Sign in to follow this  
Vinny

Dune: Land of Sand

Caleb visible shivers when Araore talks about harkonnen water being spilled. "It seems like we have a plan so lets moves The quicker we get there the sooner This will be resolved."

"Are there any other issues we need to know about, supplies, refueling points, secure comm channels, passwords for friendly troops ? From what I have seen of this world in the short time I have been here we don't want to rush into the waste without proper precautions."

The faintest of smiles creaces Chaylyn's face as he says, "That is prudent thinking Sebastion."

"Master Hawatt, will you be providing the gear necessary for a desert crossing? As you know, on Arrakis, one must prepare for possibilities and not probablities."

Hawat pulled the tape out, and sat down again.

"Indeed." Thomas turns back to his superiors. "Do the Fremen know that we are coming to resolve this, or is this covert?"

"We have sent the Fremen a message to wanr them of our arrival. However, we are not sure if they received it, due to the disrupted frequency. However, if the Fremens are still there, they should not be hostile if they know we are Atreides, especially when we are sending you with Chaylyn and Ararore." he said, nodding to the Fremen.

"There is no Atreides strategic points from here to the Sietch, but there is a rock crag section 30 miles from it. You could land your Carryall there and ride the rest of the way on trikes. The risk of attracting sandworms are somewhat high, but it might be safer than directly heading to the Sietch via aircraft."

"Are there any other issues we need to know about, supplies, refueling points, secure comm channels, passwords for friendly troops ? From what I have seen of this world in the short time I have been here we don't want to rush into the waste without proper precautions."

"All aircrafts have been fueled and ready to go. There are a few ornithopter patrols in the area, but they know you will be coming. Any supply you might need can be procured from the depot near the starport where your Carryall is docked."

"Master Hawatt, will you be providing the gear necessary for a desert crossing? As you know, on Arrakis, one must prepare for possibilities and not probablities."

"I have told the quartermaster at the depot to supply you with any basic eqipment that you will need. For a light fee, he can supply you whatever you can afford directly from the Atreides military storage." the Mentat replied.

"Seargant Leonard is waiting outside. The truck is ready, and he will take you to the spaceport. Remember... this situation is very delicate. We do not want to jeopordize our friendship with the Fremens."

The other officers, including the still angry Hallack, filed out of the room as Hawat dismissed them.

As Thomas was about to stand up from his seat, Hawat walked over and placed his hand on the man's shoulder.

"Thomas... I am trusting you with an important mission. I know you will not fail the Duke, yes?" the Mentat said with a kind smile.

"30 miles is nearly forever out there. I do not know what the 'trikes' are but if they are mechanical will it not almost automatically summon a worm?"

"30 miles is nearly forever out there. I do not know what the 'trikes' are but if they are mechanical will it not almost automatically summon a worm?"

"I do not intend for you to use the trikes over such a distance, but as it is open fields, the trike can be pretty fast. If you travel in quick bursts from rock crags to rock crags, you might be able to avoid a worm should one come after you. A Thumper might also come in handy should you need to distract the worm a bit while you ride to the nearest rock. Remember, they are for last resort uses. If you cannot reach the Sietch via Carryall, then the trikes would be your last resort..." Hawat said.

"I shall succeed, my lord," Thomas replies. "Does the equipment we will be able to get include a stillsuit?"

"Stillsuits? Imagine how effective our troops would be in the dunes if only we could equip our men with such technology..." Hawat said with a smile as he shooked his head.

Thufir patted Thomas shoulder again, and began walking towards the door.

Soon, you are left alone in the conference room. The main door was thoughtfully left open for you, and you can hear a truck starting up outside.

Caleb states his dissaproval, "I have worked spice mining operations before this and any machine on the ground will attract one of those accursed worms. I will refuse to ride any trikes across the desert. I would rather walk it than try to ride across it." Caleb turns to Sebastian and says, "I don't know much about Carryalls but could you possibly fly a little bit above the ground. That might keep us from being detected. While we think about that option we should also make a list of supplies we will need. One item that is without saying is a huge amount of water if we can get it. I don't know how much the Atreides has stockpiled but you can never have to much out in the desert.

"Assuming the craft is in good order I can keep a carryall as close to the ground as you want it to be. As long as we don't fly in a sand storm. That would tear it apart in pretty short order."

He then gets up and heads for the truck.

Caleb follows Chaylyn. A real stillsuit. I cannot believe we are going to be getting real stillsuits. I've seen them before but to actually get one is amazing Caleb catches up to Chaylyn and takes another swig from his litterjon.