Why do I torture myself?

Qwyksilver

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Although I am very happy with the results of the Sox win, I am horrified and embarassed for the behavior of fans in both Boston in the Kenmore/Fenway district, and my current home in Lowell, near the college. It is okay to cheer and enjoy the victory but public drunkeness, fires, tipping cars, vandalism, and fighting with the police is not acceptable. Those who took part in this behavior are beneath contempt, and I hope you are made an example of by the legal system so further behavior will be curtailed when we finally bring home a WS championship.

Just because I am superstitious...

PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE DON'T LOSE IN THE WORLD SERIES GUYS...

:lol:

At least Bill Buckner doesn't play for you guys anymore.

::D:

I can't hate Bill Buckner. Yes he botched a routine play.

The Sox still had game 7 to play the next day and failed to win.

The entire team failed, not just the first baseman.

I loved how the Yankess dragged Bucky "F'in" Dent (okay that's what we call him here) out for game 7 for the first pitch. Next year, maybe we will see a disinterred Babe Ruth if they get desperate to try to jinx us.

Can't wait for tomorrow night.

Good luck Cards. Hope it's a great Series!!! I still want you to lose though :devil:

Well, Game 1 is over and done. Great game Red Birds! It looks like this is going to be a great series! I just hope the Sox aren't building to another torturous let down like 1986.

And damn, what a day for New England sports. 4 PM the undefeated Pats face off in Foxboro against the undefeated Jets. Soon as that game is over, Game 2 of the Series starts.

Now, on to the superstition.

PLEASE OH PLEASE OH PLEASE DON'T LOSE GAME 2 GUYS...

My problem with the Yankee's is this...

George Steinbrenner has more money than any single group of people could spend. Therefore he doesn't care if his team violates (repeatedly) the salary cap each year. He just pays the fines and moves on. Not only does this violate the principle of the salary cap, but it falsely inflates the salaries of other players and creates an unfair advantage for those that can afford to pay the fines (Primarily George Steinbrenner as he's the only owner that can really afford to do so).

Rumor has it that Carlos Belltran (sp?) is going to be the first player to ask/make $20M in a year. That's going to move him out of the Astro's because they can't afford him, but who could? Let's see... George Steinbrenner maybe? Talk about wrong... Talk about setting a rediculous precedant.

I think Manny Ramirez and Alex Rodriguez are both making more than 20 million per year over the life of their contracts.

I don't begrudge the players for asking for whatever the owners are willing to pay them. I just hope MLB watches what happened to the NHL and takes careful note. Besides, there has been a downward trend in baseball for player's salaries over the past 2 years. At least for the middle and high middle quality players.

Rumor has it that Carlos Belltran (sp?) is going to be the first player to ask/make $20M in a year. That's going to move him out of the Astro's because they can't afford him, but who could? Let's see... George Steinbrenner maybe? Talk about wrong... Talk about setting a rediculous precedant.

Don't count the Astros out just yet. The rumor in Houston (according to my sources) is that Beltran is shopping for a new agent. Most are taking this as a hopeful sign that he isn't hung up about getting A-Rod kind of money. We Houston fans can only hope...

My problem with the Yankee's is this...

George Steinbrenner has more money than any single group of people could spend. Therefore he doesn't care if his team violates (repeatedly) the salary cap each year. He just pays the fines and moves on. Not only does this violate the principle of the salary cap, but it falsely inflates the salaries of other players and creates an unfair advantage for those that can afford to pay the fines (Primarily George Steinbrenner as he's the only owner that can really afford to do so).

He wouldn't be the first. I believe A-Rod's contract is 10 years for $245 million. Ramirez makes a bundle also and I'm pretty sure he averages over $20 million a year. Salaries dropped a bit after they got their contracts because teams realized/decided that they were overpaying players and not getting enough (or losing money in many cases).

I wouldn't be surprised if Steinbrenner makes a run for Beltran (and a few pitchers) because his outfielders are getting old. And yes, he does have the money to do it. Apparently, the Yankees make like $600 million each year, despite the salaries (thanks to their cable contract and stadium deal).