adepts become regular grunts.

Quoting Bryan

"Your example is accurate - Onyx Golems remain unique, and thus only 1 may be fielded per company, whereas Onyx Chevaliers become non-unique Adepts and you may field one troop of them, in an All Overlord Company."

Per the statement in bold print, Chevaliers change from unique solitaire type Solo models to non-unique adepts. Adepts are not solo models but soldiers so they can be used in a troop in whatever number the leader models data card allows but only one troop of them can be in a company. This should apply to Banshees and Bear Riders as well.

Please bear with me here. I not trying to create a rule of my own but trying to think it through with aid of the forum.

OK, the faction-only non-unique change affects only the number you may have in a fighting company. Solitaires will still be solitaires; they just loose the Unique status.

I'm not very familiar with the Onyx Chevaliers. If they start out as Unique Adepts, they would change to Non-Unique Grunts. In that case they were never solos to begin with; just unique. In the case of a Unique Adept, the change to non-unique grunts means you can field them in a unit just as you would any other grunt.

If something is a Unique Solo (for example, Mossbeard) it becomes a Non-Unique Solo. You can have more than one, but there can still be no more Solo units in your company than there are leadership models. You must retain a 1:1 ratio of Leaders to Solos.

Say if I wanted to run two Mossbeards in my Fighting Company. I could choose two of the cheapest Leadership models I could get plus their minimum number of grunts, then I'd be able to take the two solos.

If I didn't have the requisite points to buy the two solos plus the "balance" of normal troops, then I wouldn't be able to field that troop.

As abngi and Cerridwyn1st have already noted. ReaperBryan response was probably a mistake. Replace Adept with Solo and it makes perfect sense.

This same subject was discussed in detail earlier but the topic is so old it dissapeared. I wish we would have pinned it, it would have solved many a question, and have been a good start for the FAQ abngi suggested.

Unq. Solos become Non-Unq.

Adepts become Grunts.

Unless something has changed significantly This is how the rules stand.

AHHH!

Chevaliers do not become ADEPTS - They remain Solos. I did not have the Data Cards in fornt of me and was working of the impressiont hat we were discussing ADEPTS . . .

So here is the REAL Skinny: They lose their non-unique status - but remain Solos. As with Mossbeard, you could hten field more than 1, but as Solos, not more than 1 per TROOP already in your company.

yeesh . . . I am editing my above, but not those who quoted me . . .

Only the models on the list indicated on page 112 have their status changed regarding the Unique/Adept rarity control indicated on their data cards.

Any Models not on the list on page 112 are unchanged.

If anyone needs to get in touch with ReaperBryan you can find him at 413 Doghouse Row.